It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police plead for danger pay, Tasers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Police plead for danger pay, Tasers

www.thewest.com.au

WA frontline police should get danger money and the number of Tasers issued should be doubled because of an almost 30 per cent rise in assaults on officers in the first four months this year, their union said yesterday.

New statistics show there were 485 assaults on officers in the four months compared with 378 in the same period last year.

Union president-elect Russell Armstrong said increased safety risks meant all WA police officers who were not office-bound and did regular frontline duties should get a penalty rate.

He also believed that the more than 3000 officers who fi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
This will no doubt set off all of the police haters that get around here but let me point out a few figures mentioned in the article.

485 assaults on officers in 122 days.

That's nearly 4 a day!

Just to put it into perspective a little more, the population of Western Australia is 2,130,800 with 1,554,769 being in the capital city Perth.

So I totally agree that they should get danger pay and more tasers.

It seems pretty clear that someone is taking liberties..and it certainly isn't the cops!

www.thewest.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25/6/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Perhaps if they stopped treating the public in general as criminals and actually made an effort not to be so heavy-handed (as in, they aren't the judges) then this wouldn't be a problem?

If you need to domineer a person to try and get them to answer a simple question, its no wonder they end up lashing out and fighting back.

No sympathy at all, I'm afraid.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

Treat the general public as criminals? Another irrational generalisation.

What's all this about then?

Since Karl David founded Bluey Day in 1995, it has spread from a few police members in Victoria to Emergency Services members and the public from all over Australia, as well as in Canada and America.

The Headshave campaign originated in Horsham, Victoria in 1995 under the name of Crop-a-Cop. Sergeant Karl David (Senior Constable at the time) wanted to raise money for children living with cancer. Since children often lose their hair during chemotherapy, he thought it might boost their morale to see a bald policeman and show that it's 'cool' to have no hair! Each officer had to raise a minimum of $1,000 to participate and in November 1995, 165 police officers gathered in Horsham Town Hall to shave their heads. There were representatives from each state's police forces and the event was shown live on " Hey Hey It's Saturday." The first person shaved on this eventful night was actually a Horsham Council parking officer. The night resulted in $235,000 being raised to assist children with cancer and other life threatening illnesses. What a fantastic beginning!

2008 saw a change of guard at Bluey Day, with a totally new team stepping up to manage the fundraising. A national challenge was put forward to see who could raise the most money with our top three 2008 fundraisers all coming from the Goldfields region in WA. Between them, they raised over $70,000!

www.blueyday.net...

Heavy handed indeed, those inhumane bastards!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Not being funny, but Officers are more likely to get assaulted due to the very nature of their job, they throw themselves in harms way every time something happens be it a crime or an accident.

Lets see whos more likely to get assaulted in this hypothetical example.

A criminal tries to rob an old lady, there is a police officer and a civilian nearby, the officer does his duty and tries to arrest the criminal as he tries to run away, the criminal fights back and hits the officer, whereas nine times out of ten the civilians just walks on by tutting before making sure the coast is clear before helping the old lady to her feet.

Of course officers are going to be assualted , they try to arrest someone who won't 'go quietly' , the criminal lashes out and 'assaults the officer', they wanted to become police officers, maybe under the misguided thought that police are respected , and people do as they are told straight away by the officer, but in the real world its no longer like that.
People see the media reports of 'violent' nazi officers and think ALL officers are the same, and lash out at them.
If you can't take the heat , get out the kitchen.
Like soldiers who want to go to war but not be fired at.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
YAYA "Don't taze me bro" comes to mind.. God that kid was fighting them all the way to the hospital or whatever..

I can come up with a few thousand more if YOU really want me to..

Hurricane in Fl, father tazed in front of kids.

Guy tazed on a roof falls dies, the cop who did it killed himself a short time later.

6 yr old autistic kid tazed..

10 yr old tazed,

list goes on and on and on.. the cops don't need more tazers they need to learn how to treat people like people and not animals..

Yes Tazer is not spelled right.. Taser Tase, happy..

::EDIT::

Forgot naked Wizard.

[edit on 6/25/2009 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

OK, police need tasers, but they need to take care.

There are a lot of crims out there.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

I can't argue with that, but when you get incidents like this:

The Police Union says jail sentences handed down to two men who bashed several police officers during a brawl at the Meekatharra Hotel two years ago will not deter people from committing similar crimes.

Peter Laylan, 52, was jailed for two and a half years for punching Constable Shane Markham in the mouth, knocking out a tooth, and pushing away a female police officer who tried to arrest him.

Laylan threw another female officer, Constable Christina Johnson, to the ground and held her down.

The officers had been trying to break up an drunken and unruly crowd which had gathered at the Meekatharra hotel following a funeral.

Laylan will serve 16 months in prison before being eligible for parole.

Judge Kate O'Brien told the court Laylan's actions set the scene for 43-year-old Leonard Wells' cowardly attack on Constable Johnson.

Wells was jailed for four and a half years for kicking the officer as she lay on the ground, but will serve 18 months before being eligible for parole.

www.abc.net.au...

It's becomes clear why people attack police, they just get a slap on the wrist.

Another example:

The West Australian Police Commissioner, Karl O'Callahan, says he is disgusted with the acquittal of three men accused of assaulting police in the Perth suburb of Joondalup last year.

Robert Mcleod and his two sons Barry and Scott walked free from the Perth District Court yesterday after a jury took one and a half days to find them not guilty of assulting four police officers.

They were accused of assaulting the officers outside a tavern in the northern Perth suburb of Joondalup in February, 2008.

The attack included a flying headbutt which left 32-year-old Constable Matthew Butcher with brain damage. He is paralysed down his left side and his sight is damaged.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
what about this

A YOUNG boy is still "barking" for his dog to come home after police tasered, then shot dead, the family pet on their front porch.

US police in Cincinnati killed Jack, the Bullock family's Chihuahua-mix pet, after an officer was bitten on the hand,

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.news.com.au...

Civil libertarians say the death of a man shot three times with a Taser stun gun in north Queensland this morning "explodes the police myth that Tasers don't kill''.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.smh.com.au...

apparently the gun was fired many more times that the police stated

Do they get more for the guns that they carry ? no

they have them for certain situations that may arise to protect themselves and the community they serve.

the tasers protect officers and public from moderate violent offenders.

They have them to make their jobs more manageable

If anything their job has been made more safe and secure than before.

To end, The officers who are there to serve us should of been on more money before. Not now that they have a band aid on their belt .

Thanks for the thread it s good one.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

It's not just about tasers, it's also about what they get paid for what they do.

A constable earns about $32,000, which is about $25,000 US.

Not much is it?

You'd want some sort of danger pay too if you were faced with the possibility of being attacked doing your job.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Oh ya, when these people go into the police force they know damn well what they are getting into..

Dont give me any crap about what they get paid they know damn well what they get paid.

EXP: I dont get a job working in a convience store because if i get robbed at gunpoint i will fight back, my human nature..

Reason I dont: Because there is a strong chance that the store i decide to attend will get robbed at least 1 time in that 1 yr i work there.

So therefor these cops know damn well what they are getting involved in when they go through the training to become a cop.. I have little sypathy for them and they job they chose to do. If they dont want to get beat up then go work as a secratary, then all they have to worry about is a paper cut.

Besides personally they can all goto hell because most of them will find any reason to rape you of your constitutional rights or just plain flat out start with you for no reason..

1 time I got pulled over and a gun shoved in my face.. Offense: the license plate light was to bright. ironically 20 minutes after this went straight to my local police station to have another cop sign off on it saying it was fixed without touching it and the other cop was like "WTF is this charge, I never heard of this before.."

Therefor they do thier jobs most of the time half'd assed, get a new job if you dont like it or treat some people wit respect and they wont get the crap beat out of them.

screw my spelling to tired.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Ahh so ALL cops are bad because you had a bed experience with one huh?

Did you read the Bluey day page I linked to earlier on?

Police raising thousands of dollars for children with leukemia, that's a helleva way to rape ones constitutional rights huh?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The amount of assaults on cops has risen probably because they have been given tasers. Giving more cops tasers sounds like probably the worst solution to the problem, it's just going to aggravate people into attacking more cops.

Human nature is just as contrary and rebellious as it is passive and submissive.

A school started fining parents for turning up late to collect their children. They noticed that after levying the fines, the amount of latecomers over the next year increased a lot rather than decreased. It just shows you that any problem arising from human nature, will never have a simple solution.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Ahh so ALL cops are bad because you had a bed experience with one huh?

When the "good cops" circle the wagons and protect by the bad cops by lying in court, and when they stand idly by and let there partners commit crimes then yes they are all bad. I have no sympathy for cops, when have you ever seen a so called "good cop" arrest a bad cop in the act or even stand up to one in any way. It doesn't happen, they just stand there and watch their buddy go to town.

Even with video evidence of police brutality they never end up with jail time. When the double standard is gone and the rule of law is upheld then I would change my mind but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

If the "good cops" want to be considered as good, then they need to do their job and clean up the corruption, which is not happening at all.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by miraclerock

well you summed it all up. That sort of thing happens way to frequently lately

we could go on for hours with that one.

That said.
The police do get put into some some extreme circumstances, but that does not mean they can go outside the law and then protect each other unlawfully.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Oh ya, when these people go into the police force they know damn well what they are getting into.. Dont give me any crap about what they get paid they know damn well what they get paid.

I totally agree. When one goes into law enforcement, they know they will face danger everyday, unless maybe if they ride a desk all the time. They know when the are hired what they will be paid and what their job consists of. So, if they don't want the danger element involved, then don't take the job.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

The exception that proves the rule, although I have to admit I missed that it was in Australia and not in the US.

However, how many threads do we have showing police brutality these days? Far too many, for my liking.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I'm all for paying LEO's more but along with that....

Raise the standards for applicants; more education, a complete psychological profile, weed out the violent thugs.

More training, especially in crisis management and interpersonal relationships.

Absolutely no "Blue Code" LEO's subject to the same laws as everyone else.

Actually adhere to "Protect and Serve" no street justice.

Absolutely no racial profiling!!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Sign now the official petition to Ban Tasers at petitions.number10.gov.uk...

There are already 435 Taser related deaths in North America (full list here: Taser News)
Amnesty international recommends a suspension on all use of tasers until a rigorous, independent and impartial inquiry into their use & effects is carried out. (Amnesty International)

[edit on 14-7-2009 by Flyermay]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I think people are generally reluctant to pay Police more because they are generally resistant, consciously or sub-consciously, to the idea of a Law Enforcement Officer.

Seriously. Read that term again. Its very fascist and over-bearing. It implies power and control. People don't want to pay - much less pay more - for being watched, harassed, bullied or abused.

At some point they were more commonly called Peace Officers. They were there to protect and serve. They were an integral part of communities and were helpful to citizens.

Somebody decided they needed an image make-over. I wonder why?

You get out what you put in, that goes for pay to. They shouldn't get more unless they give more. If we give more, then we expect more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join