It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

possibility of ET life on Saturn moon, Enceladus

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Hi all just woke up this morning with the words 'possible extra terrestrial life' buzzing in my ears, the BBC breakfast news has just had a small feature about the discovery of signs of an ocean on Enceladus by the Cassini probe which was having a butcher at Saturns Ring (steady) which would point towards a good possibility of ET life.

Surfs up Alien Buddies!

Read more here.

news.bbc.co.uk...

cheers

Berth

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Sorry slightly off topic I know, but your avatar brought tears to my eyes, either from laughing or fear...

As for the report, I'm really sure that where theres water theres bound to be life. Not.
It could mearly be a water pond full of sterile water, but until we get a probe to land there we'll never really know, and even then would we be told the truth..?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Agreed. The Gov will cover anything up. Or could this be a start of the disclosure process

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
we live in hope don't we.. for me it was more the fact that it was getting serious air time and they were talking about extra terrestrial life rather than little green men and playing the x files music..

PS I'm glad you like the avatar it makes me smile too... "Mon the SuBo!"

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Some pesky scientists have just pointed out an appalling design error in NASA’s latest attempts to find life on Mars. This is beginning to look like a conspiracy. Does someone not want us to find life on Mars?

timesonline.typepad.com...

Looks like it's possible NASA's bosses just don't want us to know one way or the other -- because they're not trying very hard. Some might even use the word sabotage.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Sorry slightly off topic I know, but your avatar brought tears to my eyes, either from laughing or fear...

As for the report, I'm really sure that where theres water theres bound to be life. Not.
It could mearly be a water pond full of sterile water, but until we get a probe to land there we'll never really know, and even then would we be told the truth..?

I know I am busting a gut and pissing myself and totaly off topic but the AV made my day

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Hahaha yes nice Avatar. Here is another article on the subject.

The plumes of gas and ice shooting from the south pole of the Saturnian moon Enceladus contain sodium salts, which is the best evidence so far that the satellite harbors a liquid water ocean.

Source

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Soo, life underneath the Frimament ... gwahaha ..

And a bacteria goes as Life, Omg there life every where..

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Europa, Titan, Enceladus and Mars...

Notice the rapid increase of the European Space Agency, and NASA, presenting the case for life within our Solar System. Luckily, Cassini is operated under the administration of the ESA (Thank you!)

..who are quite liberal discussing life and even UFO's.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I am sure there will be found many planets or moons that could be good candidates to find life, however having the good candidates and actually finding life on them are two separate things. Where I am sure Microbes can flourish in many different environments, having all conditions just right for them to thrive is another. The other problem is that just because you don't find them in one spot on a planet or a moon does not mean that they might not be somewhere else. Unfortunately funding is a big problem to keep sending a probe to a planet or moon where you did not find life the first time in hopes you will find it in another spot on the same planet or moon.

With all that being said, I am hopeful that if they do send a life finding probe there, that it will land just in the right spot to find what might be there, if it is indeed there at all.

On another note, I do not know if your Avatar made me laugh or cry, but tears definitely came to my eyes.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Arthur C Clarke anyone

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by badBERTHA
we live in hope don't we.. for me it was more the fact that it was getting serious air time and they were talking about extra terrestrial life rather than little green men and playing the x files music..

PS I'm glad you like the avatar it makes me smile too... "Mon the SuBo!"

that's like putting a jar of treats right outside a dog cage and opening the lid a tiny bit.

watch the doggies drool.

when did you decide what to believe from the media "mouth" and wht not to believe?

is it always so selective based on your tastes?

edit: oh and.. er... have a looky..

Like the other Gigantes, Enceladus had serpent-like lower limbs, "with the scales of dragons for feet"

en.wikipedia.org...(mythology)

greeeeat .. first Icke's warnings.. then a "V" remake.. then this..
i wonderonate what strange beings will "come from another place"

-

[edit on 25-6-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
One of Saturn's moons, Titan, has many geometric intelligently designed structures and is loaded with humanoid holograms and statues.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOmen
Agreed. The Gov will cover anything up. Or could this be a start of the disclosure process

The government hasn't covered anything up...The idea that Enceladus may have an ocean has been known for a few years now. Over on the ATS "Space Exploration" forum, we have been discussing life on Enceladus for quite some time now.

I made a thread over a year ago discussing the possibility of life on Enceledus:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's one from a year ago where people were discussing the chances of life elsewhere, and Enceladus was brought up as a prime candidate.

So there may be new evidence in the question as to water and organic molecules on Enceladus, but the news itself is not new.

[edit on 6/25/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by amari

One of Saturn's moons, Titan, has many geometric intelligently designed structures and is loaded with humanoid holograms and statues.

you do have links and or pictures to support this don't you??

[edit on 6/25/2009 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by amari

Really?

I, for one, have never seen the photography that shows anything of the likes you are presenting to this conversation.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

You are absolutely correct - this information update through the benefit of Cassini helps to confirm what they already suspected, for me it was more the manner in which it was presented that struck me.. all good though

cheers

b

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by badBERTHA

Oh -- I agree that this is a very interesting science story worthy of discussion here on ATS. Thanks for posting the article.

...I just don't understand why some people always needs to say "the government was hiding the truth from us" or yell "disclosure" every time another scientific announcement is made about the solar system.

Isn't the announcement that liquid water and organic materials exist on Enceladus interesting enough for those people without having to bring a government conspiracy into the mix? Do they really need government conspiracies in order to make science interesting? The scientific importance of a discovery like this gets lost in all the conspiracy garbage.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Really?

I, for one, have never seen the photography that shows anything of the likes you are presenting to this conversation.

Well then let me see if I can help... Seems I missed this by a day as I was busy creating the pages on my site

Well okay so I'll get over it, I will just have to give up those two hours of sleep a night

Fountains of Enceladus

Caption: Fountains of Enceladus Recent Cassini images of Saturn's moon Enceladus backlit by the sun show the fountain-like sources of the fine spray of material that towers over the south polar region. This image was taken looking more or less broadside at the "tiger stripe" fractures observed in earlier Enceladus images. It shows discrete plumes of a variety of apparent sizes above the limb of the moon. 27 November 2005. Credit: NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute

PIA07758

Credit: Cassini Imaging Team, SSI, JPL, ESA, NASA

Explanation:

Ice geysers erupt on Enceladus, bright and shiny inner moon of Saturn. Shown in this false-color image, a backlit view of the moon's southern limb, the majestic, icy plumes were discovered by instruments on the Cassini Spacecraft during close encounters with Enceladus in November of 2005. Eight source locations for these geysers have now been identified along substantial surface fractures in the moon's south polar region. Researchers suspect the geysers arise from near-surface pockets of liquid water with temperatures near 273 kelvins (0 degrees C). That's hot when compared to the distant moon's surface temperature of 73 kelvins (-200 degrees C). The cryovolcanism is a dramatic sign that tiny, 500km-diameter Enceladus is surprisingly active. Enceladus ice geysers also likely produce Saturn's faint but extended E ring.

apod.nasa.gov...

continued...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Enceladus' South Polar Stripes Spew "Warm" Water - By Emily Lakdawalla - July 30, 2005
www.planetary.org...

Organic Chemicals Found in a Geyser of Saturn's Moon Enceladus - Geology.org
geology.com...

Could There Be Life On Saturn's Moon Enceladus? - Apr 22, 2008 ... Organic chemicals were part of the raw material from which Enceladus and Saturn's other moons formed. The origin of Enceladus' heat is less ..www.astronomyreport.com...

Is There Life on Saturn's Moon? - By Tiffany Sharples Tuesday, Mar. 11, 2008 - Time Magazine
www.time.com...

NASA Press Releases

Cassini Tastes Organic Material at Saturn's Geyser Moon - March 26, 2008
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Salt Finding From NASA's Cassini Hints at Ocean Within Saturn Moon - June 24, 2009
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

And of course my Collection so far
Fountains of Enceladus

I actually looked up this moon because I just finished the Geysers of Io near Jupiter

Hellfire and Brimstone - Io, Moon of Jupiter

Which I posted because of this thread about Neptune's Moon Triton

New NASA Moon Images Huge Towers

Continued...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join