It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger King's Super Seven Incher ad: Subtlety is dead

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Im far from being prudish, but this just ad just seems stupid. Has anyone here seen Idiocracy? Remember that Fudruckers bit?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Plus it'll only open minds

How pray tell, will a play on felacio open peoples minds?

Unless open them to being insulted?

I mean that's just so juvenile it's ridiculous.

But I hear most general advertising it aimed at an 8th grader, so, it doesn't surprise me some people think that's 'mind-opening'...

[edit on 26-6-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

NovusOrdoMondi

I’m trying to figure out a way to explain this so I don't get all tied up in verbal knots here.

My problem with the blatant use of sex in advertising goes way beyond what you might think.

It all comes down to - for me - where we draw the line.

I don’t want to have adds flashed in my face like I’m a pre pubescent little boy who just saw his first booby.

That’s how demeaning the adds are.

I don’t have to be effected by them, no, they’re ridiculous, and I can just glance at them, think - ‘Oh gawd another one, the idiots’ and move on.

But don’t you get sick of their rip offs?

Shouldn't they have to work for their advertising instead of the quick fix of *use sex* and they will come, to BK?

Like comedians these days.

If they throw in 45 F-Bombs for every 30 seconds of comedy routine, they think they’re funny, and all you hear is people yuck yucking it up.

When did we as a Nation, who’s produced some of the greatest writers and comedians of all times allow *bathroom* humor to become the norm, and the expected?

Beyond that - the whole gig of them going to other countries to get the taste tests done?

Would I want to eat at someone’s house who participates in that kind of perverseness?

No.

Pretty much rules out a big BK for me...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Only 7 inches? That sandwich will never satisfy her.

I am getting tired of almost any commercial. If it is not simply downright stupid in nature, it has overt sexual overtones.

Considering I cannot see a Burger King now, without having this visual of a woman getting ready to take a sandwich in her mouth, I probably cannot eat at the BK anymore.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Ya know, I think it would make more men mad too, lol.
7 inches?
Yeah, right...
Does 'where's the beef' come to mind ladies? (Oh geesh, now look, they've got me doing it.)

But - I agree, if commercials are not aimed at a 4th grade education and completely ridiculous then they're full of s.e.x, (which wouldn't be so bad if it then it wasn't aimed at 12 year old boys).

Too bad I'd still give anything for a burger, lol.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

It's all about personal choice.

Sex in advertisement doesn't draw you to their product. That's perfectly fine. But that's your choice, and you have a right to that choice.

But for the people where sex in advertisement draws them to a product, do those people not have the same freedom of choice as you, even if they don't have the same end result and beliefs?

You have the freedom to decide what products you buy and don't buy, and the advertisements you look at and avoid. In a country where people have that freedom of choice, why is censorship necessary? It's as simple as avoiding that business or product.

You have a right to believe certain things are demeaning or nasty or ugly or cruel or what ever word you want to put on them, but that does not mean they should be censored. There's always going to be something that someone takes offense to and someone doesn't like. We can't sanitize our society to a point where we all talk the same and believe the same. Otherwise we destroy all individuality.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather everyone be able to be themselves - no matter how much I dislike who they are - than I would want total government oversight over communication for the censorship of some F-bombs and tasteless jokes.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
For me, it is not about sex in advertising. I could care less. I don't watch commercials and I would never buy anything from an internet ad. I can buy almost whatever I want, but I choose to only buy those things I need.

My point about not buying a sandwich from BK is this: What do you think of when you see the woman and the sandwich? I am a straight male. So, when I think of the sandwich now, I think of something that will not go into my mouth. Therefore, I will not eat the sandwich.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
this is not new...for instance...why are popcicles shaped the way they are?. also has a man ever watched a hot woman eat a ice cream cone and NOT got...uhhmm....aroused? these tasty treats have been around for decades, long before those commercials started up.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
also has a man ever watched a hot woman eat a ice cream cone and NOT got...uhhmm....aroused?

Yes, because I don't have an ice cream cone as a body part used in sexual activities.

But hey, what ever floats your boat, I suppose!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The ad is just stupid. It's inappropriate ("Mommy, what is that lady doing?") and, as a male, it doesn't make this sandwich very appetizing. It's also not very clever. I've seen clever ads before (which are few and far between) and this ad definitely isn't.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Totakeke]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totakeke
It's inappropriate ("Mommy, what is that lady doing?")

And what did mommy do in order to have a child in the first place? I guarantee you what ever it was it'd be more inappropriate to be displayed in advertising than a woman with her mouth open by a sandwich.

Besides, a child not old enough or mature enough to understand the 'subtle' sexual reference in the advertising would only see this as a woman about to take a bite of a sandwich. They wouldn't even think to question it or look for some ulterior meaning.

Double standards and political correctness.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Um, how exactly do you think children are conceived? Did you come out of your mother's mouth?

Besides, those kinds of acts are done in private. They're not something that a fast-food chain has to use to advertise their food. And that they advertise with it just shows how bad America's getting.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by tamusan

Ya know, I think it would make more men mad too, lol.
7 inches?
Yeah, right...

Hey, speak for yourself buddy!

Does 'where's the beef' come to mind ladies? (Oh geesh, now look, they've got me doing it.)

Chocolate-vanilla swirl soft serve comes to mind.

But - I agree, if commercials are not aimed at a 4th grade education and completely ridiculous then they're full of s.e.x, (which wouldn't be so bad if it then it wasn't aimed at 12 year old boys).

I got me a 5th grade education. Good thing I got all that oil money.

Too bad I'd still give anything for a burger, lol.

Let us arrange a meating.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totakeke
Um, how exactly do you think children are conceived?

That is my point, which you seem to have missed. If two people having sex were displayed in advertising, which would be worse? The two people having sex or a woman with her mouth open by a sandwich?

I am aware that such things are done in private. That is the double standard. Everyone does much worse in the privacy of their home, yet when we venture out in public, we are offended by even the slightest sexually suggestive advertising, jokes, or words as if we are these morally upstanding citizens.

People want to be treated like adults and trusted to make their own decisions for what they do in their private lives, but then want to react like children to anything "unsanitary" and look up to Big Brother to censor it.

If you want to be viewed as a mature adult, learn how to deal with mature adult jokes. No one said you have to think it's funny or clever or good advertising. But there's no sense in censoring everything that you find inappropriate.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I think both (sex and the woman with the sandwich) have no place in the public eye. Sex is a private act, not a device to sell a sandwich.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Totakeke]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

but that does not mean they should be censored.

When have I ever said a word about censorship? Not once. In fact I said to *let it stand* as it is.

It seems you've taken it as a given since the beginning of our discussion and (seemingly) based most of your rebuttals that I’m looking for censorship.

Not at all.

I'm stating my opinion - I find BK is nothing but cheap, tawdry and insulting.

~~~

My meaning behind “I’m sure the World’s lovin it” Is just that. The world in general thinks Americans are overweight morons in love with their food.
If any commercial proves it this does.

~~~

Do I want government censorship? No.

That's half the problem, the government's done so much censoring the American’s leave it up to the government instead of taking a stand themselves.

What I want is the American people to stand up on their own and go back to demanding excellence like our forefathers did.
To quit settling for trash.

I’d like the American people to ask for something more, something better, instead of just placidly accepting whatever garbage is served up to them on the plate of commerce, comedy, literature, media, etc.

But it doesn’t happen, so, in the name of letting everyone *have it their way* people just go on paying for this trash and not even bothering to ask themselves if it's acceptable or not.

Personally I think that’s one of the biggest problems in the USA - on all fronts.

So many people are afraid to take a stand and say *enough is enough* give us excellence in mind, morals, products, etc, the standards for everything just keep going farther down the poo-per...

peace

Edit: color text still not working...

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
blog.communispace.com...

Just got an email back from Rocky Prozeller from *Verbatim*.

Here’s his quote:

Burger King’s advertising recipe has long relied on more than a cup of controversy, it’s the base ingredient. But, have we entered an era where advertising doesn’t simply equal attention?
Provoking just to poke was once a sound advertising strategy. But in an era where a multi-million dollar campaign can crumble under the powerful consumer pressure of Twitter, YouTube, or any of the growing number of consumer mouthpieces, is inspiring ire still the correct choice for a campaign?

Thanks Rocky...

peace

[edit on 27-6-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Now here's a good example of at least passable advertising...
And not a bit of sex!
(Well, unless you're a hen)...

Too bad Burger King doesn't keep it light like this - I truly believe it would appeal to a wider range of people if they did...

peace

*No chickens were hurt during the filming of this video... Well, accept the one in the bun...*

[edit on 30-6-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

That's right up there with White Castle's "Stripper/Flashdance" ad. I had an uncomfortable discussion with my 9 year old when that one ran on Cartoon network. But hey.... sex sells, or else they wouldn't do it. I was disturbed that is was on Cartoon network during the day.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Breaking News!

Critics Cringe at Ad for Burger King's Latest Sandwich

"I've seen a lot of sexual innuendo ads and this is about the worst, especially for something as mainstream as Burger King," Duffy told FOXNews.com. "I was a little repulsed by it. It's really misogynistic to women and it's also unappetizing."

Hehehe - Can I say *I told you so*...

Just Once?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join