It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Weed-Whacking Herbicide Proves Deadly to Human Cells" Or Monsanto Strikes Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This article really concerns me - so many people use Round-Up. I myself am an organic gardener so I don't, but almost all of my neighbors use it in their quest for the perfect suburban yard.

I'm curious if, like me, they ever wondered how it must effect something else in the environment besides the offending weed. Well, as it turns out, it affects us as well. It kind of reminds me of that movie, Children of Men...no one knew why the world stopped making babies, only when. I hope that one day that's not a reality:

www.scientificamerican.com...

Used in yards, farms and parks throughout the world, Roundup has long been a top-selling weed killer. But now researchers have found that one of Roundup’s inert ingredients can kill human cells, particularly embryonic, placental and umbilical cord cells.

The new findings intensify a debate about so-called “inerts” — the solvents, preservatives, surfactants and other substances that manufacturers add to pesticides. Nearly 4,000 inert ingredients are approved for use by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Glyphosate, Roundup’s active ingredient, is the most widely used herbicide in the United States. About 100 million pounds are applied to U.S. farms and lawns every year, according to the EPA.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Interesting article. Also, your post title sounds like a Rocky and Bullwinkle episode.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
If you put human embryonic cells, stem cells or toenail cells in water, milk, roundup or a nuclear waste dump, the cells will die.

Is this article really a surprise?

join