It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford Admits Affair!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
You know if they felt it necessary to make public his affair, for whatever reasons, that's one thing, but to make those emails public is quite another. There is absolutely no reason in the world that the public needs to be made privy to that information.

I don't care what that man and his mistress did, or said to each other. It was so irresponsible and careless of them to publish those emails without even giving a moments thought to what his son's will go through when they become aware of them. His sons did nothing wrong, yet they will be the ones to suffer because of this.

It's a shame what passes as journalism these days.

Here's a reason. Making the incriminating, romantic emails public serves to solidify his "story" to the masses by diversion. Those emails could have been planted easily. The "story" of the affair that his wife found out about 5 months ago and the "story" that his staff were fed so that he could go "off the grid" for a week! Uhm, I'm not prepared to buy the convenience of yet another trashed political career by marital infidelity.

People will fall for anything it seems. This guy has motive for protecting himself with a cover story. As some posters have pointed out, there is more going on here than the "story" we've been given. I thought we all knew that the media is a propaganda tool for politicians and corporations. Guess not.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
While there may have been suspicious circumstances surrounding the "other woman" I think he is telling the truth about having an affair.
He might have been "set up" or "lured" but nonetheless, he took the bait, hook line and sinker.

The governor, who talked about "moral absolutes" and God's law during his revealing, yet rambling news conference Wednesday, said King David "fell mightily, fell in very, very significant ways, but then picked up the pieces and built from there." .....

.....Sanford told the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division chief that he put the agency in a bad place by not telling offices he was going to Argentina last week. Then, he told the Commerce Department head he was sorry for visiting his mistress while on an economic development trip to South America about a year ago. .....

.....Sanford has said he would pay back an undisclosed amount for the nine-day trip to Brazil and Argentina for which taxpayers paid $12,000 last year. That includes $8,687 for Sanford's plane ticket, and $453 in lodging. A spokeswoman for the Commerce Department said Friday that initially plans were made to only visit Brazil, but Sanford asked for extra meetings in Argentina.

Sanford said the trip was legitimate but he put the agency in an awkward spot "based on what I did in terms of eating dinner down there."

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Oh, you sirens. Let's give the guy a break, .... like I said before, almost every politician is either misusing money or getting kickbacks, .... and lets face it, ... alot of them are having affairs. Lets not burn this guy at the stake just because he's the only one who got caught. He's admitted his downfalls and apologized for them. As well as paying back any money he may have squandered...... Personally, I wish he would resign, .... leave all this madness and move to Argentina with his mistress and become a cattle rancher.

.... the only thing he's guilty of is hypocrisy. and maybe lying, .... ok ok, and maybe infidelity if you want to go that way.

..... and for the record, i love women. probably more than i should, ... its a passion.

Ex

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I don't want to give him a break. Where is the Right-Wing outrage??
He cheats on his wife, leaves his kids fatherless on father's day,
and then uses taxpayers money to foot the bill.
The POS then tells his cabinet to get to work after he runs off
and leaves the state without a functioning governor.

Yeah........Let's see Palin do this and get away with it!

No More Excuses for these betrayers. IMPEACH!!

[edit on 6/26/2009 by Ex]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex

When you combine politics with a brand of religion that says no matter how short you fall you have been automatically saved already by your beliefs, and your fellow Christians in your church will forgive you, then politicians could get away with murder...well, adultery anyway...well, some, not all, politicians ...only those who believe like they do.

Sanford was indeed in the thralls of an adulterous affair, to judge by the type of passion expressed in those emails. Sometimes the reasons we marry are not the reasons we stay together. Despite the support and help of his wife in his career and the image of a family who had it all together, there was something lacking in the relationship.

For the affair alone, I would not have him resign. (Of course, he may want to resign, if he feels he has broken with his party's platform and can no longer represent them.) But for his lacking in judgment re leaving the state without proper notification for continuance of governing, that is not good and could possibly be grounds for impeachment. That, with possible use of tax dollars to conduct the affair. (Although, he personally should have had the money to travel and wine and dine to conduct the affair, or did he not want his wife to find out about money spent?)

This is the danger when a political group should claim in writing (their platform) or association superiority or imply superiority when it comes to morals or "family values". Such claims also imply that the "other" is immoral or does not care for "family values". America seems to finally have had enough of the GOPs divisive social platform. It may have cynically helped them win elections for 30 years, but the country has matured meanwhile.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Hey guys, I wanna give my support to WarrenB's theory back on the first page. THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS STORY!

Listen to yourselves condemning him already! If lets say, you wanted someone silenced, in short of killing them, you would tottally smear their character and leave their reputation in shatters right?

Well look what's happend! The disapearing act was insane, he could have easily met up with this woman for their 'affair'. He didn't have to go completely off the radar and keep his whole family and law enforcment in the dark.

He would have known he would have got caught, its as simple as that!

Now didn't he outright oppose the stimulus packages and banking bailouts?

And: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Prosecutor Evans' death shocks S.C. Renowned state official dies unexpectedly

Now I may be wrong, but somthing is afoot here. And now I read about this mistress being IRANIAN and speakign three languages? Please, instead of just putting him down lets try and see what is really going on? Why would domeone want him out of the picture?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
You gotta admit though, this guy had balls, even after his wife found out about the affair and told him not to see her again, he kept asking her if he could go visit his "EX"-mistress!

S.C. Governor's Wife: I Told Him to Stop Affair

South Carolina first lady Jenny Sanford sat in her oceanfront living room Friday, recalling how her husband repeatedly asked permission to visit his lover in the months after she discovered his affair.

"I said absolutely not. It's one thing to forgive adultery; it's another thing to condone it,"

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

OMG! OMG! He didn't! He did!
Asked if he could keep seeing that other woman....
Is he nuts?!

And he likens himself to King David!!
What a mockery of the Bible!! Hope "Bathsheba" doesn't have a husband!

He's got balls to compare himself to KD and not to say "the devil made me do it." Self-righteous balls.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
S.C. Governor's Wife: I Told Him to Stop Affair

South Carolina first lady Jenny Sanford sat in her oceanfront living room Friday, recalling how her husband repeatedly asked permission to visit his lover in the months after she discovered his affair.

"I said absolutely not. It's one thing to forgive adultery; it's another thing to condone it,"

The adultrous woman was also involved with another man, who exposed her.

What we have here is the classic two two. Two Two timers who got caught in their own game.

Sad for the children, thier mom, and the nation.

These two cheats deserve each other!

Sanford & Sons — Where Have the Grown-Ups Gone?

Why can’t we find a grown man who will put responsibility to country, wife and family above the allure of sex? This widespread arrested development is caused by the secular religion of sex which mistakes romance for real love and spiritual fulfillment.

Gov. Mark Sanford, 49, a Christian Conservative, didn’t spend Father’s Day with his four sons. He flew off to Buenos Aires to be with his mistress Maria, 43, starting a two-week trial separation from his wife of 20 years, Jenny, 47

By “listening to his heart” Sanford betrayed both his family and his nation. Like Eliot Spitzer, he was considered a front-runner for the GOP Presidential nomination in 2012. Like Spitzer, Mark Sanford has damaged his career at a time when America is sorely in need of honest, competent leadership.

Sanford’s personal emails to Maria from July 2008 were hacked by another of her suitors......

.......(She is a divorcee who recommends Alan Greenspan’s last book, and is looking for a therapist.)

www.infowars.com...

[edit on 29-6-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Mark Sanford on his Bilderberg Attendance...and he defends the Bilderbergers.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I think some men, like Eliot Spitzer, pay for sex/have an affair pretty much for reasons of sex. There are even reasons that this is so, but not needed to be discussed here.

Other men, like Mark Sanford, look for something besides the sex.

He seems to miss his mother’s love: “She had the ultimate of all gifts — and that was the ability to love unconditionally. The rarest of all commodities in this world is love. It is that thing that we all yearn for at some level — to be simply loved unconditionally for nothing more than who we are — not what we can get, give or become."

The marriage vow, "till death do us part", came from a time when people could die in 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years after taking that vow. A man might go through several wives. A woman would pray to die to be released from a marriage.

We live longer, where it is conceivable to be locked into a marriage for 60 years, a marriage where one or both parties feel it is more an emotional prison. Do we want our children to think that marriage should be a life sentence?

If the Sanfords divorce, the children should be the number one concern, what is best for them during and after the divorce. Sometimes, some msarriages are irreconcilable.

A marriage based on what each party can "get, give or become" may not be the best for longterm outcome.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by desert]

[edit on 29-6-2009 by desert]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

I agree, no marraige should be a sentence. That is to live in quiet desperation...no. Also, as you mentioned marraige is not for what you can get, take, and use. It takes both partners to keep love alive.

For as many reasons he sought elsewhere I am sure she had twice as many, and could have "justified" ending the marraige...though cheating can never be justified. The day you return to the one you cheated on and "fake" it, go on using the spouse and the lover. Well that day is the day men and women lose thier souls. They are not true to anyone at that point, not even themselves.

IMO cheating is cowardly. Lies never pay off.

If the love is dead, then take care of the kids. He was not even doing that.

Do a good job at work, well he flubbed that to.

Step down instead of waging on a costly fight. He wont do that either.

Sanford is the epitiomy of a man seeking to please himself, and is no longer capable in any way of serving the public in this capacity.

Step down, Governor Sanford!

[edit on 29-6-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I thought it a little strange that he would be AWOL on Fathers Day. Four young boys...and he's not around to celebrate with them?

..."epitiomy of a man seeking to please himself"...you said it!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
As a citizen of the great state of South Carolina this man should be removed from office immediately. In what other profession can one walk off the job for days with stolen money and return expecting the job will still be there? I could care less if he had one mistress or 200 and really don't care to hear about his dirty laundry. Considering that SC has an ungodly amount of unemployed he should be on the job trying to find industry to move here because he appears less like Mark Sanford and more like Fred Sanford managing his urban decay.

(Ok! I admit to cracking up a little bit trying to be serious calling South Carolina great)

[edit on 30/6/09 by toochaos4u]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by toochaos4u

Good sentiments there! Speaking from a womans heart, this guy is starting to make me sick. He needs to step down...

Has anyone else noticed that this man is in self destruct mode?
Everything he says seems to have a sexual conotation to it...
Now it a "handful" of women that he has crossed the line with.
Oh sure, only sex with Maria, while she was doing someone else.

In emotional interviews with the AP over two days, he said he would die "knowing that I had met my soul mate."

Sanford also said that he "crossed the lines" with a handful of other women during 20 years of marriage, but not as far as he did with his mistress.....

.....Sanford detailed more encounters with his mistress than he had disclosed during a rambling, emotional press conference last week. The new revelations Tuesday led the state attorney general to launch an investigation of Sanford's travels, and some legislators to repeat calls for him to step down.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Has anyone else noticed that this man is in self destruct mode?

Me! Crossed the line? Heck, with all the ripples in the pond of all his past affairs he's talking about, this man has jumped many sharks!

Really, all this talk is getting more salacious, befitting of a tabloid. I guess that's why I can't get enough!

Seriously, Gov Sanford, for the sake of yourself as well as your wife and children...enough already!!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
Oh, you sirens. Let's give the guy a break, .... like I said before, almost every politician is either misusing money or getting kickbacks, .... and lets face it, ... alot of them are having affairs. Lets not burn this guy at the stake just because he's the only one who got caught. He's admitted his downfalls and apologized for them. As well as paying back any money he may have squandered...... Personally, I wish he would resign, .... leave all this madness and move to Argentina with his mistress and become a cattle rancher.

.... the only thing he's guilty of is hypocrisy. and maybe lying, .... ok ok, and maybe infidelity if you want to go that way.

..... and for the record, i love women. probably more than i should, ... its a passion.

He isn't the only one who has been caught. There is whole stream of them, and I'm sure there are more. I'm sorry, but this man's judgement cannot be trusted. His family can no longer trust him, so why should anyone else trust him? He broke the most solemn vow he will ever make, so there is no reason whatsoever for him to remain in his office and expect the people to believe he will uphold anything. Period. He is done.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join