It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford Admits Affair!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford Admits Affair!

www.politico.com

South Carolina GOP Gov. Mark Sanford admitted Wednesday to an affair, and resigned his position as chair of the Republican Governor's Association following a strange week in which the governor dropped off the grid and could not be located.

www.politico.com...&D
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
So Mark dissapeared, and was spending our tax dollars on a vacation in Argentina, having "an affair" with his dear friend!

He has resigned, thankfully. Oh At least as chair. I guess he still wants to be govenor. That is crazy. A man that shows this kind of mental lapse in judgement needs to step down! So at least taxpayers will not have to spend more money wading through the carp!

Let the chips fall where they may he says. I think I am sick of these men spending my hard earned money on sex!

This is a moral issue, but more than that, this is a financial issue, our governemnt is full of crooks and liars!

The governor said that his staff did not deserve blame for giving misleading statements about his whereabouts to the press - first that he was off writing and then that he was hiking the Appalachian Trail.

"I apologize to my staff," Sanford said in a statement released after the 2 p.m. news conference. "I misled them about my whereabouts, and as a result the people of South Carolina believed something that wasn't true. I want to make absolutely clear that over the past two days at no time did anyone on my staff intentionally relay false information to other state officials or the public at large. What they've said over the past two days they believed to be true, and I'm sorry to them for putting them in this position."

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-6-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

If he was in fact using tax dollars for his tearful little "vacation" i hope they make him pay all the money back. I wonder just how may trips he has taken to Argentina on our tax dollars.

He is a dispicible human being for dragging his family through the mud like this, and for placing his staff in such a position.

Makes me wonder what other lies he has told during his political career.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What a weird turn of events.

The guy has a screw loose, it seems.:shk:

...although if you were drunk and slurring your words, Argentina *might* come out sounding like Applachian, no? Bwahahaha!

[edit on 24-6-2009 by jsobecky]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

No kidding! I wonder how this man could have even been competent in the first place after reading this:

Sanford's announcement was the latest twist in a story that began as a mystery but now has turned into a fiasco for Sanford, whose staff provided a series of increasingly confusing cover stories when his whereabouts became the subject of global news coverage.

“I don’t know how this thing got blown out of proportion,” the governor told The State newspaper of Columbia, S.C., after he landed at the Atlanta airport Wednesday morning.

www.politico.com...&D

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I commend him for comming clean..If all politicians were like him we would live in a better place..

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Oh yeah, ya gotta love someone that can referr to the fact that he purposely mislead his staff about his whereabouts so that he could run off to another country to have an affair, as being "blown out of proportion" as if he were merely away on a fishing trip

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

Well it would have been nice for him to have done it before he dissapeared. At least that way there would have been one less week of tax dollars being spent on him.

Brother I tell ya, is this country so deluded that we do not even care if politicians spend our hard earned money that is taken from us by the IRS to fund the government that is full of crooks and liars?

For crikes sake, the guy let the media reporting spin while he was "crying"
And then cops out and say well I dont get what the big deal was?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
IMHO it's a convenient excuse to cover up a hidden agenda for something else entirely. What that may be I have no idea but I do think they forced him to say all this to hide something else. You can bet he's got a nice fat nest-egg hidden somewhere.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Can say Im surprised... I really actually thought he was out there in the mountains to clear his head, people often jump the gun.... thats what I thought at first.... what I find most humorous about the whole thing is the fact the man was one of the leaders for the tea baggers, the "revolutionaries" and the state independence advocates.. he just revealed himself to be another hypocrite.

That being said the calls for him to resign over this mess is just stupid... as much as the man ran on moral and was a publicity freak with his buddy Perry, we dont elect our governors to play goody two shoes, well most of us dont... we elect them to run the states, to bring out policies for the good. Gov. Sandford should get back to work, the media can hound him over the weekend in his spare time again. Right now he should be doing what he was elected for i.e running the state.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I dunno warrenb, I think this has been going on for about at least six months according to his wife. Of course he looks believable here...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/df3be33ec0dd.jpg[/atsimg] Photo by AP www.nypost.com...

But obviously he is telling the truth. At least now. He cheated, his wife kicked him out and now these darling young men that are his sons will have to deal with knowing the "real dad" that they have.

I know there were all kinds of conspircaies floating around, I read the threads, and was almost ready to believe them....

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

I can forgive a man for personal indiscretions and lying but when you
are a member of the party that touts "family values" during the campaignes.....

I guess I can forgive hypocrisy too......

But spending taxpayer dollars on a foreign vacation when my personal finances can't even afford a fishing trip across state..........

Get a rope........

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

The question is did he come clean because he wanted to, or because the press or someone else forced him to.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

But spending taxpayer dollars on a foreign vacation when my personal finances can't even afford a fishing trip across state..........

Get a rope........

Yep. This kind of thing, along with the corrupt banking cartel is really burning my goat. (chicken)

What they take us all for a bunch of saps I think!

I am sure he will depend largely on a bunch of sympathetic men to keep some kind of a career going....and I bet it will be on the gov payroll too!

He'll ehd up with another .gov job just watch.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by warrenb

I dunno warrenb, I think this has been going on for about at least six months according to his wife. Of course he looks believable here...

And yet she lied to the press to either save his/her face or that of their family/children...

He jaunts off for a respite with the mistress and the wife, Initially, covers for his antics. unFreakinBelieveable.

Just goes to show the extent to which some are willing to go in hiding their shame and spousal indescretions.

His sons have now seen the way :shk: and his wife should be afforded a baseball bat to strike out at the pinata he now represents.

His actions make Spitzer seems a saint. imo.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Let me be the first....can't believe this name has not come up.

Bill Clinton......didn't he use this type of behavior as a resume enhancement? When he was running for President his lewd behavior was well known. I guess since he didn't admit it that it was OK?

It's takes a weasel to do what Sanford and Clinton did. But it takes a man to admit it. Unfortunately the man that admitted it is pretty much done politically.

52399 ATS Pts.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by RRconservative]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
.... and his wife should be afforded a baseball bat to strike out at the pinata he now represents.

She has millions because her family fortune is from the Skil Power Tool Company. Baseball bat? She'll get after him with a power drill or worse!!

And speaking of which, it sounds like she bankrolled his run for governor. Sounds sorta like Theresa Heinz and her husband, John Kerry.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I love pinata's!

reply to post by RRconservative

Thank you! I immediately thought of Billie Boy! Although, you know Bill is such a Slick Dick it seems nothing sticks.

Mark, well he is not the same mafiaoso type. Just as wrong morally...but not thick with the "gangstas bankstas"

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Let me be the first....can't believe this name has not come up.

Bill Clinton......didn't he use this type of behavior as a resume enhancement? When he was running for President his lewd behavior was well known. I guess since he didn't admit it that it was OK?

It must take a really partisan-brainwashed brain to drag that one out.

I think the thing people are most concerned about here is that he disappeared from his office and his responsibilities for an entire week to carry out this affair, and then came back and acted like it wasn't a big deal.

I feel sorry for the man's wife and children, who are obviously going to be made into public spectacles as a result of this entire ordeal. Their family will never be the same again, all because this guy just had to chase some tail down in South America, funded by taxpayers no less.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

My heart goes out to his boys and thier mom. Mark is pathetic though.
This is what Mark is saying about the actual affair:

The woman, who lives in Argentina, has been a "dear, dear friend" for about eight years but, Sanford said, the relationship didn't become romantic until a little over a year ago. He's seen her three times since then, and his wife found out about it five months ago.

www.nypost.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join