It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Has Plan B to Launch U.S. to Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

NASA Has Plan B to Launch U.S. to Moon

dsc.discovery.com

June 24, 2009 -- NASA has a backup plan to launch crew and cargo to the moon, reduce the gap between shuttle retirement and a replacement ship's debut, and save taxpayers billions of dollars.

They call it the side-mount shuttle. It's basically the space shuttle system without the winged orbiters.

Preliminary NASA studies show that using the existing shuttle's solid rocket boosters, fuel tank and main engines as a launch system, with some minor modifications, could be the foundation of an alternative launch system to the planned Ares rocket program currently under development.

NASA
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I did a quick search and did not find this...so here goes. This is the first I have heard of this. Seems like if it would save money, then this should be "Plan A" not Plan B. This actually looks pretty cool to me, Much better than the "Old School" Capsule on top of a rocket. What do you all think?

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It looks like it would be a lot lighter than the orbiter and thus have a heavier payload capacity. Without the need for a safe reentry the tile vulnerability problem would be no more as well.
No bringing stuff back though.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
This seems like the logical choice to me.

They are well versed at setting this system up and have been reasonably successful at it.

top topics

join