It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vote Coming to Confirm Anti-gun Radical -'Guns Kill Civil Society" says State Dept. Nominee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Vote Coming to Confirm Anti-gun Radical – ‘Guns Kill Civil Society’ says State Dept. Nominee

www.ammoland.com...

Washington, DC - -(AmmoLand.com)- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has scheduled a Wednesday vote on a State Department nominee who supports gun control on a global scale.

While advocates of the Second Amendment have come to expect that appointees of President Barack Obama would be hostile to the rights of gun owners, the president’s nominee for legal advisor to the State Department reaches a whole new level of anti-gun extremism.

Harold Hongju Koh, who served at the State Department under the Clinton administration, is a self-described “trans-nationalist” who believes that our laws — and our Constitution — should be brought into conformity with international agreements.

“If you want to be in the global environment, you have to play by the global rules,” Koh told a Cleveland audience.

Koh’s positions treat our constitutional law as if it were a mere local ordinance on the greater world stage. This is of particular concern to gun owners at a time when the U.S. Congress is under pressure from President Obama to ratify an international gun control treaty with countries in the western hemisphere.

That treaty, known by its Spanish acronym CIFTA, would likely serve as a forerunner to a more extensive United Nations initiative, the “Program of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in all its Aspects.”
www.ammoland.com...

www.opposingviews.com...
www.minnpost.com...
www.lifenews.com...

I was rather surprised when I happened upon the news of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid bringing a cloture vote to the Senate floor concerning Mr. Harold Koh's confirmation to the position of Legal Advisor to the State Department.

I have heard nothing of the proposal to appoint this individual to the State Department until today. I suppose that I should not be dismayed at this particular event in that there appears to be a consistent policy of ramrodding through Congress controversial legislation and appointments to governmental positions nowadays.

If any within ATS are familiar with this individual, feel free to comment on his upcoming vote in the Senate.

*edited title

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Snisha]

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Snisha]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Well, I just found this, guess this is a done deal.

UPDATE: "Cloture passed on a 65-31 vote," a Congressional source relays at 11:30am. "There was applause in the Senate gallery after the vote was announced. Republicans are threatening to exercise their right to use all 30 hours of floor debate before permitting a final vote, so Koh may not be formally confirmed until tomorrow."

thecable.foreignpolicy.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

In a paper entitled “A world drowning in guns,” Koh maintains that a civil society cannot exist with broad gun ownership: “Guns kill civil society,” he said.

www.opposingviews.com...

I don't think Americans have anything to worry about from this particular individual.

His appointment will most assuredly continue to be a "non-event" and bear not a grain of relevance to our present concerns...

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I disagree with the statement that guns prevent, or erode civil society.

If anything, the opposite is true. Places with a decent standard of living, in terms of education and employment, that are stuffed to bursting with guns, are MORE crime-free than places with similar economic conditions and few guns.

The place where I live is a prime example - we have more guns per capita than most US states, and a reasonably high standard of living, and almost no crime.

Guns enforce civility more than they disrupt it.

I think the lack of response may be due to frustration and a symptom of our weariness when it comes to this particular issue. It's just sad, like a funeral for American values, and I think people are burned out on the whole mess.

Screaming in the wind gets tiresome, yaknow?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

I think the lack of response may be due to frustration and a symptom of our weariness when it comes to this particular issue. It's just sad, like a funeral for American values, and I think people are burned out on the whole mess.

Screaming in the wind gets tiresome, yaknow?

Yes, I have no doubt that we are bearing witness to a "swan song" of sorts.

Living in the moment and celebrating the myriad of blessings that bloom around me daily sustain me in these tumultuous times of human evolution.

Perhaps humanity shall successfully negotiate the treacherous path leading from "Homo Sapien" to "Homo Novus"

Or not..........................................

top topics

join