It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(DOR) It's often too late

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Son: “Hello?”

Mother: “You really did it.”

Son: “…”

Mother: "I can't believe this."

Son: "Why are you calling?"

Mother: “I received a visit today from…”

Son: “I know already.”

Mother: “You know? That’s all you have to say? That “You know”? Do you not understand the implications of what you just did?”

Son: “Yes I know. Jenny called and told me, she's on her way here now actually. So yes, I know. What do you want me to do mother? You want me to mumble a feeble apology? Admit that what I did was foolish? For Christ’s sake, I’ve decided to take a stand and…”

Mother: “HEY! You dare try to use that condescending tone with me? Don’t you think I know where this is all headed? This is unbelievable. The one thing I ever asked of you, the one thing, and you disregard my request as if it's just foolishness coming from your old, jaded mother.“

Son: “If you only understood...”

Mother: “I DO understand! Why do you think I have been doing everything I can to ensure that this...this notion of yours never blossomed into a personal vendetta or something just as foolish. What would your father think?”

Son: “Are you honestly asking me this? What would my father think? Look around you mother, and then ask that question again. What would any sane person think, living the way we do?”

Mother: “It could be worse.”

Son: “You’re right, it could...but at the same time, it could be better. Which do you prefer?”

Mother: “…It’s just the way things ended up…”

Son: “And you accept that? “

Mother: “I’ve no choice but to accept it and neither do you. You’re a dreamer son, I’ll give you that, but at what cost?”

Son: “You might say that I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. People someday will join us.”

Mother: “Nice try with the quote, but I believe you took it in the wrong context. Besides, look at what happened to people like him. Look at it this way...”

Son: “NO. I will not look at it at any way but mine, and there was a time when you and I shared the same view, what happened? When did you decide that your natural born freedoms were not worth standing up for?”

Mother: “Your father…”

Son: “…Should serve as a pillar to your convictions mother! Not as a crutch to justify your cowardice! How is it that you can sit by and let our basic human rights be sullied, while saying things like “It could be worse”? ”

Mother: “…”

Son: “… You’ve nothing to say?”

Mother: “To call me a coward does nothing to help the way I feel.”

Son: “I call it as I see it, and I mean no disrespect to either you or dad, but I’ve decided to take this chance, to make a stand, and for you to berate my decision…

Mother: “I’m not proud of the way things turned out with your father. He knew what he was getting into, supporting the movement and all that, and I did too. But now…now it’s different. You’ve all I’ve got left, yet I fear that based on your actions, I’ve already lost you.”

Son: “ (sigh)…It's for our own good…mother… For the benefit of…”

Mother: “…It’s often too late.”

Son: “What?”

Mother: “It’s often too late.”

Son: “You say that but who is to know for sure? What if it’s never too late? Think about that for a moment, someone is at the door; be back in a sec, I think its Jenny, she should have been here by now.”

Mother: “What?”

Mother: “Hello?”

Mother: “Hello?”

Mother: “No!”

Mother: “…”

(Gunshot)

Mother: “Hello?!”

(Call disconnected)

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I wrote this with a kind of 1984 or “V” feel to it, kind of like a day in the life of a citizen who lived during those periods. What did he do to cause so much strife with his mother? I’ll let you decide. Go easy, this is my first entry, and thanks for reading.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The parallels or freaky. One can only hope that these stories are not a manifestation of what is waiting for us in the wings.... And yet.... I can not help but to think it is... kinda of a group consciousness thing.

Good story my man.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Yes I know, the similarities are there. Perhaps after this contest we can author something together
liked your story too by the way.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Just wanted to let anyone who reads this, or the judges, know that upon further review I'd decided to remove the mother and son that precedes every line. I found it terribly redundant, and by the time I'd made that decision I was unable to edit the post.

My bad!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Stupid iPhone double posts!

[edit on 25-6-2009 by Juston]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Great story Juston! If I were a judge, you'd be sitting pretty. I am starting to check out some of the posts in the story boards now. I do like writing and I may add a few. Who knows? Great entry though!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Thank you for the kind words! Let's hope that they share the same opinion that you do
. I have a feeling that you wont do too bad yourself.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Hellooo Juston,

Don't change your Titles if the Story isn't broken, I believe it's just fine the way it is and I do love Mystery myself.

you can probably tell that anyhow

I have to read some stories over and over to make sure I get what the Author is trying to say or Not say but portray ,... Yours is a Gripping Puzzle I'll give you that,

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OrangeJuice

Hey thanks man, really liked your story as well. It was unique and and thought out well. Just got done everyone else's and all of them are great! Seems to be a bit of talent here on ATS huh? Pretty cool.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Yes there is lots of Talent here, and New members join in the Writing Fun for every Contest, it's a Great Way to let someone know you're not just into Rants.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
That was a fantastic story and I too pray it's not prophetic. If it is than conspiracy folks like ourselves will be the first ones they haul away.

As I read the story I thought of my only son and kept thinking that sounds like something he'd do. The dummy.

It was an excellent first story for you and I look forward to more of your writing. I hope you do well in the contest,

wupy

top topics

join