It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a "true patriot"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Is it:

1) someone devoted to Washington, D.C. and the 50 States
or

2) someone devoted to the American people

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Neither.

It is someone devoted to the Constitution.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

and the pursuit of life, liberty, freedom etc

[edit on 24-6-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
"True patriot" is whoever likes to call those who he does not agree with Communists and Cool-Aid drinkers.

Of course, the louder the more patriotic that person is

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

A true Patriot is a person who is not only dedicating to his country and the American Way of Life, (not Wall Street wall but Main Street way) And the Constitution the Untied States of America. Not the phony U.N or world opinion, or far left liberals and Right Conservatives.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
A "true patriot" is someone who believes that the Constitution and the bill of rights,is the supreme law of the land. A true patriot believes that the ability to create laws falls under the jurisdiction of the Congress of The United States. Executive orders or Judicial preceedent are not legally laws!!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
A true patriot is willing to risk everything to right an injustice imposed on his or her people or country. ... A very rare thing in this day of people that use the term as way to manipulate others.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
"the pursuit of life, liberty, freedom etc"

"A true Patriot is a person who is not only dedicating to his country and the American Way of Life, (not Wall Street wall but Main Street way) And the Constitution the Untied States of America. Not the phony U.N or world opinion, or far left liberals and Right Conservatives."

"A "true patriot" is someone who believes that the Constitution and the bill of rights,is the supreme law of the land. A true patriot believes that the ability to create laws falls under the jurisdiction of the Congress of The United States. Executive orders or Judicial preceedent are not legally laws!!"

"A true patriot is willing to risk everything to right an injustice imposed on his or her people or country. ... A very rare thing in this day of people that use the term as way to manipulate others."

ALL OF THE ABOVE! I love it! great question, it's short, to the point and will only get straight down to the answer if answered honestly. Great question for discusion

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx

Neither.

It is someone devoted to the Constitution.

Then Patrick Henry and Richard Henry Lee aren't real patriots in your book. Both were opposed to ratification of the Constitution. Yet, they are listed as some of the Founding Fathers.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I agree with most of the posts so far. But, at what point or from what perspective does the term "Patriot" turn into "Terrorist"? Most of us here would claim the title "Patriot" because we believe that the U.S. Constitution is a living document that has served our country well. Many pledge an oath to and have died for the Constitution and many will do so again. Again though, based on your perspective a "Patriot" can be a monkey wrench in the plans of those that wish to circumvent the law of the land. For example, Radical Islamic teachings claim that being a suicide bomber is a Patriotic act for Allah and the Islamic Jihad. To us, it is the definition of a Terrorist.
So, I guess I answered my own question. The definition of Patriot depends on your perspective.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Did they abide by it?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The true patriot stands behind the constitution, on all fronts, not just sections that they advocate for. The true patriot doesnt follow its government off a cliff, doesnt feel the need to comply to "fake" patriots. The true patriot is not a nationalist, the true patriot rather focuses on the intentions of the founding fathers.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Tis subjective.

Some think it is Ron Paul, others think it is Sean Hannity. I think it is Snuffleupagus.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Words and laguage are fluid and alive. If I told you I have a fag in my mouth it may disturb some of you untill you realize the transition that word has gone thru.

With that being said,

A true patriot (these days) is one who keeps his mouth shut, eyes closed,pay his taxes, and doesn't F** with or question the government. One who supports the President in ALL of his decisions and is willing to defend at all costs the B.S. propaganda that spews out of the MSM. One who would be willing to silence those who would speak out unfavorably against the Gubberment and kill, if necessary, his neighbor if he thinks that he may be a terrorist.

That my friend, is a "True Patriot".

Long live King Obama.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
With all the changes in the CONSTITUTION and BILL of RIGHTS I would not worry too much about defending it unless you are referring to the ORIGINALS. I would say a true patriot is a person who respects the rights of fellow Americans no matter their color, speech, social status, sex and religion. A person who would not resort to violence to demonstrate their patriotism but would stand shoulder to shoulder with friends family neighbors and strangers to protect everyones rights. A person who would not sit on the sidelines(internet) and complain when patriotism is threatened(the current PTB) but would leave the comfort of their air conditioned home and let their voice be heard(peaceful demonstrations like tea parties) and not backdown when confronted by the ones destroying our civil rights our human rights and our American rights. God Bless America and the ones who are true patriots.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Yeah -- good question -- "Patriot" is one of those marketing tools. Patriotism tends to be associated with support for some political related ideal as you list. Really, I think a true patriot cares about truth and abhors hypocrisy and duplicity. A patriot has a natural dislike for the use of coercion and force as well as lies. Really, almost everything man engineers in the world is wrong and unnatural. A true patriot has an affinity for the natural and the simple.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
A patriot stands behind the government when it is right , and stands behind the people when the government is wrong.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
What is a patriot,...

One who would die,...

...if it would strengthen the freedom of the populace in the face of any government.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
What is a patriot,...

One who would die,...

...if it would strengthen the freedom of the populace in the face of any government.
That description sounds very much like the people who will blow themselves up to inflict cassualties that we call terrorist..... What one calls a freedom fighter, another calls a terrorist.

top topics

join