It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rights group sues FBI to reveal its surveillance rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Rights group sues FBI to reveal its surveillance rules

rawstory.com

A digital privacy watchdog group has filed suit against the Department of Justice in an attempt to make public new FBI surveillance rules that allow the bureau to spy on Americans even without any suspicion of terrorist activities.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has been tracking the FBI’s new surveillance rules, in effect since late last year, which broadly expand the bureau’s ability to use surveillance methods previously limited only to terrorism investigations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It seems that everytime I post a thread stating that a suit has been filed that could possibly shed some light on curruption within our own Government I get a bunch of members who scream "Waste of time" "Will not get it's day in court" and so on. The truth is, the more law suits filed helps get the word out and increases the possiblity of the issues getting to more and more people. Anything bringing attention to our fight helps wake up more people everyday. I know this is my sole opinion but I would love to hear yours.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
You're alright man. Keep doing what you do.

Whether or not we will ever get any insight into just how far they peer into our lives, I think the hard part is getting people to care about it.

I thought it really funny how the other day DHS said they were going to stop letting local law enforcement use their spy satellites. They didn't say anything about limiting their OWN use of them against their OWN people.

Thanks for the post man.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Exactly "KSPigpen" right about the DHS statement the other day. It's just like Obama saying that the CIA involvement in Iran is "Parently False". I love it when they say watch this hand as the other hand is resting on the bottons.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
There are many here who are sedentary and ill-at-ease with the notion of challenging the government. They are prepared to completely disregard the efforts of any who offer resistance, either because they are jaded and cynical or they are media-zombies who can't think clearly anymore.

The truth is there is little hope for the Justice Department to police itself. The Judicial branch of our government is teetering on the edge of impotence, simply because they have been indoctrinated to value 'political relevance' over 'justice.'

The law was always intended to apply equally to all people. That was the theory. It is they who have found that protecting certain people and agendas was more profitable or comfortable than doing the 'right' thing.

More law suits might have a negative effect you know. Just as the flood of malpractice suits brought against an increasingly sloppy and ambivalent healthcare industry led to legislation protecting insurance companies; this could lead to legislation isolating law enforcement services from accountability on the premise that they could be supporting national security.

Hell, they even have the DOJ involved in persecuting copyright infringement, spending tax dollars to ensure that a decaying business model continues to stream revenue into the pockets of anyone who parasitically feeds off artistic creations.

Suppose this lawsuit leads to the DOJ pressuring Congress and the Senate to 'do something' to stop the resource-draining litigation? Whom do you think they will protect? Us or THEIR justice department?

Remember, without political backing, these lawsuits are in fact likely to be resolved as expediently and beneficially as possible for the government industry that owns and operates this nation as if we were their employees.

But I always believed that good people pop up when least expected, and there could be some judges and lawyers out there still, even to this day, who would rather see the nation their children will live in become a place of greater freedom from oppression and suffocating oversight by the government.

Sorry.... rant off.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Finally someone stepping to the man. Shouldnt the entirety of ATS be supporting this?

new topics

top topics

join