It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware of a tricky Microsoft Outlook "update"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This very realistic looking e-mail purportedly from Microsoft appeared in the inbox of a Chronicle news editor this afternoon.

Source Link: blog.seattlepi.com...

According to computer security company Trend Micro, this tricky new spam e-mail was spotted during the weekend. The e-mail looks every bit like an e-mail about a Microsoft bug and security fix. And all the links are legitimate - except for one.

I honestly hate scams like these, they set out to knock out average everyday users who've done nothing to ask for these PC problems, who most of the time can't afford to have their PC repaired and what I find most annoying is that our "McAfee's, Norton's, TrendMicro's software that is supose to protect us DON"T!

I honestly hope this alert/warning makes it's way to every member to beware.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Rams59lb

First, thanks for the warning. I normally delete any emails from a source that is unknown but it's always good to be forewarned - never know - I might have had just one two many beers or wines one night and get careless...

Secondly, agree about the wonderful ant-virus software - despite having M...ee, somehow, manged to receive a trojan.... Ran M..ee anti-virus but clean. Checked their site for advice - complex. In the end, found a reference to a shraware product Malwareby and this cleaned it up. Realise it is difficult to keep up with everything that's been thrown out on the net but....

Peace!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

Your more then welcome, I hope others get the alert as you and I both agree that McAfee and other software don't truly protect us as much as they claim to. I appreciate your post.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Wow... How many people actually still use Office XP anyway? It's ancient. And since MS never tells you updates through email*.... why would you fall for it?

* mostly my computer (when I'm in Windows, at least) tells me it has already updated and needs restarting every five minutes, real user friendly.

new topics

top topics

join