It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State by State Map of Unemployment, Foreclosures, and Budget Deficits

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
What you are talking about is the state's budget. Of course they are not supposed to pass a budget deficit. The problem here is that the deficits are here due to their current budget combined with the recent downfall of states incomes. The deficit happens without anyone voting or changing anything. These states that have a deficit, have one because in the near future the budget that at one time was good and based off of their income at the time they passed their budget, now has less income to support the budget.

They of course will try to change the budget in order to decrease or remove the deficit but in the long run, considering the economic crash, will only turn into a deficit again.

As more people lose jobs, they spend less, causing even more job loss. It is a vicious cycle of trickle down economics that is going to be very hard to break.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Don't get me wrong, I love the state of Texas, but in reality transprency does not equate to truthfullness. Politicians lie, cheat, and steal. They just do not face the consequences most do.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
And just for good measure:

National data consistently demonstrates that Texas is at or near the bottom of the 50 states in spending when its economy and population are taken into place. Per capita, Texas ranked 50th in state government spending and 49th in state taxes in 2006

That was in 2006. There is alot of differences between then and now. You cannot use numbers from 3 years ago to devise your opinion on the current financial crisis.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
You tell me transparency means nothing . . .

Sure buddy.

Lost credibility on that one

Like I said, Texas is not in a deficit. I know my state.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

You tell me transparency means nothing . . .

Sure buddy.

Lost credibility on that one

Like I said, Texas is not in a deficit. I know my state.

Unless you are on the inside of the state congressional body, I doubt you know any more than what the press lets you know. Texas government is just as corrupt as any other state.

Like what was said before, post some links. Data from years ago does not count right now. New data is coming out every day. I am not trying to be mean but you are in here fighting against real data from real sources, and it is real current.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

That map is wrong.

Texas does not have a deficit. It can't go into the red, by law, unless each line item to go into red is passed by 4/5 of congress.

So the map is a bit flawed with that.

Never mind the fact that TX does have a Rainy Day fund of ~9 billion that has not been tapped yet..

Texas can go into the red after a bill is approved.. if they approve a 100 billion dollar budget for fiscal year 2011, but the tax receipts deteriorate from now to then, the budget will be red. Someone else called it "future" liabilities on the states part .. because budgets have to be planned so far in advanced, and once it is planned the sale of debt to ensure the funding then takes place. Same for Texas, only their budget cannot exceed projected tax income.

My state is the 2nd highest unemployment.. almost entirely centered on one city. Which happens to be the one I moved to.
Granted, the small town we where almost going to move to (Bend Oregon) turned out to have 21% unemployment, though minuscule in size to Portland, which is at 12.3%.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

But like I said, they have the Rainy Day Fund to cover up the extra.

They have been short a couple of billion every year, but that is immediately taken car of.

For example.

They say we have $1000 to work with next year, plus the carry over Rainy Day Fund of $200.
$300 = Medicaid
$300 = Education
$200 = Extra crap
$200 = Rainy Day Fund

Then when something extra comes up (Hurricane, depression, etc.) and the budget was actually $1,100 . . . it is covered.

Get it?

And yes, it is usually put into play when they need it . . . not the next convening session.

[edit on 24/6/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
In Rhode Island we are seeing more homeless people. Shelters are filled to capacity so they take to the woods in their tents. Very sad.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

1.) Texas government is not like all other government. That is why we are not in the same crap as the rest of the nation. Our government is smart and transparent. You might not believe it, but the truth is in the pudding

2.) Take a gander through the following link, and the links provided by that link. You really only need to read the headlines, though. All of this WHILE THE REST OF THE NATION CRUMBLES DOWN THE ECONOMIC TUBE. Coincidence? I do not believe in coincidence.

Link

[edit on 24/6/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
OK OK...ENOUGH WITH TEXAS!

Lets establish that the Texas portion of the story is in "DOUBT" and lets MOVE ON please!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join