It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archeologists have uncovered surprisingly sophisticated grain storage that PREDATES plant domesticat

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

personally, wheat would be the last thing i'd grow to go with my auroch barbeque. but maybe that is the fair question. men who pen cows for more than just themselves are agriculturists too aren't they? would a huge cowpen that obviously served more than just one community do anything to the date? is feeding them just gathering or is that agriculture.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hmmm Maybe an Ancient SeedVault like the one we built here in Norway for the coming hollidays...

i think the Time of it suggest such an scenario.. It is an Reaccuring scenario.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I agree with one of the earlier postings...this doesn't mean humans were domesticating plants earlier. Someone discovers some grasses have edible seeds, they gather them, eat them.

...but a storage place for seeds/grain prior to agriculture..? not that hard to believe...in fact probably more of a logical evolution from gathering to farming don't you think?

They probably learned the hard way from poor "gatherings", going a bit hungry over winter or eating mainly animals (maybe a cause for the extinction of mammoths? Just a thought :-) ) so logically the next step would be to gather more for the next winter? If squirrels can do it then so can humans. So I reckon they stored the stuff in their own home until the rats/mice/vermin plagued dwellings, til some screaming "cavewoman" , lets call her Wilma, moans at Fred to build another place to keep the rats away from Pebbles...so Fred builds another one out the back but still got rats and stuff so built a raised platform for the following year...much the same way we still do things. Trial, error, mistakes made, learned from those mistakes...in fact don't we still use this method...

...yeah you're right...ancient people were smarter than us...well, some of us anyway

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join