It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest UK armoured cars unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

A fleet of armoured vehicles designed for use in Afghanistan has been unveiled by the Ministry of Defence. The Husky, Wolfhound and Coyote models are being introduced as part of a £350m tactical support vehicles programme.

BBC

About time they spent some money improving the equipment our troops have, the question is though will these be any better at protecting our troops from ied's that the snatch land rover? the image shown in the article shows that that vehicle at least doesn't seem to have much side or upper armour so how will it stop flying shrapnel?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I remember in WWII there were these anti-mine tank attachments. They extended some distance in front of the tank and were wider than the tank itself. At the very front were these weighted balls on chains sort of like a mace and they spun. Reminded me of farm equipment. Anyway, they spun, hit a mine, explode, chains would get replaced and the tank would continue on its on way. Granted moving behind one of these would be slower than just cruising along but it would be safer.

There must be a reason why the military's of the world have opted to just drive into them and explode rather than use this method.

Mine Flails
Mine Roller

Granted, I dont know anything at all about these things or the IED's they see over there everyday.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Those Coyote's don't look very armoured at all. Look quite exposed. Is there some sort of fitting system onto that which the armour goes or is that it complete? Looks more like a large dune buggy.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Thats if they get those vechiles, A report has came out by a Think Tank, that says the defense budget needs to be slashed. Oh great means Our armed forces with have less resources.

"The UK should consider slashing defence spending by up to £24bn and revisit plans to renew its Trident nuclear deterrent, a think-tank report says."

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The Coyote comes in multiple configurations for multiple purposes. That is one, big, heavily armored truck, and the personnel carrier carried 2+ 8.

They have a 4X4 and a 6X6.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
that would be cool if they actuqally got something new

really thats just a exibition of possible purchases,

Main Site

Militaryphotos.net

[edit on 30-6-2009 by werk71]

[edit on 30-6-2009 by werk71]

top topics

join