It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbon Nano Tubes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
What in the blue hell are Carbon Nano Tubes, feel free to delete this post if theres more been made im just seein stuff about them left right and centre

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The superior mechanical and electrical properties of carbon nanotubes have intrigued materials scientists for a decade. But they've struggled to take advantage of the hollow tubes, just nanometers wide, for macroscopic projects.

Now, researchers have spun the tubes into composite fibers that are tougher than steel, Kevlar, or spider silk. The new fibers appear to be tougher than any other synthetic or natural material, says Ray Baughman of the University of Texas at Dallas in Richardson

Read the full article: It is quite good.
www.sciencenews.org...

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JCMinJapan
The superior mechanical and electrical properties of carbon nanotubes have intrigued materials scientists for a decade. But they've struggled to take advantage of the hollow tubes, just nanometers wide, for macroscopic projects.

Now, researchers have spun the tubes into composite fibers that are tougher than steel, Kevlar, or spider silk. The new fibers appear to be tougher than any other synthetic or natural material, says Ray Baughman of the University of Texas at Dallas in Richardson

Read the full article: It is quite good.
www.sciencenews.org...

Thanks for that buddy! Strange aint it thinkin about how strong spider silk is, any idea wether we can manipulate it yet?! Would be interesting

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
They plan to use this new tubing to create a "space elevator". Well... it's not even in planning yet, but it was a proposition.

It's in Popular Science magazine, or www.popsci.com if you want to read about it.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Stronger than steel. Amazing little tubes, they are. Unfortunatelly, I think the largest made in labs to date is 1/2 a centimeter. One day, hopefully soon, they will be used in the space elevator WastedDeath777 spoke of (read the same mag
).

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Yeah, theres the space elevator, the pyramid thingy in japan, check the popsci website mentions it there thats what got me thinkin about it

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Go to the New Scientist web site and search for nanotubes. It has 19 articles about them. Interesting.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Similar to these are nanocomposites, which are materials that are made 100, 200, or even 300% stonger than the original material. it's currently used in some automobile manufacturers as anti-dent stuff. Should be mass produced in the near future. I had to write a paper on Nanotechnology and here's a site I got almost all my info:
Nanotechnology

you can explore the site for anything else your curious about. To find info on stuff like nanocrystals and such, put your mouse over the nano intro, and select Current uses.

Here is the info it gives on Nanotubes:

Nanotubes

Examples:
Nanoledge makes carbon nanotubes for commercial uses, of which one mundane (marketing tactic) use is in a tennis racket, made by Babolat. The yoke of the racket bends less during ball impact, improving the player's performance.
Impact: Once companies like Nanoledge can scale-up their production from grams, to pounds, to tons, and can do so while controlling the type of nanotube they produce, the world becomes their oyster: everywhere strength and weight are a factor - such as in the aerospace, automobile, and airplane industries - they will make a major (disruptive) impact. See French firm hopes to get PR bounce out of nanotubes in tennis rackets

Applied Nanotech recently demonstrated a 14" monochrome display based on electron emission from carbon nanotubes.
Impact: Once the process is perfected, costs will go down, and the high-end market will start being filled. Shortly thereafter, and hand-in-hand with the predictable drop in price of CNTs, production economies-of-scale will enable the costs to drop further still, at which time we will see nanotube-based screens in use everywhere CRTs and view screens are used today. See Applied Nanotech demonstrates carbon nanotube TV

And Samsung is expected to demonstrate a CNT-based 32" display by the end of 2003.

Hope this helps you with anything you wanyed to know!

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Thanks for all the info, answered a few questions

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stuey1221
Yeah, theres the space elevator, the pyramid thingy in japan, check the popsci website mentions it there thats what got me thinkin about it

The pyramid building in Japan is a project that is actually in the works. I live over here and have heard about it. It is a plan to help with the over-congested city. It is awsome just thinking about it. If you have the discovery channel or can get the vids, it is one of the Super Structure series I think. Not positive on the name, but I think that it is. The structure would have to be held by nanotubes, nothing else would be able to hold the weight. They are certainly amazing things that will change the world ONCE PERFECTED.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Yeah, thats the one i couldnt remember what it was, Super Structures seems more logical than the extreme machines one lol, I wouldnt mind seeing that though, wonder if we'll be alive when its finished/populated, would be interesting

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Stronger than steel. Amazing little tubes, they are. Unfortunatelly, I think the largest made in labs to date is 1/2 a centimeter. One day, hopefully soon, they will be used in the space elevator WastedDeath777 spoke of (read the same mag
).
Actually I think they have managed to pin down a process that can make strands of single-walled nanotubes up to 2 meters in lengeth. Nanotubes can be made from any type of Atom, Carbon seems to be the easiest to work with right now.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
how long has the research been going on into these by the way?

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
wow this is intresting technology, iv never heard of this until i read those links hmm.. wonder what else they could make with this type of technology....

...o and i heard a 10cm diameter of spun spider silk can stop a boeing 747 traveling at 700 mph .... amazing stuff...

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedom_88
wow this is intresting technology, iv never heard of this until i read those links hmm.. wonder what else they could make with this type of technology....

...o and i heard a 10cm diameter of spun spider silk can stop a boeing 747 traveling at 700 mph .... amazing stuff...

Have to aggree that is pretty amazing, looks like we're enterting a new era in building design doesn't it!

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stuey1221
Yeah, thats the one i couldnt remember what it was, Super Structures seems more logical than the extreme machines one lol, I wouldnt mind seeing that though, wonder if we'll be alive when its finished/populated, would be interesting

Actually, you may be right with extreme machines... In Japan, the titles usually do not amtch anyways, but that does sound familiar... Too much discovery channel I guess. ha ha

Actually, they were talking about starting the project in about 10 years. I ready that they were supposed to have machines making the nanotubes as it sort of built itself. Quite interesting an remarkable.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Actually, you may be right with extreme machines...

I think what you're actually thinking of is Extreme Engineering.

Great show talking about future designs of enormous proportion and the technology that will make them possible. A couple of the shows have been on already completed projects, like the Hong Kong International Airport

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurdueNuc

Actually, you may be right with extreme machines...

I think what you're actually thinking of is Extreme Engineering.

Great show talking about future designs of enormous proportion and the technology that will make them possible. A couple of the shows have been on already completed projects, like the Hong Kong International Airport

Lol, right well we've establised that the 1st word is Extreme, now to fiugre out the rest!!!!!!!! I think he's got it though

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Extreme Engineering... you win a cookie.. Thanks alot. The tokyo project is here if someone is interested. media.dsc.discovery.com...

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JCMinJapan
Extreme Engineering... you win a cookie.. Thanks alot. The tokyo project is here if someone is interested. media.dsc.discovery.com...

I think i put a that link on another post i started about the trans atlantic tunnel, which if you like that about the Tokyo Project ya should love
Transatlantic Post

top topics

<<   2 >>

join