It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Ambassador to Syria? Buddying Up with Iran?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
It appears Obama doesn't have enough on his plate he has decided to send a US Ambassador to Syria.

www.cnn.com...

President Obama has decided to send a U.S. ambassador back to Syria, a dramatic sign of reconciliation between the two countries, senior administration officials tell CNN. The announcement is expected to be made this week.

We all know that Syria is a puppet of the Iranian regime, is this a move by Obama to counteract the regime or open discussions with them??

Or is this a "Godfather" technique. "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer".

The United States also wants Syrian support in achieving a comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace, and appears willing to nurture indirect peace talks between Syria and Israel, which began last year, over the disputed Golan Heights.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by Ace High]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High
It appears Obama doesn't have enough on his plate he has decided to send a US Ambassador to Syria.

www.cnn.com...

President Obama has decided to send a U.S. ambassador back to Syria, a dramatic sign of reconciliation between the two countries, senior administration officials tell CNN. The announcement is expected to be made this week.

We all know that Syria is a puppet of the Iranian regime, is this a move by Obama to counteract the regime or open discussions with them??

Or is this a "Godfather" technique. "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer".

The United States also wants Syrian support in achieving a comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace, and appears willing to nurture indirect peace talks between Syria and Israel, which began last year, over the disputed Golan Heights.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by Ace High]

We all know that you're die-hard pro-Israel, so before you twist this story I just want to recognise the probability that Obama is just trying to create peace. Obama doesn't hate Iran, as I know you probably want him too. There is no reason to hate Iran over the CIA-ignited fiasco that unfortunately occured. Also, it's just an ambassador, don't go screaming nuke Iran just yet. You're implying that in the immediate future Iran-Syria is a threat to America, the only realistic threat to America is a certain country that takes billions of dollars from us each year and defies our policies *cough**cough*. Oh, how did we get talking about Iran, I thought he sent the ambassador to SYRIA? Agenda detected, fail.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by TravisYah]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Travis, Sorry you have a problem with me. I am pretty far from diehard Israel, just don't think they should be wiped off the map. Yeh, I remember your comments.

Maybe you have me pegged as a conservative but I don't follow any political lines. I am as independent as they come.

I just think it is bad timing, that is all. I thought this article would interest fellow ATSers.

Israel has done some pretty over the line stuff. The recent wars/attacks on Palestinian civilians were uncalled for.

I really would prefer not fighting with you in this thread. Please post things relevant to the article.

THANKS!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
That's what diplomacy is for, opening lines of communication to resolve conflicts without military intervention. We need to establish and improve these ties all over the board, not just in the Middle East.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Mending fences with the middle east can only be a good thing.... yes? If we want to look the the long term big picture, eventually we have to make friends with all these countries we have alienated or double crossed in the past otherwise there will never be peace on this earth... and that can only be a bad thing.... yes?

IRM

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Mending fences with the middle east can only be a good thing.... yes? If we want to look the the long term big picture, eventually we have to make friends with all these countries we have alienated or double crossed in the past otherwise there will never be peace on this earth... and that can only be a bad thing.... yes?

IRM

Very true.

I think this may be a way of opening communication with Iran as well as Syria, but talking never hurt anyone.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Now I think I know why Nancy Pelosi made that trip to Syria a few years ago. Its obviously all part of a big conpiracy, a plan of sorts, that I haven't figured out yet, but still, hmmmmm....... Oh, wait, wait, before the U.S. attacked Iraq, the Iraqi's sent all their nuclear material to Syria, and now, since Iraq isn't friendly to Syria, cus they are in the the U.S.'s back pocket, they now want to align with Iran,........and and........oh, hell, it's all complicated to me. I want to be the Barbi doll that said, "Math is hard. Let's go shopping."
If anyone can truly figure this all out, then I will cast a vote for this person to be World President. Of course, I will eventually trash this person.

Hmmm....Syria backed the UN resolutions to attack Iraq during Desert Storm. Hmmmmmmm.... Crap. I have a headache. WTF! Wasn't it a lot cheaper and less complicated to just pay 1 dollar a gallon for gas 12 years ago? Would it not have been more expedient to just let Israel die on its own years ago? WTF is it all about? There's got to be something more spiritual, oh, how blasphemous these actions are to my spirit, or something .............oh, hell, I quit. Night folks. I am going to paint what I feel, since I can't put it into words. Peace. (What I'd like.)

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
There's got to be something more spiritual, oh, how blasphemous these actions are to my spirit, or something .............oh, hell, I quit. Night folks. I am going to paint what I feel, since I can't put it into words. Peace. (What I'd like.)

LOL I feel the same very often!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
That's what diplomacy is for, opening lines of communication to resolve conflicts without military intervention. We need to establish and improve these ties all over the board, not just in the Middle East.

But how successful can negotiations be with Syria? It is pretty much accepted that they get their marching orders from Tehran. Tehran has refused Obama's offers for discussions. I just don't think this is going to improve matters.

Maybe I am wrong.

edit for typo.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Ace High]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

You have to take in the bigger picture.
I am very familiar with the situation in the middle east.

First, you have to understand that Syria and Iran are political allies due to the political climate rather than an ideological or political stance. Iran is a predominant Shia religiously run country, while Syria is Secular - since the leadership in Syria is a minority Alawite Sect.

Ideologically Iran and Hezbullah are in line. Syria is the vessel between these 2.

Syria at the moment is getting the support of Iran, and Hezbullah by helping in the transfers between these two (be it money/weapons, etc.. I cant say for certain)

Syria also has offices for Hamas and other militia groups from the middle east operating in Damascus.

If the USA was able to appease Syria away from all these countries/organizations a link will be severed between Iran and Hezbullah and various groups in Iraq.

Syria know the position they are in very well, and are trying to maximise the benefits they get from either side. There is currently a bidding war between the USA and the regional powers for the support of the country.

Iran by no means has total control over Syria. If tomorrow morning, Syria cuts ties with Iran, Hezbullah, Hammas, the PKK (Kurdish rebillion), Amal, etc.. the USA will put pressure on Isreal to accommodate any agreement they put on the table.

Syria is simply a small country with a strategic connection to all the trouble makers in the region. they are the part of the puzzle that if taken out, most 'rebellion' forces around the region will not be able to function as effectively.

Bush Jr tried the hard line with them. He imposed sanctions on them, etc.. (because of smuggling night goggles to Iraq), and that did not work. Now the french and the Obama are trying the 'good cop' approach on them. We will see what is yet to happen.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordKnowaLot
reply to post by Ace High

Iran by no means has total control over Syria. If tomorrow morning, Syria cuts ties with Iran, Hezbullah, Hammas, the PKK (Kurdish rebillion), Amal, etc.. the USA will put pressure on Isreal to accommodate any agreement they put on the table.

Syria is simply a small country with a strategic connection to all the trouble makers in the region. they are the part of the puzzle that if taken out, most 'rebellion' forces around the region will not be able to function as effectively.

Bush Jr tried the hard line with them. He imposed sanctions on them, etc.. (because of smuggling night goggles to Iraq), and that did not work. Now the french and the Obama are trying the 'good cop' approach on them. We will see what is yet to happen.

I certainly hope the "good cop" approach works. The world would love to have a positive ally in Syria. So many cities have such strong historic ramifications. They could have a great tourism industry.

I certainly don't see Syria cutting ties with Hezbullah! I hope that I am wrong.

top topics

join