It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop, Anthony Abbate Gets, Probation, No Jail, For Beating Female Bartender.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

CHICAGO — An off-duty Chicago police officer convicted of pummeling a female bartender half his size was sentenced Tuesday to two years probation and anger management classes for the videotaped attack that appeared worldwide on the Internet and cable news channels.

Cook County Circuit Judge John Fleming also gave Anthony Abbate a home curfew of 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. and ordered him to perform 130 hours of community service.

Prosecutors had asked for prison for Abbate _ he could have been sentenced to up to five years behind bars _ but the judge said he didn't see aggravating factors to justify a prison term.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Of course he didn't see any aggravating factors that would justify a prison term, he's sentencing a Chicago police Officer
If he has been sentencing a citizen i'm sure he would have seen all kinds of aggravating factors that would justify a prison term.

We have no hope of curbing the violent behavior of our LEO's when the judges let them off with such lenient sentences, and justify their belief that they are themselves above the laws that they are to uphold. We are so outraged at the behavior of our LEO's lately, yet how do we expect them to behave when the judges basically condone their actions.

This was an off duty police officer that weighed 250 lbs, got drunk and beat the crap out of a 125 lb female bartender when she refused to serve him. She had the courage to press charges and stick it out while being intimidated by his friends and sit through the whole process that took over two years to complete. What kind of justice is this for her, what kind of justice is this for all of us ?!

IMO if an LEO is found guilty of breaking a law that he is paid to uphold that LEO should receive twice the sentence that a citizen would receive.

For those who have not seen what the police officer did.....

Edit because i forgot to add link to story, and video.

[edit on 6/23/2009 by chise61]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
If I recall correctly I predicted that this would happen. Or at least I intented to post in the original thread about the attack that this guy will get away with it. Any normal person who does such an assault gets at least 5 if not 10 years in jail but this guy is a cop and can go right back home after the trial.
Facist system at work again

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
NO WAY!!! They are rewarding this drunk, woman beater with probation???

After reading almost daily about the cops killing and beating innocent people and house pets, I've lost all respect for all of them. What knd of real man would want to join a team like that unless he too was one of them.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
amazing...some guy steals lance armstrong's bike and gets sentenced to 3 months in jail...this cop is on tape beating on a woman and gets probation and zero jail time.
this country is backwards.

[edit on 6/23/2009 by heather65]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Apparantly the bartender wasn't the only person that Abbate was beating on that day. I found another article that says that he carried out three unprovoked assualts in a six hr time period that day.

A Chicago police officer avoided jail time today for pummeling a woman who was tending bar, even though prosecutors produced a previously unseen video showing him beating someone else at the bar hours earlier.

In the video, a man in the bar can be seen speaking with Abbate for a few seconds, after which Abbate grabs the man, slams him against a wall and then throws him across the room. The man crashes to the floor and into the bar stools, and Abbate stands over him as the man tries to shimmy away on his back.

Assistant State's Atty. LuAnn Snow said the attack was one of three unprovoked assaults in the span of 6 hours, a violent window into "a day in the life of Anthony Abbate." Authorities did not charge Abbate with the other two alleged attacks.

The article has video footage of him throwing a male customer around.

Luckily the police department is trying to have him fired, lets hope that they can at least do that much. It's very disturbing to think of someone like this man walking the streets with police authority.

The police department is seeking to have Abbate fired, and the Independent Police Review Authority has recommended that he be dismissed, according to Supt. Jody Weis. The case is up before the Police Board on July 7.

"I don't think anyone who behaves like that should be a police officer," Weis said after the sentencing.

www.chicagobreakingnews.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I predicted the same thing, but then again i live in chicago, so i'm used to what they let the cops get away with here. Hopefully they'll at least throw him off the force. We have a new police superintendent and he doesn't seem to pleased to have this kind of cop on his force. Hopefully none of the surrounding suburbs will hire him after he's fired.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
this is a spit in every US citizens face. when does it become aware to you?

when it`s your sister or daughter or wife? I guess that everyones so drugged up with chemtrail prozac. What does anything matter anymore?

Be a spactator and dissolve the land of the free: Your kids won`t thank you as they have watched you continue to be asleep in the greatest robbery in history. "Daddy ..why am I a slave?'" .. "Shut up kid .. we`re
watching the game ..now pass me a beer and go walk them streets"

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

Yes they also rewarded him by dropping 14 of 15 charges against him before the trial ended

He was initially charged with 15 counts that included official misconduct, intimidation, conspiracy and communicating with a witness. All but the battery charge were dropped before the trial's end.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The judge dropped the official misconduct charges, stated that there was no evidence

In dropping the official misconduct charges, Fleming said there was no evidence Abbate abused his position as a police officer, noting that even Obrycka testified Abbate never showed his badge or identified himself as an officer.

archives.chicagotribune.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by heather65

He got zero jail time because he was smart enough to waive his right to trial by jury. Had he had a trial by jury i seriously doubt he would have got off with no jail time.

Abbate waived his right to a jury trial.

archives.chicagotribune.com...

Maybe we should all become Chicago cops so we too can commit crimes and get off scott free.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by deprogrammer

You're right it is like spitting in our faces. Maybe karma will step in and show this judge just how big of a mistake he has made with this joke of a sentence. I hope the bartender sues the cop in civil court and takes him for everything he has !

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
It's starting to look like only the citizens can stop this madness now. Unless there could be civil lawsuits against him by the other people he beat up? I'm not sure but the article says that authorities didn't press charges on those assaults but the evidence is there. Any expert in here know if the other victims could sue him in civil court? Of course there's the risk of being 'black listed' by his work mates then but I'd dry that. In that case carrying a video camera + audio recorder might come a necessity.
At least that might make up little for this injustice but it's still a slap on the wrist.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
It's starting to look like only the citizens can stop this madness now. Unless there could be civil lawsuits against him by the other people he beat up? I'm not sure but the article says that authorities didn't press charges on those assaults but the evidence is there. Any expert in here know if the other victims could sue him in civil court? Of course there's the risk of being 'black listed' by his work mates then but I'd dry that. In that case carrying a video camera + audio recorder might come a necessity.
At least that might make up little for this injustice but it's still a slap on the wrist.

Things are getting out of control. These cops are more and more power hungry and are becoming a menace to society themselves.

Another thread on cops beating women.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure they could all sue him in civil court and probably win. However since the other two wouldn't even press charges i doubt that they will sue him either.

We all know what we're up against with the cops in Chicago, if you dare to press charges they never leave you alone. My ex's nephew was beaten badly by one of them about 15 yrs ago, ended up in the hospital. He pressed charges, it took about three years he won the case and a hefty sum of money. They never left him alone, he'd move they'd find him and harrass him, lock him up for anything they could trump up, he finally had to move downstate to live in peace again.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

These cops are more and more power hungry and are becoming a menace to society themselves

You couldn't be more right. The problem is their gang mentality and their belief that they are above the law.

The now act worse than the street gangs they are supposed to protect us from.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

These cops are more and more power hungry and are becoming a menace to society themselves

You couldn't be more right. The problem is their gang mentality and their belief that they are above the law.

The now act worse than the street gangs they are supposed to protect us from.

I worked closely with police officers in my area for about eight months. As I made friends with some of them I learned some amazing things. Most have limited education, GED and high school diplomas (not that there is anything wrong with that). Within their ranks it is amazingly competitive. Most Departments resemble Lord of the Flies. Backstabbing is rampant. Social groups form, evidence is planted, it is amazing. This is in a medium sized town, not any type of Metropolis.

It really is a mad, mad world.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

It's no longer just a believe that they're above the law. These days it's sad reality.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Yes i sometimes see the competitiveness amongst them when they are out on the streets answering a call, and many times citizens catch the brunt of it because of the stress it causes.

Yes and getting madder everyday.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

You're right.

The judge that presided over this case just proved that point quite well. What a shame that our judicial system has failed due to mass corruption.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
what an outrage,,,, although i'm not surprised by the outcome,,,,
i just posted this response in another thread on june 20,,

"also,,, many times when a cop is caught redhanded,,,,like the ny cops who raped the guy with a mop,,,,, they waive their rights to a jury trial,,,,letting instead a judge hear the case and rule on it

cops, D.A.'s and judges surely all have each others backs
'

and the judges let the cops off easy,,, minimal sentences etc "

go figure,,,, it only took what 3 days to confirm my allegations

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
the old saying,,,,

it's not what you know,,, it's WHO you know

sure rings true here, huh???

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>