It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the European Union is so quiet about this ? Warning: GRAPHIC

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Domestic livestock breed in numbers that sustain their kind despite being food animals for humans. Dolphins and whales, however, do not, and cannot keep their populations stable when humans are slaughtering them on this sort of scale.

The amount of pilot whales they harvest do not seem to effect their numbers much, it at all, does this make it acceptable to you? It's not like they are taking more than they need for survival. They are not endangered and the kills are relatively small, unlike other commercial kills by other nations that would wipe out 50,000+ in one season in the past. The number of pilot whales in the North Atlantic seems to be between 250,000+ on the low side to 440,000 - 1.3M on the high side. We aren't talking an endangered species here, pilot whales are one of the most numerous whales in the world and the numbers they kill are relatively small.

I take it your point is mankind shouldn't be eating any wild animals, but us subjecting livestock to truly horrendous lifetimes is somehow ok? I don't get how you can get those two thoughts to coexist in your moral compass at the same time. For me they are both sources of food to be properly harvested, managed and maintained. It would be different if they were endangered or not used for food, but that is not the case. I don't particularly like that most domestic livestock lead such horrible lives, but it's a trade off I am willing to live with to have steak and chicken on my grill.

You whole point of Domestic livestock sustaining their numbers is a joke. Mankind would eat through all the cattle and pigs in the world if we didn't not artificially maintain those numbers.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
OMG save the whales but lets not save our own. Really when you live in a world where so often people seem to care more about animals than they do for there follow man, it's really pathetic.

I don't endorse animal cruelty, i have many pets of my own, I'm an animal lover but hey I'll come out admit I eat meat, so I won't even bother trying to be a hypocrite. Really the way I look at it, whatever your diet, be it you eat meat, you don't eat meat, your consuming something. Something must die, be it a plant or an animal, it must die so we can live, that's really what it comes down to.

Many people in 3rd world countries for example don't have the luxury of being picky with what type of food they eat. Pretend for a moment you were starving to death, can you honestly say you wouldn't eat meat? I'd hear excuses like well I had to survive to save the little chickens and the cows, and dogs, and rainbows.

But seriously do I hear the same group of people crying out about the loss of another human being? It seems a lot of animal activists have some sick hatred for there own kind, an animal is worth more to them than there fellow man. I don't care if this is a popular view, I've always spoken my mind, and now you have it.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by oconnection]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by and14263
You people are so unbelievably stupid you shouldn't be on this forum.
THEY ARE NOT DOLPHINS

well....

www.acsonline.org...

The pilot whale, like the killer whale, is a member of the dolphin family...

so... technically a dolphin?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
For those curious....

Pilot whale population numbers are unknown, however they are not considered endangered. There are an estimated 1 million long-finned pilot whales

marinebio.org...

Estimated 1 Million? not too bad...

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Not only are they eating the meat of the animals they kill, they divide it up among the community FOR FREE!

Hmmm, interesting concept. No matter how hard I try, I can't find anything wrong with it.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

WAKE UP ...

HOME

WAKE UP ...

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Do most of you even know where the Faroe Islands are located, they are located inbetween the UK and Iceland. It's a tiny nation that relies on fishing for it's economy, without fishing the people wouldn't be there. It's like trying to say to a inuit they can't hunt no more, they would starve to death.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
This is Sick,

However, the Dolphins are free, until this point, and it IS an very ancient custom, that has no profit as such with it, the whole animal is eaten.

Do you like chicken?

How about these ones farmed for your supermarket being beaten by metal rods?

Like Beef, ever seen a real branding being done on the beef you eat in the USA today?

Did you know you eat cancerous and Puss filled meat?

Its legal to happen in the USA?

How about skinned alive in the USA cows, with no aneasthetic?

All of this happens and more, come and meet your meat:

First of all a chicken, nor even cows have the intelligence of dolphins, and the entire dolphin family.

Second of all, these people strand whole families of pilot whales and kill every one of them, yes including baby pilot whales and some dolphins, and apparently as to what I have been reading they do it as often as they see families of whales/dolphins close to their shores "mostly" on summers.

Humans will ALWAYS be carnivours. I have seen vegetarians who after years of not eating meat, they almost look like skeletons. Not to mention the fact that vegetarians have to eat the same amount of proteins in plants, as if they were eating meat, which means, despite the claims of some people, that the diet of vegetarians does not reduce at all the amount of atmospheric CO2, and or methane.

Cows, and chickens get all the greenhouse gases they release from PLANTS, just like vegetarians.

I have read around here some people claiming that being vegetarian means they don't release as much CO2, or methane as people who eat meat, well sorry to say this but that is not true.

Rice harvests are the biggest source of anthropogenic methane emission, and the proteins eaten from beans, and such everyone should know exactly what happens with the amount of methane and CO2 they release after eating such vegies.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

I was referring to the big game hunters that first inhabited the new world, who were responsible for the extinction of the megafauna.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
Just because an animal is killed humanely, it doesn't mean that we have any right to kill the animal.

Any of you have a pet and eat meat? Someone explain that?

I don’t understand your point or mentality when you say that.

I have a pet and I eat meat, funny thing, my cat also eats meat a likes it. Humans were designed to eat meat. A lot of other animals were designed to eat meat, anyway even if you’re a vegetarian you are still killing something to eat, plants are alive. What gives you the right to say the life of a plant is less important than the life of a cow..... see how pathetic being a vegetarian is?

Would I eat my cat? No, and I assume she wouldn’t eat me either, but we do both love our meat!

Mikey

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I wish theyd have monkey round-ups. All types of monkey. Donate the meat to Purina. Can you imagine a friggin baboon roundup, 1000 pissed off baboons herded into a corner with a hundred guys with ARs waiting. Talk about meat!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Let me make another point, if animal activists loved animals so much why do you eat fruits, nuts, vegetables, ect when the manufacturing of such products kills many animals in the process? I can understand the health benefits of being vegetarian or vegan but how do you answer to the obvious killing of animals making what you eat?

I drove by a red lobster and there was a Peta sponsored protest. There was a woman carrying a sign that said, "Save the whales" and she was wearing a fur coat. I wish I had a camera handy because I couldn't believe my eyes. Even if it was fake fur it certainly presented a hypocritical message.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by oconnection]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by oconnection
I drove by a red lobster and there was a Peta sponsored protest. There was a woman carrying a sign that said, "Save the whales" and she was wearing a fur coat.

I didn't even know they served whale there! It must have replaced the "Lobsterfest".

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
OMG that is horrible! Those poor Dolphins
Where is PETA now huh? Oh wait they are too worried about a damn fly in the White House mean time these poor things are being slaughtered for no apparent reason!

Save the dolphins! I am saddened by these pictures. Why would they being doing this??? I cant think of any valid reason for killing all these animals. Look at the water! It's horrible!

S&F

What do you mean no apparent reason? These are food stuffs friend. These are native staples, and you have no business saying this is evil etc. Go and visit a slaughter house or two, or better yet go and visit a place where large cats roam watch closely as they prey on the young and weak.

Its natural friend folks depend on this harvest and that’s just the way it is. I am more than certain that they dispatch the beasts as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Save the whales!!!! God lord man, we already have.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Nope, my point is mankind should not be engaging in traditions that are destructive and pointless. The Faeroe Islanders are not some stone age bunch of hunter gatherers. They are a part of Europe, and thus, have access to the same foodstuffs and resources through importation and trade as the rest of western Europe. It's not like they are dependent upon whale meat for survival or trade.

Pilot whale numbers are in dispute. Most estimates I've seen vary from 200,000 to 750,000. Regardless of numbers, just because an animal is not in immediate danger of extinction does not mean that the animal is fair game. Especially given how hard it is to track and monitor cetacean behavior, breeding, ect. People used to think since there were so many passenger pigeons, that blasting away at them wouldn't hurt their populations.

I oppose abuse, confinement, and factory farming/cruel containment of farm animals. Animals that we raise for food should be allowed to live a decent, healthy life and be able to roam and socialize before they are slaughtered. Such slaughter should be carried out humanely as well. Sure, it will jack of the price of meat. So? it's not like dropping the Western consumption of meat would really be a bad thing. Might cut down on all the lardos and the rate of heart disease as well.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
ehhm unless someone already said this, those pictures are not denmark!
Im a Dane, born and raised and i ask ppl to plz do their research before bashing other ppl...
In there very first pic in the Op we see mountains in the background, well denmark is the only scandinavian country that _does not_ have mountains!

Thank you

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

OMG... I couldn't finish watching the videos of the chickens, cows, and pigs. It brought me to tears, and I am a meat eater. Why do they have to live in those condition? It was so sad especially seeing the 2 chickens resting on each other like they were trying to comfort one another.
Eating meat is an easy way to satisfy hunger for longer periods of time. I do think humans should be able to eat meat, but I agree that the animal should be allowed to roam free until they are used for food.

Dolphin and whale meat might be a good switch because at least it's free of antibotics and doesn't live a miserable life from the cradle to the grave.

[edit on 25-6-2009 by Teeky]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Some people just make me laugh, your so intertwined with your own values that it lowers a veil over reason and logic. These whales, which are actually members of the dolphin family, are hunted for food. It has been hunted for food by the islanders for centuries. How is hunting animals for food in any way destructive and pointless? HOW?

And, yes, lets bury the centuries old traditional Faroe meat and bring in a Walmart Supercenter so they can change their entire cultural cuisine into processed food like us.

These people have been hunting these whales for centuries. Do you not think they have figured out the quickest way to kill these animals? The Faroes used to go out in canoes to catch these whales, it would be quite dangerous for them to just slaughter with recklessness. These animals are killed quite quickly and methodically, with a manner of proficiency that has been honed for centuries. So don't antagonize these people by saying that they are "slaughtering" with inhumane efforts.

As for animals being able to live a decent healthy life, roam around freely, socialize and all the other wonderful things...I agree. It makes for better tasting meat.

[edit on 25-6-2009 by DrChuck]

[edit on 25-6-2009 by DrChuck]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Excellent points on the incredibly inhumane treatment of animals we normally eat and the hypocrisy of crying over the Dolphin slaughter though I will still be horrified by it if its ok with you at the same time as I take your words to heart ....in fact when I extend my horror to the plight of our "normal" food animals it may inspire me to take it to the next level - I'm already almost there as I don't eat red meat anymore - still do poultry but not with enthusiasm...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
people seem to judge the value of life on the size of the creature, this has been their way for a long time, it is not a commercial venture, it is for food, i think that they could give it a rest for a bit as the whales are not as plentiful as they were when this tradition begun, but it is not for us to judge, i am a vegetarian

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join