It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the European Union is so quiet about this ? Warning: GRAPHIC

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
first of i am from denmark.

haven't looked the whole thread, yet,
remember this is from the Faroe Islands, not from Denmark itself, but from the Faroes. yes it's related or how should i put it to denmark, we help them out in different things, but that doesn't mean all of denmark or "denmark is doing it". They are doing it in The Faroe Islands.

Cow and veal slaughter also happens in some states of the us or germany, but that doesn't mean the whole country is doing it, labelling a whole country for doing something when it's only a part of the country/not even the country in question is kinda off i think.

Denmark isn't like that, at all.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by makkerskilap]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
My opinion on this is simple. If the animal is endangered then this should not be happening. If there are hundred and thousands of these whales, then whats the difference? Man has always been a hunter. Thats the way nature intended us to be. Same as Lions, Tigers and Eagles and other animals. even Chimps are known to hunt and eat meat. This makes me laugh when I hear about vegetarian homo sapiens. Open your mouth vegetarians and have a look at your own set of teeth. Half of the teeth in your mouth are designed, well, for eating meat. Only the ones at the back are best for mashing up vegetables. Its in our nature to eat meat, like it or not. Being a vegan in my opinion is not natural at all. NO matter how much you say it is, its not. Even your stomach contains emzimes that are designed to help digest flesh. Its what we are. Get over it all ready.
Mind you I am disgusted when i see mass slaughter of these endangered animals. Some times we need to cut back on hunting those animals that are not doing well usually because of hunting and other human influences.
And you cannot compare hunting and eating whales with cows, pigs and chickens. These animals are domesticated, and bred, raised and slaughtered by humans for human consumption. They are not running wild in small limited populations being slaughtered by us. It chalk and cheese. If you can find a way to farm whales then this will solve a lot of problems with those countries that have been hunting whales for centuries. If whales were farmed then this argument would never happen. We farm fish in the sea, we farm shrimp and other sea food. We farm pigs, cows, chickens, camels, crocodiles, goats and numerous other animals for consumption.
If you cant tell the difference between this and the slaughter of wild endangered animals then I think you need to open your eyes a bit more then you have in the past.

Just for the record, I am a meat eater. And as any nutritionalist well tell you, meat is part of a healthy balanced diet. I have never heard them ever say that a vegan diet if good for you.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure Dr Mengele had a very convincing rationale about what he was doing.

That's one "good" thing about being rational. Ideas were invented to justify all kind of crimes. It all comes to algebraic calculation. Yes, these things are bad, but in the end, the number of people who profit is greater than the number of those who suffer.

God bless mathematics!

Herman Melville wrote a book in which everything is pretty well explained.

Life is a blind passion thing. It kills in order to destroy itself.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
While I do think it’s terrible, I have no idea why the European Union is
mentioned or in the title, obviously people need to do a bit more research.

The Faroe Islands are an autonomous province of Denmark. But as explicitly asserted by both Rome treaties, the Faroe Islands are NOT part of the European Union.

Mikey

[edit on 24/6/2009 by Mikey84]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by GoodFella

Its funny you mentioned that, I have been pondering about changing to vegetarian for a while now, and this just hit home for me- I am not ever eating meat again or chicken! And that is a promise... but is it ok to eat fish seeing its not a mamal? I mean dolphins eat fish too.. that must sound soooo ridiculous

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
this is [*SNIP*] up
can we round them up and beat them with clubs and meat hooks
sad little people trying to show how hard they are
cannot believe this goes on
i wanna do something about this

SHOCKED

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/24/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

NORWEGIAN whalers have suspended their hunt mid-season this year with less than half the quota of 885 whales killed because demand is saturated, a fisheries organisation said on Wednesday.

Environmentalists said the decision was proof of consumers' lack of interest for whale meat, though industry officials said it was due to capacity problems at processing plants on land.

Whales have been protected by a moratorium on whale-hunting since 1986, but Norway does not abide by the ban.

"The number of whales killed so far is enough to meet the known demand,'' Willy Godtliebsen, the head of sales at the Norwegian Fishermen's Sales Organisation, said.

www.news.com.au...

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/24/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
When you add up all the things we do that are similar to this, is there any wonder you find the youth growing up looking to the skies for salvation, and many times, claiming they are from another planet. I guess it's better seperating your mind from this place and believing you're actually from another place, that these people, these faces are not your kin. Perhaps it's time for the peaceful to start standing up, iron wrapped in cottonwool.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

There's nothing wrong with eating meat, in fact your body needs it on occassion. It's not eating meat thats wrong, it's the way we're killing these animals. There are tribes around the world that after killing an animal they thank the animal for it's life, they thank life for the animal and apologise for having to take it's life, but ask blessing for it in the light of the betterment of life towards it's destination. That is what we have lost, these people would kill anything, and I bet 60% of these people aren't going to eat that meat.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I used to work in gran canaria where a lot of Scandinavians go on holiday. I spent an evening talking to one couple in their early 60's and the wife was telling me how a man visits them every month supplying their whale meat "needs".
She didnt exactly say it is a black market, more that it's a normal occurrence and has been going on for as long as she can remember. They did live just inside the Arctic circle and although they are not exactly cut off from civilisation they aren't really "on the radar" either so this goes on without hindrance.
She said every few months she loads her freezer up and was describing the taste to me when i had to stop her as the whole mental image was repulsing me.

I can't say whether it is right or wrong because i can see both sides of the argument but it isnt something i agree with. I don't think you can compare "carnivorous humans" with the mass murdering danes who do this to the whales because the livestock we eat are raised with the specific purpose of being turned into food products. They are most definetely not endangered species.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I don't agree with the theme of the thread in the least.

It's as if to say, ULTRA slaughters of certain species are NOT okay if done in public, but behind closed, as long as my conscience doesn't have to be involved, then "have at 'er" as long as I say that specific type of "flesh" is acceptable.

Give me a break. You think that video was disturbing??? It's absolutely nothing compared to the factory slaughter that goes on all over.

There's a jaded view between what is "right" or "wrong" and it makes no sense. Where do we think we got this view? Just because we grow up believing certain animals are literally meant to be slaughtered for our food sake, doesn't mean anything. What? They roam "free range" until the day we cull them? Well, aren't we special for "allowing" that.

Regardless of what anyone thinks, the virtues of the slaughter house are not even remotely "civil". As a matter of fact, they scream of opposite connotations.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
How about if Denmark started whining about how eating bean curd was cruel? I mean that is a big reason for deforestation is it not? So the S.Americans can groy soy to sell to liberal Americans who just complain about god damn everything while munching on their "free trade" tofu burgers. Shut the hell up already. Keep your opinions to yourself and stop telling the rest of the world how to run their lives. If half of you spend half of that energy trying to sort your own crap country out you wouldn't be the joke the rest of the world thinks you are. Bunch of small minded cutrain twitchers.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
And also for the record, in no way shape or form are there nutrients we require that can only be found in certain animal meats and fats. This is a very important fact. Indeed, a narrow diet of common veggies is not enough to provide the complete list of nutrients we require however; an extremely wide range of food choices exist to vegetarians.

Every other legume aside, the unlimited variety of beans available to us is more then enough to fulfill our entire protein requirements. Flax oil and other oils derived from nuts are literally the most healthy fats available and provide EVERYTHING we require in that department.

The options are there, the quantities are right for us, we just need to become aware of all of our food choices.... Or we can not think about it at all and proceed as per usual.

So as much as we may like to believe we need animal proteins in some quantities for optimal health, in no way shape or form is that correct.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoodFella
IMO if you eat meat of any kind you have no right to protest agains this.
Why is it ok to slaughter cows, chickens, pigs etc., but not whales?

By eating meat you are supportive of animal slaughter (and i say this as a meat eater).

I agree here. I don't condone killing of animals at all unless you are doing it for food.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by dooglemire

This is the only post that has done any checking, 0.1% of whales are killed, that to me would seem very sustainable fishing.

Also because of the location the Islanders can't grow many crops so need to eat meat, they couldn't survive as vegetarians if they wanted to. and don't say they could import all the veg required as that would be bad for the environment.

And the Op said in one of their posts that he/she only eats meat that is allowed to live free on the land, well these whales do as well.

People in different countries eat different things, just because we don't eat that particular animal doesn't make it wrong for them to. but as so many have said if you eat animals in any form then you have no right to complain

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
First ATS post for me:

I contacted a former resident of the Faroe Islands about this, and her response is posted below. Also, the Faroe Islands maintains an official Web site regarding this issue, which is www.whaling.fo/. Altogether, this seems as benign as any organized effort to hunt or slaughter for food.

Faroe Islands are not an EU country and the whaling isn’t a cultural ‘ritual’ per se, although it is a very distinct part of the culture. It’s hunting, like any other kind, but when the prey is a school of 10–50, 5–7m long animals and they’re in the water, it will look quite brutal.
The reason for the whaling? Simple: food. Whale meat (and flubber for some) is a favorite food for most faroese people. While this addition to food supplies is not necessary today, given importing and storage options, less than a century ago, it was.
The whaling is not a rite of passage, although to a young man joining a whale hunt for the first time, it may feel like it.
Pilot whales are one of the races that are not endangered and the whaling in the Faroe Islands is not industrialized (as you probably gathered from the images) and only happens when a school of whales are spotted in the fjords – using contact lists that boat-owners share, people are alerted and those that can, will take to their boats to go hunting.
There’s been a lot of controversy around the whaling in the Faroes (as far back as I can remember), however, to me it is simply a hunt for food – admittedly it looks very brutal, but thinking about it, I’m not sure how else you would hunt and kill an animal of that size without industrial ‘weapons’.
At the end of the day, the food that comes from that hunt is a very welcomed addition to the freezers of all the families of the men involved – and sometimes there’s even enough to be sold via the local supermarkets to those that don’t participate in the hunt.
I can appreciate people being against Faroese whale hunting – assuming they’re equally against other hunts for food (duck, deer, rabbit, fish, etc.)

[edit on 24-6-2009 by df wallace]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by bonsaisert
It would be a different story if aliens came down and massacred 1000's of us and said "this is just what we do, don't be ignorant!"

I'm in favour eating meat and therefore animals need to die for that to happen....but to kill that many JUST BECUASE they did it the year before?? This is mass madness!

If those same aliens are starving to death, I wouldn't blame them.

Even though the smarter thing to do would "steal" our food supply...

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mortalengine
reply to post by jinx880101

There's nothing wrong with eating meat, in fact your body needs it on occassion. It's not eating meat thats wrong, it's the way we're killing these animals. There are tribes around the world that after killing an animal they thank the animal for it's life, they thank life for the animal and apologise for having to take it's life, but ask blessing for it in the light of the betterment of life towards it's destination. That is what we have lost, these people would kill anything, and I bet 60% of these people aren't going to eat that meat.

Anything to make you feel better after killing something...

Next in the world, we are going to have cats, dogs, and monkeys voting for president.

EQUAL ANIMAL RIGHTS!!!!

Some of you disgust me as humans. Wan't to know why?

Because you actually think it matters how we kill something. I got news for you.

Feeding billions of people with meat isn't an easy process...you think all of these farmers have time to treat cows, pigs, etc, with love and respect?

You think these fishermen are out for the love and respect of these whales/dolphins (doesn't matter what they are), after KILLING them?

The world needs to toughen up. Needs to MAN up (uh oh - here come the PC police). Just like our government, the world is filling up with people who aren't trying to do the right thing, but trying to put a mask over everything.

I GOT NEWS FOR ALL OF YOU MEAT EATERS WHO ARE AGAINST THIS SLAUGHTER!!! Why don't you just eat Kobe beef the rest of your life? Those cows are treated like kings...but lets hope your wallet can afford it.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
For all the stupid and mindless Americans posting in this thread equating what these people do to these whales vs. what we do to chickens, pigs, beef or KFC YOU HAVE A F'IN CHOICE PEOPLE!

I DO NOT EAT KFC! I DO NOT EAT VEAL!

ALL MY MEAT IS FROM HUMANELY SLAUGHTERED ANIMALS! There are LOTS of grocery stores such as Whole Foods and others who carry beef, chicken, pork products that are slaughtered in a humane fashion.

Cows, pigs, and chickens are not Whales. There are millions of them and we can breed millions more. In fact that is what they are bred for FOOD! If these idiots want to create a pond in the ocean and farm raise these whales for slaughter that's different. This is akin to exactly the same thing as clubbing baby seals. It's pathetic.

Here's the funny thing too...........these people use this practice as an excuse for "tradition" or a coming of age ceremony that goes back hundreds of years. They do that because there is no argument in doing it for food or to feed the people. They can fish, raise animals, and import food like normal people who live on islands. I guess it would be ok for people living on the Galapagos to start slaughtering tons of sea turtles for food?

And the Indians did what they did hundreds of years ago. It was a different time. They lived in f'ing teepees. These people are living in houses and wearing North Face fleece jackets! Gimme a break!

Nice response by a poster on here...........a real man kills something that is willing and able to kill him back. LOL. I love that response.
I think these islanders are cowards. Killing a dolphin makes you a man? Why not try killing a great white f'ing losers!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
And the American Indians were called "savages". They killed only what they could eat and left nature unspoiled.
European culture can learn alot from their example..Oops no their enslaved, dishonored and have lost their culture.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join