It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the European Union is so quiet about this ? Warning: GRAPHIC

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by GoodFella

This is more or less what i was going to say..hippocracy at it's best.

How many of the 'Ohhh, it's terrible!' crowd eat meat i wonder?

If you think this is bad at only once a year, take a trip down to your nearest slaughterhouse...it's really shake you up...180 whales? Try millions and millions of chickens, turkeys, pigs, sheep, cows, (probably more than one human has gone into the sausages!) etc etc.

If the populations of the whales that are being 'fished' and slaughtered are sufficient to support 200 or so being rounded up a year, then as barbaric as it may seem...it's basically hunting for food.

You are doing NOTHING different when you go down to your local supermarket and buy your nice sterile, packaged and sanetised lump of meat for dinner.

You may feel different however, if you have to slaughter the animal youself though...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

But that doesn't make any sense.

The plants that are grown absorb co2 as they grow, and is released when consumed...so all plants are carbon neutral.

Even the cows that fart all day long, are effectively carbon neural too...the grass grows, taking in co2, the cow eats the grass and releases co2 (C. neutral) it's only where the farmers are cutting down thousands of acres of forest around the world for animal grazing, that makes cows carbon positive, by taking away the co2 'sponges' in the form of trees.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by awdbawl

Yes, Europeans smell of wee-wee and Americans are super. Good point, well made.
It takes the same amount of energy to power a sperm-whale as it does a US citizen.
If you're not to busy guzzling-gas why not shoot some pandas? You guys ratified Kyoto yet? Noticed the pre/post election compromises Obama has made on carbon trading?
How many "environmentally friendly" cars your folks driving anyway?
Presumably you'd also argue Hitler did more for the state of Isreal than anyone else.
Anyway, before we get into a long argument about who's turning the world into a giant toilet slowest ....

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Sadly not. Carbon neutrality or otherwise is talking about concentrations in the atmosphere not the biosphere. Plants remove it from the atmosphere.
First: chop (preferably burn) down all the vegetation and replace it with a relatively poor carbon store (grass). Convert this grass into methane and release it into the atmosphere (cows are good for this). Presto! Global warming.
If, somehow, we could think of a way of reducing the productivity of arable land we'd have a really sweet environmental double-whammy going on. Burger anyone? Meantime, I've just got to get my rifle to deal with that nasty panda infestation.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by scoopyjon
Are these dolphins stranded and the people instead of helping them are killing them

They are purposely herded onto the beach where they are clubbed to death.

It's a "tradition".........which makes it perfectly acceptable!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
sorry, bit of a mis post... kind of

[edit on 25-6-2009 by and14263]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Ummmm, pilot whales, like killer whales are part of the oceanic dolphin family. Who is ignorant?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
These animals probably don't suffer any more than those that are killed by having their throats cut while still alive and fully conscious in order to satisfy the dietary customs of Judaism and Islam. Before protesting about what these Pharoese are doing perhaps you should all look closer to home at your local kosher and halal meat markets. (And I wish you luck.)

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Pessimist

Have you watched HOME by any chance?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodFella

Because the whale is as smart as you are I and has to think about what's happening to it and a Chicken can live without a head... the Dolphin or Whale suffers inordinately more.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Pessimist

It is ridiculous to compare a cow to a Dolphin. A cow by comparison is a barely conscious animal. I just watched a cow walk off a cliff yesterday, strolled along and just fell to it's death for no reason, not...compelled by some unknown sense gone awry... just too stupid to look where it was going.

Killing cows is nothing like killing Dolphins.

People shouldn't use a good constructive thread on saving Dolphins as a sounding board for there own obsessive eating issues

This is a thread on Dolphins not being Vegan

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
These pictures have brought a sad tear to my eye. With that being said, I totally understand where these people are coming from. The fact is, there are a lot more slaughterfests in places like North America, UK and all the rich countries. I have seen people go to places like McDonalds, order a lot of food and throw half of it out.

If the country needs these dolphins to survive, then I say slaughter a little.
Since Denmark is a higher then average European nation I honestly think it is very wrong.

I hate speaking about these things because being a meat eater would mean I am a hypocrite.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoodFella
IMO if you eat meat of any kind you have no right to protest agains this.
Why is it ok to slaughter cows, chickens, pigs etc., but not whales?

By eating meat you are supportive of animal slaughter (and i say this as a meat eater).

Yeah I eat meat plenty of it but this isn't a slaughter of cows, its a slaughter of dolphins. What your going to say youd eat FLIPPER?

For shame..
They need to be taken out and whipped.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm from Denmark, and I, while generaly well informed of my surroundings, have never heard of this before. It has to be noted though, that the Farao Islands have virtually NOTHING to do with Denmark, their customs, traditions, and lifestyle (and cuissine, it's disgusting!), is as far removed from the Danish counterparts, as say, Hawaii traditions as opposed to Alaskan, even though they are part of the same nation.

my 2 cents, and a heart-felt defence of my country, we might be a little off at times, but that just isn't Danish

EDIT: spelling.
EDIT nr.2: It should be noted as well, that the Faroe Islands have been nearly autonomous since the late 40's, now only sharing Danish legislation on areas such as foreign affairs and law (or not it seems...).

[edit on 25-6-2009 by IthinkIbelieve]

[edit on 25-6-2009 by IthinkIbelieve]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Now that is messed up, they should feel ashamed.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by IthinkIbelieve

Don't bother, most people ignore things in the thread... that has been mentioned a dozen times, that the Faroe Islands are not part of Denmark...

But it doesn't matter... people still make the mistake.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
OP! Ignorance is bliss, Pls stick to Discussing fuzzy things like U.F.O.s
cuz u clearly got no clue on danish relations, is it that hard to check your facts before posting completly wrong statements, sent from second hand?

As a danish citizen and native myself,I could start to educate you,
but you are hardly worth spending my keyboards batteries on.
Other better informed posters already pointed out the right facts.

Though im not at all surprised that a supposed Greek native would be so
incredible ignorant, on the inhabitants of his own continent, as greece
who once had the brightest minds, now is a nation struggeling to climb out of the Dark ages.

Now on the subject of mistreating animals, the "modern" greek is no stranger
to being cruel and downright sadistic when it comes to animals.

lists.envirolink.org...

www.greekanimalrescue.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.thepetitionsite.com...

and i could go on, i guess my point is dont throw stones if you live in a glass house!!! i have nothing against greeks, i just hate how they treat animals FOR FUN!!! no eating involved here.just pure lust for suffering.i hope taht it makes you proud of being Greek.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Emiiiiiil]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Seems i can even stick to the original subject.
Hmm stapped to death or slowly drowning in a fishermans net?
What does the OP prefer himself?

news.stv.tv...

in case somone should point out that dogs and cats are inferiour to dolphins!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Emiiiiiil

Dear Emiiiiiil,

Thank you for your reply and participation.
I mean that honestly and without any irony at all.

You should have read the second post in the thread where i state that i do not have anything against the Danes. In fact i like them.

I feel you are somewhat unfair to Greece or at least my self as i might have been to you. I can see how you might have gotten angry and probably have taken the matter as a personal insult. I do not blame you.

You should know that ATS is place of sharing your knowledge and getting it expanded by the contribution of others. As such there are certain things that i learned through the process.

However there is no excuse for the barbarity commenced periodically in the Faroe Islands.

Let me expand a bit.

On your first supplied link you quote an article where the cats and dogs of Athens are the subject of elimination. That action is something i opposed myself, given it was most probably done not according to best practice. I do not know the extend of that action.
However i should add that the areas of interest were only the ones directly adjacent to tourist accommodation and sport events. My info is that there not that many animals exterminated as suggested. Moreover there was a huge number of these animals that was only temporarily taken away to temporary camps of the state and other non profit organisations where they were fed, examined by vets and taken care off to the extend possible while most were rendered sterile. My info is that most of these animals were returned to their initial environment due to lack of sustainability in properly taking care of them. So although we are on the same side on this sharing the same passion as i persume things are not as bad as suggested.

Your second link quotes the Greek animal rescue. It states stories of atrocities committed to animals. They are becoming exclusions everyday past and are not the rule or typical reality. Stating that i should note that Greece may still have some way to go as its standards regarding pets are not as high as that of most other more developed countries. Key word there was most. There are some more developed countries that are just as bad if not worst. The infrastructure in Greece is not as high as in Scandinavia, Germany, France or GB. That is not an excuse and work is done by gentle people seeking no profit. Moreover there is a big number of countries that are much worse and certainly are examples to avoid.

If you feel that my credibility on the above is hindered consider the following fact:

I myself am an activist for animals and environmental issues. I will not go wide on this besides of my being an active member of one of the most successful Animal Rescue Organisations in Greece. My status goes beyond that of being a simple member but rather belonging to the administration to begin with. Note that its is not a profit organisation and all the expenditure comes from volunteers, vets and various bazaars to help the animals.

The above gives me exclusive information on various matters.

For example it was concluded that a big number of animals was exported by other "so called" animal rescues that were sinister in operation seeking profit. They were not Greek or administrated by Greeks, nor were they based in Greece. Its a vast network of corruption based on money and certainly there are/were some Greek people involved. These so called animal rescues make vasts profits by selling the "saved/rescued" animals to companies in the DEVELOPED COUNTRIES for experimental reasons. The interested parties are big pharmaceutical and cosmetic companies. So please spare me your superiority and open your eyes. The Greek greatness is still there for its better part. Whatever the case i would suggest you watching HOME and try to think beyond boundaries. I have linked to that excellent piece in an earlier post of mine.

Your third link leading to a YouTube video is a sad story that came to be known around Greece and caused the outrage of every Greek person. Its a true story, but again it is not representative.
There is a rumor that the man behind this had his daughter attacked by these animals. If that is true i guess there is a big chance you acted so yourself amidst your anger and rage. Just picture it.

Your last link quotes hunting beyond the hunting period or hunting protected species of birds.
Well, let me tell you that this is equally a problem in each and every country. Most at best. Greece when considering Europe is one of the worst examples. This is not due to lack of legislation but rather due to lack of law enforcement.

The above gives me grounds to remind you that there is no legislation altogether on the matter covered by this thread.
The thread has confirmed that rather than showing protective legislation.
Moreover the thread has proved that human greed and ignorance is not worthy of being legislation free.

...and i could go on, i guess my point is don't throw stones if you live in a glass house!!! i have nothing against Greeks

My friend, i will repeat myself: I have nothing against you.
I could go on but that would be beyond the scope of this thread. Its not personal. As i said, try to think beyond human or country boundaries. We all live in a glass house so quit throwing stones yourself.

To conclude, it feels foul effectively defending a status by the kind of attack you did.

If i shared the same foul mentality i could just state that since this situation in the Faroe Islands is a outdated bad practice fact we might just as well go on with our current status of malpractices, thus saving myself the batteries of my keyboard on a short empty reply.
My resolution as stated in the beginning is that after all we are on the same side. PEACE !!!

I have taken further action by contacting the European Ombudsman and releasing all the necessary information to him, including this thread. I am at the process of awaiting a reply on the forthcomings on the situation.

Farewell
George TG

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Emiiiiiil

Its a sad story indeed.
I do not have further details on th common dolphin situation... unfortunatelly...

Do you want my oppimion?

There should be strict fines on Greece opposing the extermination of this or any species. I mean VERY STRICT. Moreover i think strict inspction on such current affairs should also be commenced from other nations.

This is not exclusive but rather inclusive to the rest of the countries on such matters. Do not be misled that Greece is worst or worse than any other country, except if you want to be a pupped in a theatre.

In every case it is not allowable to lead any species to extinction by greed or carefulness. Money should not be a problem since its only a subjective measure. The facts of this thread are objective so all be carefull.

PEACE

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join