It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Press Warns of Global Censorship Technology Deployed in U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Free Press Warns of Global Censorship Technology Deployed in U.S.

www.freepress.net

According to the Wall Street Journal, Iran and China are likely using Deep Packet Inspection technology to monitor and control the Internet.
This spring, a Free Press report, Deep Packet Inspection: The End of the Internet as We Know It?, argued that DPI technology poses a major threat to the open Internet, giving network providers unprecedented power over Internet users. The use of DPI by U.S. companies like Comcast and Cox has already sparked widespread concern about abuses of Net Neutrality and online privacy.
The Wall Street Journal reports that the Iranian government appears to be usi
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theepochtimes.com
uk.reuters.com

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Something’s up and it doesn’t smell good! We are granted the highest level of First Amendment protection to the Internet but for how long?

They’ve tried to restrict it in the past and was shot down by the Supreme Court. Despite the Supreme Court's ruling the States are busy creating censorship laws at home.

At least 13 States have passed legislation, in the last 12 years. New Mexico has already passed a draconian censorship law, and bills are pending in 10 other states.

I think they would love to cut off all internet communication throughout our Countries. Why is this? I doubt it will only stick to communist countries. Europe is Under Internet Censorship Threat.

The Chinese have been punished for typing words like freedom and got a pop up warning that it is profanity!!

It’s coming o the US too. The government may take action against Internet sites ANYWHERE in the world, if they host objectionable material. Objectionable? Anything could fit in that category!

12 countries in 2009: The PERVASIVE List; almost systematic repression of Internet users
Burma
China
Cuba
Egypt
Iran
North Korea
Saudi Arabia
Syria
Tunisia
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan
Vietnam

The SUBSTANTIAL List; in the following Countries have blocked Christian sites, The blocking also currently includes nearly all known proxy sites, including the Google Translate tool, freecopts.net, are also blocked. People trying to access these sites are redirected to anonymous.com.bh.

South Korea
Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates
Yemen

NOMINAL list; This means the regulator ACMA can order local sites that don’t comply be taken down, and overseas sites have been added to a blacklist. These sites are filtering several websites on DNS level since April 2009.
Australia
Belgium
Canada
Chile
Czech Republic
Fiji
Denmark
Finland
France
Ireland
India
Israel
Jordon
Mexico
Morocco
Netherlands
Norway
Pakistan
Poland
Russia
Singapore
Sweden
Thailand
Turkey

United Kingdom; The United Kingdom is in ONI's watch list

United States; The Department of Defense filters certain IP addresses. The US military's filtering policy is laid out in a report to congress entitled Department of Defense Personnel Access to the Internet

Google may temporarily or permanently remove some sites from its search results if it believes it is obligated to do so by law, if they dont meet Google's quality guidelines, or for OTHER reasons.

Yahoo!’s terms of service state that they reserve the right to refuse or remove anything that they feel violates the terms of service or deem distasteful.

U.S. criticizes China on Web limits

www.hollywoodreporter.com...

US net nanny ratchets Chinese censorware spat

www.theregister.co.uk...

Internet boycott calls to mark China filter debut

uk.reuters.com...

Surveillance and Censorship Threaten Internet Freedom

www.theepochtimes.com...

Now we are faced with fighting the government on keeping our First amendment right.

www.freepress.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
OOps, double post. Sorry, I'm a space Invader.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
hey maybe iran was a test to see how:

dissent flows through the a country/groups

how information passes in crisis

how to control said information

what tactics are best at confusing said dissenters/organizers

and how secretly that can keep it all from other countries populaces.

i really think that the people of iran screwed up the nwo plans for the future, but uk is figuring out how to use this to get us into war with them anyways.

i mean freaking come on. why are all the politicians back-peddling on how they dont want to upset ahmadinejad (wow i spelled it right the first time !!!), when just a few months ago they were condemning him???!!!

now they dont want to take the wrong side. the people of that country want him out, and now we want him in??

seems like he was supposed to do something dumb to israel, and we were supposed to jump on it, but now those plans are screwed.

anyone else see this?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

I see this. I figure they will bomb Israel soon. It's totally insane. They now want to be email buddies. What's up with that? He is a danger to all of us!

Maybe he likes Obama and think he is Muslim and is their new Savior. A guy like that wouldnt accept a Savior if he was slapped in the face by one.

I figure the UN, has plans. Since he isnt invited to any G20 meetigs maybe they'll come up with something.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Can't have a moderate sane person in Iran or it will mean the plan needs to be re-done. They have spent so much time building up for this crisis they can't afford for the people of Iran to throw a wrench in the works.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

I see what their frustration is in Iran. It appears they will stop at nothing to continue on with their sinister plan. Good point!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Our forefathers had ZERO tolerance for this type of Bull% it.

Tolerance was the campaign of the 90's and the new millennium launched by the Government to get us and our Children to put up with ANYTHING....
and it's working.

I even had a more harsh response to this that I decided to remove...afraid of being flagged by TPTB....now how sad is that?

Your days of fun and glory are over people, you had your fun..played your game, bought your cars and xboxes.

Some of you have even watched your children get sucked into the downward spiral.

Well now it's down to what you are willing to do to make a change for the better.

It is up to YOU, you're children will be too far into bondage by the time they are old enough to make a difference.

This is the last chance for America.......we have precious months left...

PLEASE remember this - America is under attack by it's illegal government.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by manbird12000

I'd like to rattle a few forefathers from their graves to see this. You are right they be flipping in their graves at such BS.

I also agree about the TPTB. I recently read the Bilderberger documents. They are only watching their own @$$'s.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
These lists are fascinating because they speak louder than millions of propaganda-statements, world-events, conspiracy-theories on which country is truly serious about FREEDOM and which is not.

Kudos to all the countries that appear nowhere near the lists.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Thanks Sky!

I hope the other countries arent on the black list?

Maybe I'll check that out. Let's hope not.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I forgot to mention these 2 sites.

Australia one of the strictest Internet regulators among democratic countries. ... People are people where ever they may live.

Study: 25 countries block websites

www.usatoday.com...

Australian Internet 'blacklist' prompts concern

news.smh.com.au...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Great post S&F.

I am trying to soak up as much knowledge from the internet as I can. And guess what....I am addicted! I will be furious if/when the restrictions begin.

The internet is the truest representation of free speech ever. I think/hope people in the US would fight hard to keep the internet as open and free as it is today.

Long live the free and open internet!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High
Great post S&F.

I am trying to soak up as much knowledge from the internet as I can. And guess what....I am addicted! I will be furious if/when the restrictions begin.

The internet is the truest representation of free speech ever. I think/hope people in the US would fight hard to keep the internet as open and free as it is today.

Long live the free and open internet!

You arent alone. We are all hooked! It's my theory that we are all mystery junkies. We all love to search for answers and most we can not solve but it's great fun trying.

Thanks for the S&F!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
While I am always concerned with government intrusion, this is probably the least of my worries.

It may seem odd since this is a great bastion of free speech and information, but my generation and those that follow will be faster, smarter, and more resourceful than TPTB since it takes an individual to strip off what many government workers spend long hours putting in place.

If this becomes a problem, a solution will be ready to be implemented by savvy and anti-authoritarian coders 2-3 days later, if that. Unless they cut off the net or large swaths of it, I remain less concerned than most other areas about this.

Note to Government and it's dirty little monkeys: You are not my friend or looking out for me. I refute your claim to the right to invest yourself in my life and protect me from the boogie man, self-made or not.

Proceed at your own peril and kiss my.... well, you know.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

Internet was created for and only used by Federal and State employees. It's gotten out of control for them, since the are, after all CONTROL fanatics.

I expect the internet to go back to government use. It sounds crazy but day by day we see the restrictions being enforced.

Soon any anti government blogger will be considered a terrorist. Have you noticed all of the pieces are fitting together, at such a rapid pace?

[edit on 23-6-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
Internet was created for and only used by Federal and State employees. It's gotten out of control for them, since the are, after all CONTROL fanatics.

I expect the internet to go back to government use. It sounds crazy but day by day we see the restrictions being enforced.

Soon any anti government blogger will be considered a terrorist. Have you noticed all of the pieces are fitting together, at such a rapid pace?

Things will get better or worse almost regardless of what any one person does, barring those with a mouthpiece or those with nice code skills.

I am not talking about bloggers, or citizens, or any average joe. Many discount the abilities of the younger generations as vapid and poorly educated when in reality many of us are self-educated in computers, software, hardware, etc.

Hackers are many and those that create viruses, email bomb, and loads of other electronic tomfoolery, would attack the source of any internet noose-tightening in a moments notice.

Add to that the sheer number of weapons we own privately and I think the government would have a harder time than we pretend, especially when you consider how generally stupid they are in national coordination.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

Yes technology has taken off so fast we cant keep up with it. The internet was never intended to be like it is, until windows came along.

This is a huge threat for our governments, including communist Countries.

They will put a ban on internet use. Maybe only for ebay, bill pay and online shopping. I think the Freedom part may soon be restricted.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
From day one people have been trying to do two things with the internet: censor it and make it profitable. The two actually go hand in hand to some extent.

The UK has censored sites for years. I tried to access David Shayler's site (and that phrase means this post will end up on Echelon, hi guys, wasting our money) in c, 2000 and could not from within the UK.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by rich23

The end of the Internet as we know it?

www.freepress.net...

Dont you guys get really ticked off at all your Censorship and surveillance?

Maybe it simply becomes the Norm, slowly programming us all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join