It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: DHS to end use of satellites for domestic spying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Report: DHS to end use of satellites for domestic spying

rawstory.com

Department of Homeland Security Chief Janet Napolitano plans to end domestic law enforcement’s access to spy satellites, a government source told the Associated Press on Monday night.

Funding for the program, announced by the Bush administration in 2007, was included in President Barack Obama’s 2010 budget.

"Napolitano recently reached her decision after the program was discussed with law enforcement officials , and she was told it was not an urgent issue, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about it," the wire service report
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I don't believe this for one second. I'll believe it when I see it. If this is true great, but, if you actually believe what these lying criminals say... you can walk off a bridge.

I think that this is a good step (if true)... but I don't really have faith in the government. Until something happens- this is just talk, and, she probably won't be able to shut it down.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well well, I wonder how much truth there is behind this story. I mean, I am an optimist, or attempt to be at all times, but when it comes to the DHS and spying....I'm a little indifferent.

If they actually go through with it, and deny them access, wonderful. A step in the right direction. However, If they say they are, and then people still gain access and use them under some weird clause, then we are back to square one.

I'll have to follow this one closely. And I think Pelosi needs much more than an apology in order to fix her wrongdoings.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Clearly, they've discovered a more efficient manner in which to spy on us. By declaring the end of one program, it merely means a more nefarious plan is beginning.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It is also possible that the entire matter will be decreed classified by Executive Order (Presidential Authority) and thus all references to the matter will be hidden from public oversight from now on.

They will bundle the cost into National Security status and make it into another 'Black Op" that will free them from accountability - yet again.

Or..., maybe they are all weary of the negative way this reflects upon them.... but I doubt it... all indications are they don't give a rat's ass what we (the people) think.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Now, let's take this at face-value. I never heard of the government using satellites to do domestic-spying. I always assumed they just had warantless wiretappings to do everything. It begs the question what else did they do, and, why did we not hear about their satellite domestic spying programs when Bush was in office, and why did we not hear about this until now?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
this is just the facade of it

This program was "included in the Obama administration's 2010 budget request", and that it was canceled because "law enforcement" didn't think it was urgent.

It has nothing to do with Obama or the DHS being noble, it's about local law enforcements taking a stand, not the administration!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It's not so much spying it's GPS. I doubt there is an agency big enough to monitor the activites of the entire world. Thats what the GPS is for, to catch you when you mess up.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

That's all well and good.

But my question is... why didn't we hear about it before now? It seems odd that we're only hearing about this now.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

I would disagree with you there.

You have heard about the echelon haven't you?

If NOT: please read this

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Why did TV make the move to digital even though the industry wasn't ready?

This has been going on since WWII. Mostly, we are monitored by being accountable for, ever heard of the IRS? It's a system. It's technology that the SS had and US has today and it's advancing. Yes now they can monitor your phone calls and internet and even spy on you. In the end it's all about being accountable for should you be needed by the PTB for something, they hate having to look very hard.

Have you noticed that all traffic lights are set up on intersections, do you think there are peoplewho view them all? Not unless there is an accident do they review the tapes or if a convenience store gets shorted money. And if you have a warrant it makes you that much easier to find.

new topics

top topics

join