It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If time travel is possible...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
How come nobody in the future has come back in time to us?

The answer is probaly simple but could someone explain it to me.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
because in order to travel in time, one could never go as far back as the time machine was invented.

hence, we havent built on yet

ORRRRrrrr

but it isnt possible to travel through time backwards

ORRRRrr

time travel is just impossible to begin with.

OOORRRRRRRRRrrr

people in the future suck and dont care about us...

OOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRrrrrrrr

nothing bad has happened in the future to need anyone to come back to fix it

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17

Yes it is, at least in terms of being able to see back into the past. In fact the entire field of astronomy is built upon a time travel principle of sorts. We are seeing extremely far back into the past and in fact most of the stars and galaxies we see have long since faded.

Pretty amazing stuff.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Well some people beleive John Titor was a time travellar, so there may have been at least one we know about. However, I don't think that if there were, that too many of them would be speaking up about it.

here's some history:
John Titor is the name used on several bulletin boards during 2000 and 2001 by a poster claiming to be a time traveler from the year 2036. In these posts he made numerous predictions (a number of them vague, some quite specific[1]) about events in the near future, starting with events in 2004. He described a drastically changed future in which the United States had broken into five smaller regions, the environment and infrastructure had been devastated by a nuclear attack, and most other world powers had been destroyed.

To date, the story has been retold on numerous web sites, in a book, and in a play. He has also been discussed occasionally on the radio show Coast to Coast AM.[2] In this respect, the Titor story may be unique in terms of broad appeal from an originally limited medium, an Internet discussion board
Source:
en.wikipedia.org...

some of his posts can be found here...
www.johntitor.com...

Also, there may be different reasons for paople who have time travelled here to be secretive...one being locked up for being crazy, or used as an aexperiment...such as the government goes...you know?

another report of a time traveller, search "what's the frequency, kenneth?" right here on ATS...some interesting stuff there...of course I can't seem to find any proof or disproof of that claim either. Who knows...it is possible...or it isn't. Nobody has any 100 percent proof, but such as goes with anything outrageous claims. Some people will swear that there is proof and some will simply say "Not proof enough". It's the individual who decides. Anyway, hope those items will interest you.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Can't travel something that doesn't exist!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I don't believe that your physical body can travel in time.

First of all your physical body already exists at all points in time. The only thing that seems to move is your mind. And I say seem to move because every single moment consists of your mind trying to make a coherent line of succession of events; these have actually always been happening and will always be happening.

If you think of time as a solid object with length width and height, say like a range of mountains, you could only move on it through a higher dimension. Which means you'd have to build a machine that uses the fifth dimension, or be a five-dimensional being. And who the hell knows what a 5-d being is like, or what their experience of reality is like?

If I'd have to take a guess, I'd say that this being would be aware of all time, all possible timelines in all possible universes. Then they wouldn't have the need to travel in time.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I believe we will find only time dialation is possible.

Which from the point of the observer experiencing the time dialtion - will for all practical purposes be the same as travelling forward in time - just not instantaneous.

If we can find a way to artificially create time dialations on Earth (presumably uncoupled from acceleration - which may not be possible) then we could - say - preserve food for extremely long periods of time - which could be really useful.

If we can one day go near the speed of light - then one could - in theory - spend a few years in space and then come back many years into the Earth's future without substantial aging for themselves.

But as far as travelling back in time - while it appeals greatly to the Human ego - all current evidence (and lack of evidence) points to the impossibility of it.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
maybe they are here, or have been - and were just required not to contaminate our timeline.

IF it's possible one day, I'm sure it wouldn't be like a vending machine where just anyone could go back and do anything they wanted to.

The machines involved would undoubtedly be large and require a VERY large power source, so it's probably only scientests and/or military people doing the "traveling" - They would probably be required to "fiddle with" the past as little as possible to prevent paradoxes and (un)intentionally killing one's own grandpa.

Another possibility could be that they are limited to only observing the past and not allowed (through physics, or policy) to interact with us.

And if they could just come here and run around willy-nilly, doing whatever they pleased, who would beleive them? (I wonder how many people are locked up in the "nuthouse" claiming to be from the future . . . and who are we to say they aren't?)

And who's to say that EVERY lottery winner we know of isn't a time traveler that got the #'s, went back to before the drawing and won it that way? Damn greedy time travelers!

[edit on 6/23/09 by paulthefourth]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
You wouldn't go back to the same exact "time line" that you are already on. Because if in your younger years there was no "you from the future" in that timeline, then to "back in time" and add yourself to a timeline means that it would by default be another timeline.

There would be 2 timelines. 1 in which you grew up where your future self was not included, and 1 where it was.

But time isn't real anyway. You wouldn't be going "back in time", you are really still moving forward in time, but just moving to a dimension that is of another "time". Time is relative.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Maybe they have....but we ridicule people who say things like that.
And maybe they're locked in a mental asylum right now.... just for saying that they're from the future and they're here to warn us or whatever....

Yes....the time-travelers and jesus are locked in a mental hospital right now cos we didn't believe them....

Who knows eh?

[edit on 23/6/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

For a possible example of non-physical time travel, take a look at the events surrounding the assassination of Louisiana Governor Huey Long in 1935.

www.hueylong.com...

In an alternate timeline, with Long gaining more political power, the U.S. preparations for WWII might have been postponed, leading to a loss or stalemate with the Nazis. Maybe.

new topics

top topics

join