It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Brain View's Tools as Temporary Body Parts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Researchers have what they say is the first direct proof of a very old idea: that when we use a tool—even for just a few minutes—it changes the way our brain represents the size of our body. In other words, the tool becomes a part of what is known in psychology as our body schema, according to a report published in the June 23rd issue of Current Biology.

Full Story Here

I always new i had a special connection with my fishing-poll (god, no puns intended
).

Also whenever i have owned a car for more then a week, i feel like i really connect with it while i am driving, like i can tell when a new problem comes up, and i feel the pressure on the tires as i take a hard corner etc.. etc..

now science says i do actually feel that way! sweet!

edited grammar.

[edit on 6/23/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Ah, interesting! I have a semi-romantic connection with my car, maybe this explains why I can "feel" the car like you mentioned in your post. Or not, maybe it's just 'cause I love cars

Surely if the brain temporarily views a tool as a body part then there must be other stuff going on too, do you have anymore links about this?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Now I wonder does that mean that if you are using a tool and break it, there is a psychosomatic reaction of pain?

Ever get that? Your using a hack saw and the blade breaks, do you even for an instant feel pain?

And is this all psychosomatic, or is there a deeper connection going on? After all you do feel the tool in your hand, do you form a more complex integration with the device you are using?

In the above car analogies you two used, is it because you know how the tires should react when taking a turn, or do you have more of a connection with the tires themselves?

[edit on 6/23/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I think it is more utilitarian than that. When you have a tool at your disposal, the brain obviously does such things as accounting for the change in the center of gravity, the newly created asymetrically distributed mass, the change in overall body weight.

If you want to take it a step further, it is known that the human body is sensory capabilities that are VERY subtle to our conscious mind, but our subconscious recieves this sensory input and processes it seamlessly. Being able to distinguish it consciously amounts to "PSI" capability...but that is another discussion. The point is, there are multiple sensory capabilities that are never even really considered by the average person (such as the ability to sense balance and orientation, using geomagnetics or simply just using the fluid in the inner ear).

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

you know, i have had a fishing rod break on me before, while realling in a big ol fish, and when that broke, i did feel a pain shoot up my arm. (for a split second)

however that could have just been my heart breaking

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I certainly agree with that article. I have played guitar for about 25 years now and it is an extension of my body. It's like tying my shoes or trimming my toe nails. (odd example I know)

In any case when I play guitar, I don't think that I am creating the music, I think we are creating the music, the guitar and I in conjuction.

That happens with alot of things, as others mentioned. Mechanics who learn to use tools as second nature and politicians who learn to lie to well. Anything can be considered a tool in this world, and we are adaptable creatures.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I use to drive a front end loader. I'll tell you that after doing it for a few days you don't even think about the controls. Your hands just move with reaction for the way you want the forks to maneuver. Cool article.

top topics

join