It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderators Please Read!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I know the moderators are trolling the forums and have lightning fast reflexes so read fast!

I've been a member for a long while, since 10/03. I know there are many users here who have had longer membership but the point I'm trying to make is I've been around long enough to see a drastic change in how Moderators are handling threads.

When I first joined this board I felt it was a place where I could share information freely and I could be around like minded individuals. It seems as ATS grew so did the staff, naturally.

As of lately I've notice a much stricter staff or they seem to be just plain lazy. Many of my post which were either removed or changed to another forum were given no explanation. Often when I file a complaint/suggestion I either won't get a response back or I get two conflicting stories.

I've had friends banned, very large threads ( 100+ pages) suddenly locked, and given a very vague and brief explination. I mean when a thread goes on for over a year and it's locked suddenly I'd hope there was very good reason for it! The amount of time and effort spent by all the thread members really feels wasted. On top of that we never got straight forward answers, it left many of us disrespected. It seems we never get straight forward answers from the staff anymore.

If your going to censor information, ban people with out good reason at times, be lazy, or can't get your story straight then in my opinion your not "Part of the Best Staff on the Internet" your a cheap rip off. I don't really care If I'm breaking a T&C by posting this, it needs to said. Piss enough of your loyal members off and you'll be left with a hallow shell. We the members make your site and you better start showing us the respect we deserve. So often the staff comes off as arrogant and belittling. I for one am sick of putting up with this none sense and won't put up with your incompetence. It seems "Deny Ignorance" doesn't apply for the many of the staff here on ATS.

- Omega

[edit on 23-6-2009 by oconnection]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by oconnection

A member since 2003 and you noticed this now..?

Shame, shame...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

Funny, I never had issues with the Mods until recently. Maybe I was too busy reading and didn't post enough. It seems lately I've been hitting nothing but brick walls.

This is the latest genius to respond to me, I won't give his name but yea, just another drop in the bucket.

"Dear Member,

The thread that you authored and that was recently moved has been reviewed by the staff. It was decided that the thread did not fit within the guidelines of the Breaking Alternative News Forum.

As you can see by the very title, the forum requires an Alternative slant. Not just a news story.

So while the story you submitted was in fact "Breaking" and it was also "News", it was not in fact "Alternative" in any way."

So it's news and it's breaking but it's not alternative enough to be news worthy? Are you kidding me. The fact that there were so many threads talking about North Korea, many using MSM sources and they were left alone it seems like there's a conspiracy against me. =0

[edit on 23-6-2009 by oconnection]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by oconnection
reply to post by chapter29

Funny, I never had issues with the Mods until recently. Maybe I was too busy reading and didn't post enough. It seems lately I've been hitting nothing but brick walls.

This is the latest genius to respond to me, I won't give his name but yea, just another drop in the bucket.

"Dear Member,

The thread that you authored and that was recently moved has been reviewed by the staff. It was decided that the thread did not fit within the guidelines of the Breaking Alternative News Forum.

As you can see by the very title, the forum requires an Alternative slant. Not just a news story.

So while the story you submitted was in fact "Breaking" and it was also "News", it was not in fact "Alternative" in any way."

So it's news and it's breaking but it's alternative enough to be news worthy? Are you kidding me. The fact that there were so many threads talking about North Korea, many using MSM sources and they were left alone it seems like there's a conspiracy against me. =0

o.k. wait...

That is crap - if it's the real deal...

Cite sources and expose people NOW...if the staff really are denying ignorance, it shouldn't get closed...be left open for discussion.

Put it to the test man...what do you have to lose..? A 6 year membership..?

You weigh it and make the decision...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Good post
I myself have been browsing the site for a while now .only being a member for a short time, I Have been taken back by the mannerism of some moderators in response to posts on threads. A lot of good contributors are gone,maybe they stepped over a line,But the Quality of their threads and the Quality of input from other members they got involved in their topics was impressive.

I agree a lot of work has gone into some of these threads its a shame they get deleted.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The stakes are a lot higher now than when you joined. Speaking freely nowadays will get you sued, imprisoned or get the site shut down permanently a lot faster today than it would in 2003. Especially if you make controversial or libelous claims and can't back them up pursuant to the new fairness doctrine.

I agree with you though, it is a shame to see the more interesting conversations get turned off.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
ATS needs to cycle through moderators more often. I think that's a simple fix.

Fact is, the mods don't get paid (do they?), and as they're doing it on a volunteer basis, not everyone puts in the time and dedication that one would expect for a properly run, well maintained community.

I've never had experience with anything quite as large as ATS, but I've had my share of mods/ops/whatever working for free to better the quality of our community. People are happy to do it for only so long, until they begin to let their focus slip, cut corners, and have next to no interest in doing their job. They won't give up their power voluntarily, for whatever reason. I guess I wouldn't want to either.

But it doesn't hurt anything to bring new moderators online. If they're bad, the problem is easily corrected. There isn't much of a downside to recruiting new mods.

Having something like a renewable term limit of 3, 6, 9, or 12 month span seems to be a good idea to me. That way the moderators can really think about whether or not they want to be here, rather than enforcing the rules half assed because they feel obligated to. You simply serve your time, and request more when it's over, if you feel like that's what you want, and you can handle it.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Perhaps you could have posted here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

or officially file a complaint here:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

I find the mods are very reasonable, and they have a hell of alot to get through. The contecnt on this site is nothing short of huge, and it gets bigger everyday, so they have to reign in T and c's to make it manageable.

A Hand shake and hug to our mods, I think they do a terrific job.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by oconnection

I know what you're saying. I think taking away points peeves off people, it is human nature. I would never take away points from someone who earned it, and I have been a classroom teacher: I know it is venom to kids when you take away points. ATS could handle that differently.

And then, yeah, mods gang up on you like the Mod Squad, and when you challenge them the treat you like you are stupid. And the conflict usually happens because Mods often do not know the difference between hyperbole and off-topic. It is frustrating. So you shut up because arguing with a rude person who is holding all the cards is boring.

Yes, I know what you speak of. Most of the mods are nice and professional, but there are some that are all about the power-trip and being a ridiculing rude person.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Ah a thread already exists if you have issues with the staff, ATS etc and it can be found here:

The ATS Issues Thread

Please feel free to post your comments, questions, or thoughts in the existing thread.

Thanks
FredT, ATS Moderator

top topics

join