It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Matter is sound?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I just had a theory run through my pea sized brain.

What if we find that dark matter is a consentrated blob of sound waves, sub harmonics that stick together after moving through the universe. Bouncing off the planets, perhaps polarizing it in some anomalous fashion. So it eventually like oil in water rises to the top in globs. Thats my recent theory on drak matter, corrections..i know im flawed somewhere.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
It looks like probably not

www.tellmewhyfacts.com...

Can you hear sound in space?
Published Friday, October 26, 2007 by R. Edmondson | E-mail this post
E-mail this post

Remember me (?)

All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Sound can only travel through a medium (solid, liquid or gas) by making their molecules vibrate. This therefore means that sound need any one of the three states of matter (solid, liquid or gas) in order to travel. Space being nearly a perfect vacuum, means sound waves can not travel from its vibrating source through the vacuum to another point in space or to the ear of an individual. In order for one to hear sound it must travel through gas particles which space has very few per cubic centimeter. This is very much less than that in the Earth’s atmosphere. So, can you hear sound in space ? or does sound travel in space? The answer is no, space is silent.[ex/]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Alright then maybe a form of static, some kind of friction, and something anomalous happens inside the matter making it not be reflective or refractive yet occluding of objects?

I mean we dont truly know what takes place inside dark matter do we?

pr.caltech.edu...

By this my theory stands as there is matter inside dark matter, its relativity to something. My guess is first its some form of static or plasma. The sound idea came from a theory that outside space, is static electricity and our universe has cracks which allow this static to seep in. causing a sticky affect on certain elements. They form what we term dark matter?

[edit on 22-6-2009 by mastermind77]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
sound is vibrating molecules to my understanding. such as O2 ect.

we do not understand the universe and sound enough to say not to that question, but i don't think that sound has mass, it is merely a force acting on mass.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by phi1618
sound is vibrating molecules to my understanding. such as O2 ect.

we do not understand the universe and sound enough to say not to that question, but i don't think that sound has mass, it is merely a force acting on mass.

Sound is a travelling wave which is an oscillation of pressure transmitted through a solid, liquid, or gas, composed of frequencies within the range of hearing and of a level sufficiently strong to be heard, or the sensation stimulated in organs of hearing by such vibrations.

So not happening in a vacuum I'm afraid

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
hhehe yes, i was trying to relate it to dark matter by stating sound has no mass. Since dark matter is suppose ot make up a good majority of the mass in the universe.

i may have worded it poorly but i was trying to state that sound and dark matter could not be relaated for this reason.

the vacuum explanation is the other reason

[edit on 23-6-2009 by phi1618]

[edit on 23-6-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Maybe its the "static" you speak of but its the by-product that's released when the universe expands and contracts. Kind of like a charge that's formed when space folds in on itself.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Guys instead of guessing and going ummm let me take a wild guess, just read up on it instead, it's better use of your time. Try starting here:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Sound is just compressed air moving in shockwaves, or shockwaves a liquid. It's not something extra you can say exists like light passing through air.

22% of the universe is dark matter, and only 4% is stars or intergalactic gas. So to say dark matter is comprised of compressed air/liquid travelling through space but has a mass almost 6 times greater than all stars/gas that we can observe is silly. Because we would be able to observe it, or see more effects of it than what we can see of dark matter.

But why not dark matter with pockets of gas/liquid within it, why not be filled with noisy gas
making a sound! Hahahaha that was quite unintentionally funny!

Anyway there's several possible explanations for dark matter in physics, but none proven yet, and they have nothing to do with sound unfortunately

[edit on 23-6-2009 by john124]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
If you don't understand my last post, I'll try and make it simpler for you. Have you got at least high school level education?

top topics

join