It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16yr Old Boy Discovers Microbe that Eats Plastic

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
This kid ain't that cool, I happen to have 2 very similar trophies myself....

anyone wanna start a thread about seattle's most inspired bartender 2007 AND 2009?

Jeshua ? I read that thing in Gq a while back.. very cool .. but...

Not saving any planets lol.. maybe a helping with its populations happiness but.. Apples and Oranges lol

Congrats on getting those though..

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
ahhh, just in time for the GI Joe flick, scrap eating microorganisms.

In my mind, it makes no doubt that classified scientists have already discovered this but it's just too dangerous too handle in the public sector.
Imagine loosing control of such a bacteria1

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

So he actually didn't "discover" it, he just annouced the reason for there being one which I'm pretty sure has already been thought of. But hey definently a kid thinking outside of the box, great work by him; but I would have been more impressed if he actually discovered and named the microbe.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat
Bet the military wants to get their hands on that. Weaponize it and spray it across the battlefield, watch all the plastics your foes use get ruined.

Good times

My intution tells me though that this smart young man is not really the first to make this discovery. I would bet that its being sat on because of the potential dangers. Imagine a weaponized version in the hands of terrorists, release a few microbes here and there and just wait for them to multiply to dangerous levels. The level of havoc this could cause would be off the scales.

the article says 43% in six weeks. under controlled conditions.

so unless your dumping oil drums of it on to caches of plastic weapons that are going to remain there for weeks on end then that's not an effective plan.

His were the best of the best microbes, if you released them they'd only multiply and die as fast as every other microbe. I don't have any schooling on microbes as used for weaponization but i do have common sense and logic, and ATM it says your plans got some leaks. but it is a nice idea.

Your idea sounds more like a virus then a microbe.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
i'm sorry to not be able to contribute anything of value to this, but this news is the best thing i have read in a long time!
hopefully we can apply this to the north pacific gyre and trash dumps across the world.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Perhaps. However, are you taking into account all the people who never would recycle and do not recycle now?

Trust me. I must have seen some very ignorant people or some very lazy people at my college. Recycling cans were right next to the trash can, yet I would look in the trash can and easily pull out other people's recyclables. Very disconcerting. :shk:

So I think it would be a larger help to the planet, than a burden to the planet.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Awesome.... At least some people are making a difference.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

perhaps, but, innovation for trash collection is being blocked by those that are greedy. How do I know this ?? I saw it on Beyond Tomorrow a few years ago, a trash incinerator right on the street.

Throw your trash in and it's burned up right there. completely safe to the public...and where are they now??

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Oh great just what we need something that will give a limited life span to any thing that we own that has plastic in it.

The navy years ago found a microbe that would eat oil spills. and they started to use it for cleaning up oil spills. and it got away from them. into the oil supply.

Now everyone that has diesel powered equipment has to worry that this microbe does not get into the fuel in there equipment.

Many emergency diesel generators have fuel that stays in them for YEARS and I have had to buy a special additive to keep this microbe at bay.

The best thing about the diesel microbe is the first thing it attacks is the red dye they use in off-road diesel.
when the dye starts to clot up and sink to the bottom we would filter it out and put the diesel in our trucks and replace it with new diesel in the equipment.

The red dye is trapped in the jelly that the microbe creates in the bottom of the tank.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

This is a great brake through, its astonishing ! but i would like to se result. live with my own eyes just sounds all to increedible. this also to me signals that there is hope for us humans still.

i know i wasnt saveing the worlds problems when i was 16. i was drunking and discussing the worlds problems

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Raider of Truth

I doubt it, cancer has been cured several times, but all of those medications are illegal. Coincidentally, chemotherapy is more expensive than any of them.... hmmm.

Good find by the kid, glad to see some people still apply common sense.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by SkepticPerhaps]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Haven't I head this story before? I have a relativly good memory on stuff like this and I know I've heard something like this before..

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
www.wired.com...

year old news =o,

I need to make some nanobots...

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir
Haven't I head this story before? I have a relativly good memory on stuff like this and I know I've heard something like this before

Lie the astonishing new breakthrough on cancer, the newly discovered source of free energy, the new car engine that runs on chickensh*t, one of these stories is trotted out when the papers have a slow week.

The kid will become the youngest member of plastic eating microbe discoverers club.

A thread will be started soon on how the this is being suppressed by the oil companies, US, govet multinationals, NWO, etc

Mike

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
cool now the questin is when Will we start you-ins them!!!!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Wow now lets see a science fair come out with a transporter. Beam us around the town scotty.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by bonsaisert

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
here's a pic of the kid

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fab46605c095.jpg[/atsimg]

I have to say....that's exactly what i expected him to look like.

Good on ya mate.

lmaooo, likewise.

<< 1  2   >>

join