It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: N. Korean ship carries weapons to Myanmar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Official: N. Korean ship carries weapons to Myanmar

news.yahoo.com

SEOUL, South Korea – A North Korean-flagged ship under close watch in Asian waters is believed to be heading toward Myanmar carrying small arms cargo banned under a new U.N. resolution, a South Korean intelligence official said Monday.

Still, analysts say a high seas interception — something North Korea has said it would consider an act of war — is unlikely.

The Kang Nam, accused of engaging in illicit trade in the past, is the first vessel monitored under the new sanctions designed to punish the North for its defiant nuclear test last month. The U.S. military began tracking the sh
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
What? unlikely? oh I thought the new stance on the North Koreans was supposed to be tough, apparently this ship carrying weapons that clearly violates the sanctions placed, is "not likely" to be intercepted. This may be small arms but I don't care it could be nuclear material for all we know, the talk of toughness needs to followed up on.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-6-2009 by alyosha1981]

[edit on 22/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

In all honesty, we seem to prey on the weak countries. Afghanistan, Iraq, for example. But, North Korea is a little different, they take a tough stance on defending themselves, and we know they will put up a good fight if we come a knocking.

It's surprising, it seems both we and N. Korea are waiting for someone to make the first punch.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76

In all honesty, we seem to prey on the weak countries. Afghanistan, Iraq, for example. But, North Korea is a little different, they take a tough stance on defending themselves, and we know they will put up a good fight if we come a knocking.

It's surprising, it seems both we and N. Korea are waiting for someone to make the first punch.

I think [they] have made several "punches" or at least swings, but I see what you are saying. My point is that war or not these sanctions need to be backed up and not taken so lightly.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

you mean "america" is passive-aggressively instigating a war??

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

I think war with North Korea is inevitable so I suppose it's not "what" is done by whom, it's when.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
im waiting for pirates to take the north korean ship. thats the only way to make this more of a drama

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I have a question...it may seem out of place...but why have they chosen Myanmar do you think?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

Very fitting addition to this drama that would make! although I'm sure the pirates wand to stay clear of the U.S warships in that area, or at least doing so behooves them.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
I have a question...it may seem out of place...but why have they chosen Myanmar do you think?

Myanmar's military government, which faces an arms embargo from the U.S. and the European Union, reportedly has bought weapons from North Korea in the past.

from the article already posted

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Edit see above, I just noticed this myself

[edit on 22-6-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Thanks...but I also want to ask...strategically...they could use that as a launch...would that make some targets they cant reach more reachable?
With a missile...that is?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Thanks...but I also want to ask...strategically...they could use that as a launch...would that make some targets they cant reach more reachable?
im sure every bit counts....its hard to say for certain exactly what weapon(s) they have onboard so its hard to say what their reasoning really is...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

The only thing I can think is if they do conduct a launch from there, they might thing the U.S would not retaliate against that country, or would thinking them responsible?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Thanks, and to doublefrick too! I am going to do a little research on it...what I find I will post here.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Sounds good I'll do the same after I get back from running an errand I hope the ship isn't carrying anything more then whats speculated but ya never know and the MSM can't be trusted anyways.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

North Korea putting up a good fight to the USA or South Korea

That is hilarious. We could bomb them back to the stoneage without nukes in a matter of days.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
reply to post by jhill76

We could bomb them back to the stoneage without nukes in a matter of days.

Do you know how many they could kill in Seoul in a matter of minutes? it's allot just remember they already have thousands of T.R.P's and artie waiting for the order.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

They might be able to kill a lot of people in Seoul, but it doesnt mean that South Korean and/or they USA couldnt kick the living hell out of them in the end.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

The US has long embargoed Myanmar and China certainly will not permit them to invade that country; it and India are have serious financial investments in the country. What they are doing is really sly if they are actually going to ship weapons or toxic agents into Myanmar, they are drawing India into the conflict and spreading the US fleet across the Pacific while separating its direct access with a subcontinent and isolating ships in the Indian Ocean in fairly hostile territory. Someone in their think tank obviously has played Battleship a time or two.

It's also compromising US financial targets across the Pacific since it is placing potential launch sites closer to places we won't hit like Thailand. Not to mention, that whole area is surrounded by heavily Muslim countries like Indonesia which probably are going to side with the Sino-Korean-Arab alliance that some have suggested is forming.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join