It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul: The World's Most Popular U.S. Congressman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Months after his long-shot bid for the Republican presidential nomination ended, Rep. Ron Paul has become a hot ticket on the international stage. Unlikely as it may seem, Paul, a Texas Republican, is the most popular member of Congress outside the United States, if foreign television appearances are any indication.
Paul expected his international influence to diminish after the quixotic presidential campaign. In fact, it's gone the other way. "It's actually building," he told the Huffington Post. "It really truly baffles me. I see myself as somebody who's been saying the same thing for about 30 years and not too many people paying any attention."
How much international media does a typical member of Congress do? "Practically none," says a top House GOP communications aide. Foreign media appearances are so rare, he says, that the party doesn't track them.

Turn on Russia Today any given afternoon and you're likely to see Paul waxing political. A Paul-seeking viewer could also find him on the BBC and other outlets in Great Britain -- "too many to count," says the spokesman, Jesse Benton, for his ongoing Campaign for Liberty) -- or on stations in Canada, Holland, Sweden, Australia, Brazil and Argentina. He's also routinely asked to appear in person. "Dr. Paul currently has invitations to speak all over the world, including Turkey, The Czech Republic, the U.K and Hong Kong," says Benton. "Yes, we do get more foreign media requests than we can accommodate," affirms Rachel Mills, his congressional spokeswoman. In the last month, she says, he's appeared on Italian National Television, Russia Today, BBC and Iran's Press TV. A number of others were declined for lack of time, she said.

"When he is a guest, ratings increase. He is huge on the internet and CNN, Fox are trying to utilize that as well," said a journalist who works for a foreign network. "Also, when Dr. Paul was running for president, a lot of his interviews on the mainstream made him look like a lunatic...that has changed dramatically." Paul reads the Constitution strictly and votes against any bill he thinks goes outside Congress' authority as granted within it. He strongly opposes sanctions and U.S. military interventions in foreign affairs and favors legalizing drugs, gambling and other vices. He deems the American government "broke."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I thought this was a great article which talks about why Ron Paul has gained so much popularity..here in the USA...and the world. It's all about the message. Freedom, individual liberty, and non interventionalism.

I had no idea that he had so many followers in so many countries. The whole world seems to know about this man which is probably because of his dislike of American foreign policy. He preaches the complete opposite of Obama...and Bush for that matter.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I agree - USA - Make a revolution soom, and put RP "Your Last Hope" to the white house now!

He was the only candidate - others were just puppets.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Ron Paul probably scares the bejesus out of TPTB. The greater RP's following becomes ,the looser TPTB's strangle hold on the truth is.
IT's a thousand wonders that something hasn't happened to the man,he is pure poison to their living lies.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Even as a staunch Liberal I have liked Ron for many years. Many Liberals and Democrats that I know like him as well.

I might not agree with all his policies, but like Kuchinich they are both men of character.

The heart of the problem has always been the Fed and global bankers, Ron needs to keep up the fight.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by AllexxisF1]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I find it amazing that television ratings actually go up when he is being interviewed. Who can say that for any other US Congressman? I know I can't think of any.

People actually look forward to when he is on one of the major media channels and actually take time to watch.

Look at the map link in the article ...it shows all of the countries that have visited CampaignforLiberty.com...which was started by RP and his supporters. It's quite amazing really.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by David9176]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I don't get why he is so popular.

He will never be in a posistion to run for President. I think we need to find a new basket to put all our eggs into. 10 years ago he would have made the perfect politicion.

Instead of going on television promoting himself, he should find a younger politicon and endorse him or her.

That would really help America.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
All this is very good to hear. I am an avid Ron Paul supporter, and still have a Ron Paul 2008 bumper sticker on the rear of my van, which drives some people, and some cops crazy. One cop even told me I would have to remove it, and I told him I would when he showed in the Constitution that the First Amendment was no longer in there.

I hope he continues with his talks and speeches, he is the only one I can trust, after all.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Translation - the biggest do-nothing in American politics has lots and lots of time to fill up the airwaves on foreign news channels.

I'm glad Kucinich actually busts his skinny little butt. Ron Paul is like all Libertarians - he expects things to just magically happen for him.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

What are you talking about? He wrote the bill to audit the Fed which could be one of the most important pieces of legislation in a long time. How can you say he doesn't do anything?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bullhorn

What are you talking about? He wrote the bill to audit the Fed which could be one of the most important pieces of legislation in a long time. How can you say he doesn't do anything?

Because, besides that one thing, he really doesn't do anything.

He spends more time on televison promoting himself which doesn't really help anyone.

Alot of good that bill did, didn't the Fed just gain more power recently?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Well, the bill has yet to pass. Obviously I'm not qualified to say whether or not it has a realistic chance of passing, but if it does it would help tremendously.
The fact that the Fed was basically given dictatorial power over the economy is hardly Dr Paul's fault. Let's just hope he is successful in his quest to audit the Fed and even if that's the only thing he'll ever accomplish, he will have done more for this country than any Congressman I can think of.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
I agree - USA - Make a revolution soom, and put RP "Your Last Hope" to the white house now!

He was the only candidate - others were just puppets.

They would kill him off and then it would be obvious what their plan is....That is why it wouldn't work in the current system.

Although I do think RP is the man for the job.....He is the most honest politician I have ever heard speak and he seems like a guy who is a normal guy who just happens to be a congressmen unlike the other greedy arrogant bastards.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bullhorn

So by your own admission he hasn't actually done anything but write a bill, that hasn't even been passed. Hardly says anything good about him, does it?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I didn't admit anything. Actually I haven't been following him for too long so I don't know every single thing he did all these years in Congress. This piece of legislation is extremely important and if he succeeds, that's good enough for me even if he had previously never done anything.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

You seem to have a pattern here on ATS..... Ron Paul does more than any congressman we have. But mostly and more importantly he is waking up young Americans to an oppression that most do not perceive. This is the best thing anyone has done in some time. Sounds like you just want it all done for you.

But there has always got to be one of you somewhere.

What is an Internet Troll/ Forum troll?

* An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" or "Message Board Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

A classic CureZone troll is trying to make us believe that he is a genuine skeptic with no hidden agenda. He is divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or provoking people to insult him. Troll is usually an expert in reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against them.

While sometimes, he may sound like a stupid, uninformed, ignorant poster, do not be deceived! Most trolls are highly intelligent people trying to hide behind a mask of stupidity and/or ignorance! They usually have an agenda. Very few trolls come to CureZone out of pure skepticism.

A CureZone Troll is generally a person who is extremely skeptical of the main forum subject.
He is generally interested to make other forum members look stupid. A troll will sometimes use insults to provoke other people to insult him. Then, he will complain to moderators of being insulted and will request that his opponents get banned from further discussion.

It is generally very easy to troll any one of several hundreds of support forums on CureZone. As the majority of support forums on CureZone are about alternatives to commercialized medicine, all you have to do to start a flaming thread questioning the main subject of discussion and to provoke insults from hard core proponents. It has been done every few weeks. It is strictly against our rules!

Initiating debates on CureZone support forums is strictly against the rules.

CureZone has plenty of debate forums where those interested in questioning can have free rain.

Even debate forums on CureZone can be trolled by name calling and by provoking name calling. Those trolls are quickly banned from CureZone.

He (and in 90% of cases it is he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Sometimes, he is skeptical, trying to scare people, trying to plant fear in their hearts. Many curezone trolls are people trying to promote Quackwatch / ratbags agenda through fear mongering.

For many trolls, lack of hard evidence about any therapy equals "DANGER". He will try to scare people from even trying the therapy just because there is no hard evidence that therapy is more effective then placebo.

Sometimes, Internet troll is trying to spin conflicting information, is questioning in an insincere manner, flaming discussion, insulting people, turning people against each other, harassing forum members, ignoring warnings from forum moderators.

Trolling is a form of harassment that can take over a discussion. Well meaning defenders can create chaos by responding to trolls. The best response is to ignore it, or to report a message to a forum moderator. CureZone moderators usually delete troll messages or block trolls. Negative emotions stirred up by trolls leak over into other discussions. Normally affable people can become bitter after reading an angry interchange between a troll and his victims, and this can poison previously friendly interactions between long-time users.

Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash.

When trolls are ignored they step up their attacks, desperately seeking the attention they crave. Their messages become more and more foul, and they post ever more of them.

Alternatively, they may protest that their right to free speech is being curtailed.

Perhaps the most difficult challenge for a webmaster is deciding whether to take steps against a troll that a few people find entertaining. Some trolls do have a creative spark and have chosen to squander it on being disruptive. There is a certain perverse pleasure in watching some of them. Ultimately, though, the webmaster has to decide if the troll actually cares about putting on a good show for the regular participants, or is simply playing to an audience of one -- himself.

Next time you are on a message board and you see a post by somebody whom you think is a troll, and you feel you must reply, simply write a follow-up message entitled "Troll Alert" and type only this:

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction and not to respond to trolling messages. It is well known that most people don't read messages that nobody responds to, while 99% of forum visitors first read the longest and the largest threads with the most answers. Curezone.com

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by David9176

Translation - the biggest do-nothing in American politics has lots and lots of time to fill up the airwaves on foreign news channels.

50 Sponsored Bills in the 111th.
70 in the 110th.
79 in the 109th.
76 in the 108th.
68 in the 107th.

What a lazy S.O.B..

www.house.gov...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Its too bad that he is getting so much attention elsewhere in the world but not enough in the country where it really matters.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Paul has some good ideas. i like his views on our modern policies in america.
i hope we can keep this alive and move on it to make our country a real boy, not just a wooden lying one with an elongating nose.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Huffington Post likes Ron Paul?

Just another reason for me to stay skeptical.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
From the Source Article .

Paul's popularity extends to the ground level in foreign countries. His website draws readers from all over the globe, as this graphic world map shows. Paul's YouTube videos get high in Ireland, Great Britain, Australia, the Czech Republica, New Zealand and Poland

To my knowledge Ron Paul has never been interviewed on New Zealand television . Still for me the most telling part of the article is the fact that those who want to know about or have an interest in Paul will find out about him including Kiwis . I have dealt with Paul political views elsewhere on the boards so I won't cover old ground .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join