It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Copyright Law, King Lear, and Jammie Thomas-Rasset

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

US Copyright Law, King Lear, and Jammie Thomas-Rasset

www.groklaw.net

If the current US Copyright Law had been in effect over Shakespeare, I think he could have been sued by many authors for copyright infringement for writing that masterpiece.

Count how many lawsuits there could have been just for King Lear alone:

(excerpt removed - refer to linked source please)

How many lawsuits do you see? At least a half dozen? I even see some methods and concepts claims, if we view it with modern copyright owner eyes. Remember J.K. Rowling's litigation.....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
There's a great line in this article... I can't help but use my character count just to share it....

... That's what Jammie Thomas-Rasset is now, as I see it, locked into indentured servitude for the rest of her natural life. I guess you could call it slavery, actually, as she has no hope of paying off that debt. She is the RIAA's slave for life. If she writes a book, they'll get the money. If she gets a job, they can garnish her wages. No matter what she tries to earn, how can she pay off a debt of this magnitude? And yet, it's perfectly legal under the law. The jury followed the law as written. Ironically, unless Hollywood makes a hit movie about her, and you can just imagine how they'd spin it which mitigates against it being a hit, I see no way she can pay what she "owes". Ever. And that is slavery.

While the article itself is a but legalistic in content, it demonstrates a very valid concern..., that our judicial system actually permitted this kind of punitive measure to be placed on a citizen.... Yet corporations NEVER face this kind of devastating judgment..., EVER!

Heck, we even bail them out when they screw up... out of the kindness of our civic hearts....

Go figure, it says something about those who judge what "is" or "is not" FAIR.

I wonder if it will be safe to hum a tune in 20 years time, or will we be considered to be 'infringing' on someone's "property?"

www.groklaw.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 22-6-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Rassets case was a shot across the bow. People need to see this for what it is. It is not about the money it is all about control. Nearly everything you come across on the internet is someones intellectual material.Monitoring intellectual material could be the gate way to full censorship of the net.
You could potentialy get fined for quoting someone if this is taken to extremes.

new topics

join