It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator: (SC Governor)Sanford drops SLED detail and is MIA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Senator: (SC Governor)Sanford drops SLED detail and is MIA

www.postandcourier.com

COLUMBIA — Thirty-year lawman Sen. Jake Knotts said he got wind of news over the weekend that Gov. Mark Sanford had taken a SLED vehicle Thursday night and told his security detail to stand down.

“Ain’t nobody seen from him or heard from him since,” Knotts said this afternoon. Knotts is a West Columbia Republican and a retired law enforcement officer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This is interesting.. Why would the Governor of South Carolina want to "ditch" his security detail? What if this has to due with him rejecting the Federal Funds... The governors office says they know where he is.. but of course they would say that.

This will be an interesting story to follow if we do not hear from him very soon

www.postandcourier.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I agree, it is interesting. I guess we'll have to wait and see but from the story it seems that this Knotts character may just want to make trouble for him.

Knotts — who is regularly at odds with Sanford and frequently critical of him

And on this quote:

Knotts said his interest is three-fold: He is concerned for Sanford’s safety, worried about the protection of the state should a hurricane or terrorist attack happen while the governor is on his own and apprehensive because Sanford never transferred his power to Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer before he left.

I have to call BS!!! He just wants to start something.

I sincerely hope he's alright though because he won some serious points with me in his failed battle against everyone else on the stimulus money.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Some more details would be helpful. This is terrible news if in fact the Govenor is missing.

First lady Jenny Sanford told The Associated Press her husband has been gone for several days and she doesn’t know where. She said she was not concerned. Jenny Sanford said the governor said he needed time away from their children to write something.

The governor’s office did not provide many specifics.

“Governor Sanford is taking some time away from the office this week to recharge after the stimulus battle and the legislative session, and to work on a couple of projects that have fallen by the wayside,” press secretary Joel Sawyer said in a statement. “We are not going to discuss the specifics of his travel arrangements or his security arrangements.”

According to this, sounds like they know where he is but is giving him privacy to just unwind from his hectic life and catch up on some writing...

[edit on 22-6-2009 by antar]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I see people droping like flies...that oppose. missing , quitting...getting fired... yup keep tabs on this story.
s&f

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Haha... yep... here ya go.

Sanford, missing since Thursday, reportedly located

Knotts said the state’s chief executive should never be unreachable.

Just trying to make trouble.

And apparently they know where he is now.

Sanford’s last known whereabouts had been near Atlanta because a mobile telephone tower picked up a signal from his phone, authorities said. His office now knows where he is, Adams said.

The governor’s state and personal phones had been turned off and he had not responded to phone or text messages since at least the weekend, a source familiar with the situation said.

Wonder where he went?? Hmmm... I can hear the gossip columns cranking up now...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Sounds to me like he is off getting a 'make over' and an 'attitude' adjustment probably courtesy of the CIA.

Personally I would have opted for who ever did Ana Nicole Smith's makeover but alas makeovers usually don't work out that good even in her case.

Poor guy should have read the disclaimer on the back of the South Carolina State Constitution in small print...just kidding please contact Washington D.C. for further instructions.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I just posted another thread Prosecutor Evans' death shocks S.C. Renowned state official dies unexpectedly about the strange weekend for SC.

I wonder if these two stories are related somehow?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Weird, if you guys have been paying attention to what he was saying about the SC Constitution, he was saying how it is a "racist" constitution. He was explaining how back during reconstruction the State Legislature got together and re-wrote the constitution to give the Legislature power over all the money decisions, supreme court appointee's, etc, because the white people in the legislature during time were afraid that a black man would become govenor.

The only thing he can really do is sign legislation and order emergency management, in cases like a hurricane or terrorist attack. There was also a thing in a local paper around here and a state rep. was saying how there is "Tyranny in the State Gov.". The legislature added more provisions into a budget bill that gave them control over a police force created specifically to guard the legislature grounds, and it is under the legislature control not the governors, and passing laws that go against supreme court rulings.

So it wouldn't surprise me if he is off writing a new South Carolina State Constitution.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
This is a very odd story

1. Apparently his wife didn't even know where he was.

Even his wife, Jenny, said she did not know where he was, The Associated Press reported, according to The State newspaper in Columbia, South Carolina.

Source: CNN

2. He missed father's day.

Jenny Sanford said Monday she had not spoken with her husband for several days, including Father's Day. The Sanfords have four sons.

Source: Fox News

3. He left in a black SUV without his security detail.

That's what South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford has been doing since Thursday, when he reportedly left the governor's mansion in a black SUV owned by the State Law Enforcement Division, which handles his security detail.

Source: www.salon.com

4. Apparently he has been exhibiting "erratic" behavior for some time now. (SLED Stands for State Law Enforcement Division.)

"I found out that he was taking frequent trips at odd times of the night in a SLED car with no security," Knotts said. "He would be driving. I got wind that he had taken another one of these types of capers last Thursday, and that nobody knew who he was with.

"We've been concerned by the governor's erratic behavior for some time," Land said in a prepared statement. "We're praying for him and his family. I hope he is safe and that he contacts the first lady and his family soon."

Source: CNN

5. They still do not know where he is now. They only know that he is somewhere on the Appalachian Trail.

The Republican governor left town on Thursday, his spokesman Joel Sawyer said, with plans to hike the trail, which passes through 14 states but not South Carolina. Sawyer said he didn't know where exactly Sanford was along the 2,200-mile route and declined to discuss if anyone was hiking with him. The governor was expected back later this week.

Source: Fox News

6. The reports are he ,and I quote, "needed to leave his kids because he needed to write something." What in the world does that mean!!

Why is he going hiking to write something anyway?

Jenny Sanford said the governor told her he needed time away from their children to write something.

Carolina Fox News

7. They still have received no contact from the Governor only his spokesman.

None of this adds up at all. You'd think with all the coverage he has gotten on he would have at least called the media to give a statement.

Recap...

The Governor drove away in a black SUV with occupants unknown. He has been missing for four days including father's day. His family and his office still do not know exactly where he is but believe he is hiking the Appalachian trail to go write something.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by Studious]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Who is John Galt?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Any update on this?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I don't think he was being at all responsible but he picked a good place to hide.
The Appalachian trail is nearly 2200 miles long and that doesn't take into account thousands of miles of trails that intersect it.
I walked about a quarter of it a few years back and have plans to get the whole thing done eventually. It is a great way to get away from everything.
If I wanted to hide from somebody for a while it would be my first choice. There are water sources, shelters and fairly consistent crossroads that lead to towns for food. Unless they know where to look, they probably won't find you. All you have to do is keep walking.
Another plus is that almost everybody who walks the trail for extended periods of time adopts a 'trail name'. This adds a layer of anonymity because they rarely use their actual names and don't talk about the 'real world' much.
A person on the trail can immerse themselves in an alternate reality and stay anonymous for a long time.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This story worries me.
These are not appropriate actions for a governor.
Something is not right.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Per the news of this afternoon, he will be returning to Columbia tomorrow.

As noted above, Gov. Sanford has not exactly been having a love-fest w/ Sen. Knott, or the Lt. Gov. These two have been the two most on the local media 'expressing concern'.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I
This story worries me.
These are not appropriate actions for a governor.
Something is not right.

This story caught my eye about the same day as the Jennifer Evans story.
Evans was SC Chief Pros. for SC State Attorney General. She was 40, yrs old, and died unexpectedly this past weekend, at her cabin retreat.
Evans was responsible for sending to prison, top Executives of HomeGold Financial. They had one little article on this in Google news, and I never saw it mentioned on any news stations. I found it interesting she was also from SC, and very odd it was hardly mentioned anywhere..
Then today, I read about Netti Britts, another SC..Young Repulican Leader, who was savagely attacked in a home invasion Last Wed/Thursday... She's in critical condition with a cracked skull, and the intruder was not caught..
I just thought it odd..
Evans, SC Chief Pro.-dead
Mark Sanford,SC Gov.- gone for 5 days..(In hiding??)
Netti Britts, SC Young Republican Leader-Attacked in home invasion
All took place around the same day, all from the same place..
odd? or is it just me??
www.wltx.com...
www.thestate.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Any update on this?

He was in Argentina! (What in the world was he doing there.
)

Politico

If you didn't believe the Appalachian Trail story, you were right, as the Sanford story turns even stranger: The State reports South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford now says he was in Buenos Aires, reason unclear:

This story is getting stranger by the minute.

I have two questions.

1. What was he doing in Argentina?

2. Why did his staff think he was hiking the Appalachian trail?

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Studious]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join