It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We just had a fairly large earthquake in Anchorage.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Alaska is full of volcanos! They are everywhere. Usually one or two are errupting, but because the state is so unpopulated, no harm is done accept for the occasional air traffic that has to go around an ash cloud.

As far as earthquakes go, Alaska gets a lot of them, all the time.

The greatest recorded one was in 1964, a HUGE 9.2 and here is some awesome pictures of that quake!

Photo gallery of Alaska 9.2 1964 quake

If I am not mistaken, that is one of the largest ever recored earthquakes on the planet since mankind started keeping track. The photos are amazing!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

I'm lucky, where I am quake activity is rare, though we do feel tremors every great once and a while. Here the worry is more about tsunami's.

We have a large breakwater protecting Anchorage so Tsunami's are not an issue. Over in the Valdez area they are in danger of that though. Valdez was destroyed by one in the past.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I suppose you will be rockin and rolling for a few days now. Aftershocks...now they say on CNN it was 5.4.

Over the last few weeks just southeast of Yakutat there have been a lot of small tremors. That is the area I have been watching.

Supposedly somewhere around here (Petersburg) there is some cliff that is supposed to give way and create a super tsunami that rips through our area, it was some psychic prediction that was based on some scientific study back in the 70's. Hasnt happened yet, I wish I could remember the name of the cliff.

AK is an interesting place to live

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Anything under about a 3.5 over that way, we don't really feel here.

That 7.9 up on the Denali Fault in 2002 rocked my house really good. It was like a boat on rough seas. No damage though. Shook the fish up in the aquarium a bit but my dog slept right through it. Dog clearly don't make good earthquake predictors when they are napping

There are places here that displaced 30 feet or more in the big quake. My Delivery Driver tells me his trees were slapping the ground. My office is a block from an spot that displaced 30 feet or so.

It could be worse. We could live in a large dirty city in the Lower 48

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Glad it was not worse and that you are all fine. I have always wished I could live in Alaska as it is the most beautiful fresh place on earth.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thank you for your concern. This is a great place to live. Anchorage is to large but I have to live here to earn a living. Freedom is only 15 minutes away though.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

It could be worse. We could live in a large dirty city in the Lower 48

Isn't that the truth! You have never had a breath of fresh air until you get to actually breath and smell the air coming off of a glacier.

Been looking at the AK earthquake map and looks like a lot of aftershocks, I hope it doesnt set off any other faults.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
They did some core drilling out on the flats about 7 years ago or so. They concluded that a major earthquake occurs here once every 700 years or so.

We seem to get a half dozen here a year that I can feel.

The Valley is nice but I think I'm going to buy some land on the Kenai Peninsula near Anchor Point to retire on. Lots of Moose and plenty of fish. Land is cheap, people are nice and nobody cares how others live. I really like that area.

I've never been to your area but I have been to some of the San Juans and I'd imagine it is a lot the same. Must be very nice there.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I've got the best fishing in the world right down the hill from me.

You have to put up with ALOT of rain though!

Lets hope it keeps its 700 track record.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Looks like three also on Andreanof Islands, Blaine --

19:55:25 Mb 5.5
21:05:35 Mb 5.5

oops, no third, that was a reclassification of the 2nd one.

Practically swarming. you all stay safe up there bud.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join