It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Raising children properly’ requires stay-at-home parent: Alberta minister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Alberta’s Liberal leader is demanding an apology from Finance Minister Iris Evans, who suggested that in order to raise children “properly” one parent should stay at home while the other goes to work.

If she really said these things, she must apologize. If she doesn’t apologize, the premier must fire her,” David Swann said in a statement Wednesday. “These are truly outrageous claims. I have never been as stunned by the sheer arrogance and ignorance of the Tories as I am today.

“In a sense, Iris Evans did us all a favour by revealing her contempt for the sacrifices made by hard-working Alberta families.”

Source
CBC Original Article

Well this is interesting isn't it?

Seems like my western counterparts are trying to instill this idea of traditional family roles back into the mainstream. I apologize,but I don't see how most couples could afford to do such a thing in today's climate. Let alone in Alberta or BC.

Very strange times we live in, I wonder what will become of this one, If she issues a public apology or not.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Well, i also do not understand who could afford it. At least majority could not do it,surely. But i agree with this politician (weird times...) that instead of leaving kids to comfort of TVs and playstations, it is better for a parent to be with them. Next best thing to almost extinct backyard with other kids.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Well I agree that parents should be involved, but that can be worked into any home life, whether parents are both working or not.

Me and my husband both work full time, and our children never go a day without spending quality time with us. It's just a matter of making time for it.

Besides, children are at school past the age of 5 for 8 hours a day, the parent has no influence on this time, wether they are at home or at work. People need to live and in most cases and in most households that means that both parents have to work so they can support their children and make it comfortable for them.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I've done it both ways. Personally, I feel that the main thing is that parents have to be AVAILABLE for their children, whether they are working or at home. That is the big issue I see in all walks of life.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Unbelievable. This woman Iris Evans states the truth and some guy wants her fired for that.

Who thinks that children were meant to be raised in day care their whole lives? Obviously it is better for them to be raised at home by one or more of their parents.

It figures some Liberal would want her fired. They always want everyones head when somebody says something that hurts their precious feelings or disagrees with their point of view. Go figure a bunch of Liberals want to save the rest of the world, but get mad when somebody points out that the world would be better and their kids would have better lives if one parent stayed home and raised them.

I guess if people didnt need that brand new SUV every other year or women didnt need $300 purses then maybe people could afford to do it, but most people are too selfish to do the right thing.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I think David Swann should be fired for being "anti-family".
Put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Swann.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I can say for sure that, except for proper nursing (and that can be handled for working moms), as long as there is a rapport between parents and children, it is not necessary, although preferable, to have a stay-at-home parent.

And yeah to all responders. How in the heck can we do that in these times, anyway.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
She's right. She didn't say it was easy. But she is correct.

link   
This woman is absolutely right and she is the first of what will soon be many women who were strongly influenced by the sixties and all of the social changes.

I am from Canada ,it is painfully obvious that in the multi-cultural mosiac that is my country I am watching mainly Caucasian families disintegrate and their birth rates shrink.I am watching a disporportionate number of Caucasian familys suffer divorce and the resulting economic and emotional damage done to familys.More and more mothers are forced to work out of the home and pay another mother to raise their children.

The reasons are a combonation of economic and social or peer pressure.Several sucessive generations of women have now watched their mothers leave the home to earn money. They have also absorbed the emotional cost in broken marriages and single parent families.

Look at the birth rates in the countries that HEAVILY ENDORSED THE RADICAL SOCIAL CHANGES PROPOGATED BY THE SIXTIES CULTURAL REVOLUTION.

I rest my case,no need to blame but us echos and you boomers had better find a way to teach our children to marry and stay married before we become extinct.

link   
Well, honestly, I agree with her. However, "they" have made it so that it takes a couple to survive anymore. A single person, ha, might as well forget about making a substantial living for him/her self.

With that being said, part of the reason there is such a problem with the youth is because they are left to their own ends. Mom's at work. Dad's at work. So what does that leave? Well, the long and short of it is that it leaves the child, for all tense and purposes, to raise him/ her self. It's sad, but it's the truth.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I do not think it is right to blame "they" or them for our bad choices. There are plenty of families that make ends meet with just one parent working. Yes, many of them have to sacrifice and not buy new cars or they have to take cheaper vacations, eat generic food, buy cheaper clothes, or live in a cheaper home, or save instead of charge, etc..

The only things that force most couples to have both parents working is greed and selfishness. You know how it is everyone has to compete with one another. God forbid your neighbor buy something you do not get to buy.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by grapesofraft]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
As much as I agree that if possible one parent should stay at home, I don't think it's a necessity in order to raise proper children.

My children are proper, hell my daughter just graduated honors and is going to med school on a full scholarship. And me and my husband have always worked full time jobs.

We've simply made the time to spend with our children, to educate them and make them good people. It's a matter of willingless, to commit.

Working parents have become lazy in raising children, they think the TV is a better alternative than actually playing with their child, or reading to them etc..

This woman should have not said that it was REQUIRED to raise proper children. That notion is absurd.

~Keeper

[edit on 6/22/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I fully agree with her.

While it is difficult and trying at times, i think a child is much better off with one parent at home.

You have to cut way back and scrape by to make it, but its possible, Been doing it for 15 months now. It is doable, but not the easiest at times.

I work nights, get a nap in the morning, get up around 10 or 11 watch little man while she works on her clients (Licensed Massage Therapist) then i get a nap around 5 or so, and back up at 9 to get ready for work at 10.
Frills are gone, its pay day to pay day, lil man gets what he needs and thats what counts.

I have a problem dropping my lil one off at a day care for the day. Not only with the danger issues, and abuse issues that we see every day, but also with the bond that many of us took for granted growing up when it was possible for only one to work.
I want him to know what thats like, at least until he gets old enough to go to school, then things may change.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

Well kudos to you and your wife for doing the right thing for lil man. He will appreciate it greatly when he grows up and realizes that you loved him enough to sacrifice your wants for his needs. You and your wife made the only right choice in this matter.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

To an extent you are correct. People tend to want to live above and beyond their means. You know the old story. "I deserve to have a 500,000 dollar home and drive a 50,000 dollar Navigator or Escalade."
It's sickening; you're right.

However, you can't tell me that it is not harder to make ends meet in today's world. I am a single 32 year old man, and I know how hard it is to make it on a $10 an hour wage. It's not easy.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

Wow, awesome.....

I agree its been a struggle, but my kids are worth it. My wife hasn't worked since our first was born 15 years ago. (Pretty good considering we live in San diego, Ca) Anyway we drive used cars, take modest vacations, live within our means and our kids (2) have a place to go after school. I get sad becuse the neighbors keep their kids in "project safe" before and after school where alot of kids get there a 6:00 am (two hours before school) and are picked up at 6:00 pm (3.5 hours after school) just so mom and dad can have a mobile home, jet ski, motorcycles and 4 big hd tv's. Its a shame.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by crsb123

Well I am proud of you and your wife for doing the right thing.

The thing that makes me most upset about it is that the parents that do put their kid in some institution from 6am to 6pm or longer, are many times the same ones who say they do it all for their kids.

Even the kids have the good sense to know that they would be happier and better off without the latest video game, toys, clothes, etc.. if they just had parents that cared more about them then they do about competing with the neigbors or placing material things above doing the right thing for their kids.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Ms. Evans doesn't know what's she talking about come on if anyone knows about her previous positions as a MLA, back in the mid 1990's she was Minister of Children Service or Child Welfare think about it.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I have to disagree with you. I've went to school with kids who lived in a household where both parents worked. Some of those kids turned out wonderful. However, there were some that didn't because they never had a parent at home with them.

Depending on what kind of child that you have your kid might need a parent to always be there for them instead of at work. It doesn't always take two parents to provide for a household.

As long as one parent has a decent job, the family will do just fine. How do I know this? Well my stepdad works and my mom stays at home. Keep in mine that me there daughter is in college and they are still able to make sure that I have what I need. Plus when I do come home to visit it's nice to know that my mom will be home just in case I need help with my homework or something else school related. So in short it's good for the child or children to have at least one parent at home.

new topics

top topics

join