It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World to End in 2012: A Hoax Gone Too Far?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

World to End in 2012: A Hoax Gone Too Far?

www.livescience.com

There's no shortage of end-of-the-world prophecies and hoaxes, but the latest one has a slick twist. Or, some might say, a sick twist.

In fact, just by writing about it, I'm playing into the hands of a big media company that hopes I will write about it, or at least pass the word and a link, so that they can ultimately make money. Rather, I'll try to keep a few people from being frightened.

The story starts with Mike Brown, an astronomer at Caltech who has found more planet-like objects in our outer solar system than anyone.

Just like this reporter, Brown gets a lot emails from peop
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I thought I'd bring this news artice to your attention as it gives a scientific view on the 2012 stuff.

I wonder why some people here still believe in something that has been completely debunked!

Before anyone uses this argument as a basis: that Science says aliens doesn't exist. That's simply not true! Science says we don't have sufficient scientific evidence that aliens are visiting such as physical evidence which would be proof, although scientists are certain alien life would exist elsewhere in the universe and are only unsure of them travelling here due to great distances.

Now back to 2012 stuff, I expect comments in favour of 2012 to say "look the world is self-destructing around us with new wars on the horizon". Well my generic response to that is "even if we do have world war 3 this year, next year, in 2012 or 2014 or whatever, that is "not" proof that the world will end.

Firstly even if humans could destroy the Earth, which nuclear weapons cannot (they can wipe out all humans though around 11 times and presumably most animal and plant life temporarily until evolution means adaptations!), it is still false logic to assume we have connection between one wild prophecy which the Mayans did not actually say(as it's just the end of their calender; nowhere did they say the Earth was ending; and dodgy sites promote silly lies to scare people about this) and some other events taking place today.

I would be willing to say that if the world did end somehow in 2012, it's highly likely that it's a complete coincidence that the Mayan calender finished when this world ending event took place. Unless anyone could prove a connection between the Mayan calender and future events, which would require proving time travel, seeing into the future or prophesising, which nobody yet has proven!

The power of suggestion may also influence, for example, all these adverts you see of Nostradamus WW3 predictions which originally were 2006-2012, and now updated to 2009-2012, have led many to believe we are always on the verge of WW3, and hence many people post messages in forums etc.

Also we have people such as Hal Turner writing made up stories about N.Korea that could provoke unstable world leaders. I mean Kim Jong-Il is saying "the US wants to nuke us", and Turner is writing stories saying "the US plans to nuke N.Korea", and even his most recent work of fiction states that the US is ready to finish off N.Korea and have sent an aircraft carrier to do the job!

This paranoia in itself can change world opinions and mentality, and in effect bring about a life changing or even life ending events, which in effect is a chain reaction or run-away effect due to those who believe in 2012 stuff to continue the cycle of paranoia.

So in essence, just suggesting a prophecy such as 2012 may happen, could inadvertently bring about what they fear in some form, although maybe not the pole shift.

Don't worry, I'm not laying any blame down or anything like that, just wanted people to look at this from a different perspective.

I've seen the trailer for the new film on 2012, I have to say the film looks amazing! But there's not one shred of evidence to suggest that the poles will change and the plates will flip over, unless they are allowed to break known laws of Physics.

I have to say though it made me think about it for a while - and a nice idea for a film! Although this will scare many less educated people.

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-6-2009 by john124]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Assuming science has the answer to the future is assuming humans don't have ego. Science and conspiracies don't go to well, especially with something that is yet to come. It's just like the God argument IMO, science just can't confirm or deny it, so they shouldn't try. Also, this article fails to debunk the millions of conspiracies surrounding 2012.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by TravisYah]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
its not just that , i have heard and read that ppl have doen suicides of this, it has actualy doen so much harm, towards teh humanrace, this si a bad hoax and we all got to thank this stizin guy or what ever hes name is for bringing the tale of an Summerian legend to life, why not jus let this be allreay there is no Nibiru or no end of the world coming,

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravisYah
Assuming science has the answer to the future is assuming humans don't have ego. Science and conspiracies don't go to well, especially with something that is yet to come. It's just like the God argument IMO, science just can't confirm or deny it, so they shouldn't try. Also, this article fails to debunk the millions of conspiracies surrounding 2012.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by TravisYah]

Science does not have the answer to everything, but just like with religions, that does not mean either religions or conspiracy theories are the only other possible answer. Especially when these many conspiracies (which you say numbers in the millions) have just been made up using false logic.

If we can't prove a pole shift is possible using Physics and Maths, that does not mean it is impossible. But it says it's highly unlikely. That is fairly sound logic.

We can make future decisions on fantasies and flying spaghetti monsters, it would be madness to do so!

And as someone has said believing in world ending conspiracies have caused many unncecessary suicidies, that could have been prevented had someone explained to them how to use a bit of critical thinking.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I just love how this guy says it is a "hoax" website. It's a promo site for sony's new movie "2012". It's slick and professional because it's done by professionals hehe. Took me all of 2 seconds to find a piece of text that tells me it's a fake site. However, I can see how the average Joe that doesn't go to the movies or watch TV can think it's real. The TV ads for this movie are all over the place. None of them link to that viral marketing site. It really is well done....

Institute for Human Continuity

The name of the site sets me off. I mean seriously an IHC? That could only be a fictional organization

Nice post, star for you!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I think the biggest flaw of the whole 2012 thing for me is the notion that on December 21/2012 the planets in our solar system will line up with the galactic centre of our galaxy and cause massive destruction here on Earth. Doesn't this alignment happen EVERY year at the same time?

As for wars etc. I can only say this. We don't learn from our history so we are doomed to repeat it.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TravisYah

Also I don't think using critical thinking has anything to do with ego.

It's definitely false logic to assume that because science cannot prove or disprove something in many circumstances, eg. religions and god, then the correct answer is the only other one on the table at the moment - which as a theory on it's own has no solid foundations, and consists only of a belief, that is just a guess.

There is also many confusions surrounding what Einstein called 'theories', e.g. theory of relativity etc. Even though these are called theories by name, by nature they have been proven accurate by many different experiments. I know scientists could be more helpful by naming things better, that is something they aren't often good at.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sliick
I just love how this guy says it is a "hoax" website. It's a promo site for sony's new movie "2012". It's slick and professional because it's done by professionals hehe. Took me all of 2 seconds to find a piece of text that tells me it's a fake site. However, I can see how the average Joe that doesn't go to the movies or watch TV can think it's real. The TV ads for this movie are all over the place. None of them link to that viral marketing site. It really is well done....

Institute for Human Continuity

The name of the site sets me off. I mean seriously an IHC? That could only be a fictional organization

Nice post, star for you!

Yes that's true
although there are lots of other 2012 promoting sites and forums that I referred to, and my other points and the points on the livescience site in the first half are still all valid.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Bah, the world is NOT going to end- This is disinformation.

Instead, the world as we know it will change. Billions may end up dead but it's only because they were not prepared. Those who are prepared to live off the grid in a wide range of environmental conditions, likely will.

Humans (Homo Sapien, specifically) have been around for 200,000 years, but we only have about 6000 years of very basic illustrations and only about 2500 years of coherent recorded history.

Does this not strike as 'odd' to anybody?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think hoaxes like this latest Sony marketing campaign are healthy for society: It demonstrates to the people who fall for it how easy it is to trick them.

After these people get fooled some of them will become more skeptical and media savvy.

If we are always "protecting" people then the only ones who will fool us are the The Powers That Be, and that's dangerous.

Anyways, I'm just glad I have a spot reserved for me one of the IHC Noah fleet ships when the end happens in 2012. See you suckers later!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Bah, the world is NOT going to end- This is disinformation.

Instead, the world as we know it will change. Billions may end up dead but it's only because they were not prepared. Those who are prepared to live off the grid in a wide range of environmental conditions, likely will.

Humans (Homo Sapien, specifically) have been around for 200,000 years, but we only have about 6000 years of very basic illustrations and only about 2500 years of coherent recorded history.

Does this not strike as 'odd' to anybody?

So you're saying that human civilisation every 2500-6000 years goes backwards due to messing up its environment, and takes a while to recover?

But if that's the case and we got to this point before where's the infrastructure that we built in past cycles during the past 200,000 years.

And we only find primitive tools from beyond a certain time, which indicate humans have been primitive for most of the time until quite recently.

Although I do think over billions of years it may be possible there there have been unknown species - some possibly advanced that were around; and there fossils, infrastructure, buildings etc that they built have been destroyed by the tectonic conveyor belt that cleanses the surface of the Earth, turns it molten, and brings new molten rock to the surface. This would remove all records of the past from way back.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
I think hoaxes like this latest Sony marketing campaign are healthy for society: It demonstrates to the people who fall for it how easy it is to trick them.

After these people get fooled some of them will become more skeptical and media savvy.

If we are always "protecting" people then the only ones who will fool us are the The Powers That Be, and that's dangerous.

Anyways, I'm just glad I have a spot reserved for me one of the IHC Noah fleet ships when the end happens in 2012. See you suckers later!!!

Yes but people don't learn, they believe in all kinds of stuff and don't see it being the same bad logic.

For example they will laugh at possibility of aliens landing, and then claim god exists, and then say the world is ending in 2012, and link it to religious texts which could be interpreted in all kinds of ways. And then have mass-suicides the day before the world is supposed to end. People can be really stupid, and giving them more reasons to be fooled only increases that.

I do hope that there are those who do learn though, but from what we've seen from human nature a great many do not.

I keep finding reports in India of people staring at the sun to see the virgin mary as some religious cleric suggested he had seen her. We get this same really stupid mistakes made over and over again by uneducated people, that don't realise each time they are making different variations of the same mistake.

I think educated people have a responsiblility to help prevent this unnecessary harm and deaths by educating people. Prevention rather than learning by pain, presuming some do actually learn!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I remember reading how back in '03 when Nibiru was supposed to be around, people were selling their houses and moving into national parks.
Similar things happened around 2000, fellow who used to live next door to my grandparents, his wife bought as many rounds of shotgun shells she could get her hands on.

When she found out she had bought the wrong gauge for his gun, she went back out and bought another gun for those shells, and as many shells as she could find for his gun.

I think if some people didn't have something to look for (Like Blossom Goodchild's performance) didn't have something to look forward to, they'd go stir crazy here and now, instead of some far off date.

It's easier to put up with the daily grind if you expect it to end suddenly. ~shrug

So far, from what I've picked up, we have a war, rouge planet/solar system/dwarf star/ect. heading for us, complete collapse of the world's economy, and the more US centric ones in regards to a Civil War, UFO disclosure, ect.

And then there's events like the "awakening" or what have you.

My personal predictions for 2012:
I will have my first degree black belt.
I will probably have a new truck.
Probably still be working at the same semi crappy job.
Still not sleeping enough.
If I'm still with my girlfriend at that point, she'll probably kill me for not remembering our 3 year anniversary.
Thus, my world ends.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Sadly, the author is correct. The uneducated are going to worry about this and as was mentioned, there may even be suicides over this.

One has to be crazy to believe this stuff. Nothing is going to happen. We've had so many end of the world dates that this one should be ignored like the others.

I hope all the posters here who have been going on and on about 2012 will cease posting when Dec 21/12 comes and nothing happens. Then they'll come of with reasons why nothing happened on that day, and will pick another date in the future as the new date. And when that date comes and goes, they'll pick another one.

I think a good portion of the "believers" on this site are actually fully aware that nothing is going to happen but like to stir the pot here. The scary thing is that it leaves a lot of posters who still believe this crap.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Of course its fake.The only people who will be happy will be thoses people who own survivslist shops and supermarkets.People will panic and buy up big on food,water ,guns ammo and other survival items.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124

I've seen the trailer for the new film on 2012, I have to say the film looks amazing! But there's not one shred of evidence to suggest that the poles will change and the plates will flip over, unless they are allowed to break known laws of Physics.

Pole shift is nothing new if you've been following science long before 2012 predictions. And this is possible even by physics, I suggest you research some of Albert Einstein's work, he predicted this to happen too.

new topics

top topics

join