It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama:You must serve the government, not vice verca.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I think that it is more accurate to say that the government is facilitating community service.

There is nothing wrong with this.

The only purpose is to bring people together who have similar interests and to help people who wish to realize their own initiatives.

I see no reason whatsoever to malign this effort.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Not a bad idea, however I see this a a propaganda piece by the Obamas.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Why would a government want their supporters to be closer together, organized, and working to propagate their beliefs and ways stronger together? Especially AFTER an election.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by Gorman91]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I dont really think the government is there to SERVE me. I think they were meant to be there just to create a common alliance to defend and protect each other.

They were never meant to feed us or give us healthcare or any of that kind of stuff.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brad Slack

Hey Brad, interesting story. You shou;d give its own thread rather than posting it in a thread about serving your country.

As for the topic on hand, I think people should realize that all of us together are America. We are all part of the collective. By serving America we are actually just serving ourselves. Simply forking over money to meet your part of the commitment is one of the reasons we are in such a pinch at the moment. I am all in favor of required service.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

Well that isn't serving. That's providing a safety web, of sorts. When we talk of serve, we talk of the meaning as defined in the 1700s. To protect us from outside influences that cause destruction and provide a kind of world within a world for the American people to exist in freedom in. This is what I call a "shell policy. The government in our shell. We will eat up whatever is delicious from the outside (immigrants), but we will digest them to our needs (melting pot), taking only the best of what we eat.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
My American Friends,

Do not ask or question what your government can do for you, but ask yourself, what can I do more for my government?

Higher taxers perhaps?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Wow, you guys have really overlooked this. The message is that we should help each other out, instead of sitting on our asses and expecting things to happen. If there is something we want or need done, we have to work to achieve it. There is nothing wrong with volunteering our time to help our communities and our neighbors.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

reply to post by PieKeeper

Again, yes. But why would the government want to reach out and organize these people under their watch, on their own website. Why not just say it;s good to do and end it at that? The fact that they opening up a government website and encouraged organization under the federal government's watch shows they simply want to expand their power over these people.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadbang
While not a huge fan of either of the Obamas...to me this sounds like the speech that JFK gave at his inauguration...

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."

Well remember now, was it not the media that essentially dubbed President Obama "The Next AL/FDR/JFK" and so on? He has already engaged in his "Fireside" YouTube Chats (FDR), so why not forge his JFK side now with the "Service" and "Moon Mission" speeches? I wonder if he will soon deliver a "NEW" Emancipation Proclamation in Lincolnesque fashion, because it would honestly not surprise me in the least.

Truth be told, although our Government DOES serve US, we in fact have become far too reliant upon it for everyday functions.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

That's the problem. The more defendant, the less free.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by aorAki

Because telling people to work purely on their good will by order of the government is communism. Doing it on your free will is good and kind, but once the government says you have to do it FOR THEM, it is communism.
]

Oooooo, evil Communism,...sure is a lot worse than that god-given right: Capitalism 0.o

I never saw anywhere in that clip mention of this being compulsory. It's just a good suggestion to try and create a bit more community.

But I get it, you've worked hard all your life for what you have and you don't want to share, even if it is for a good cause and for your fellow 'Americans'.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

No. I volunteer. What I'm saying is that the government is creeping into areas it's never been in before. The only reason they would create a website for organizing this is for power. Th government does not pay for something like servers purely on the good will to promote good morals. It is a simple rule, government exists to expand itself, and people exist to stop it. Communism is the perfect system. it's basically Christianity without a God. However, it is against human nature.

Whatever the government creeps into, it inevitable takes control of. I do NOT want the government in control of volunteer services other than the army and similar things.

obama wants a civilian army force under his control. How else to begin this other than through looking like doing something good. At least Bush was too dumb to realize this.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
She has the nerve to call people to serve a corrupt system that was corrupt from the start. Obama is gradually leading us into communism and nobody cares

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I can only conclude that not only have you misinterpreted the intent of Mrs. Obama's message, but also that you lack a basic understanding of the concept of volunteerism.

As I stated, this is a concept as old as our Republic and extends into antiquity.

That the government would encourage such action and go even further to facilitate such is exactly the function that government should have.

I'm sorry that this is lost on you and so many of our members.

I would note also that the vast majority of the staff of ATS are volunteers who do so to benefit this community of internet users.

You voluntarily provide content for this community.

ATS is a hotbed of community volunteerism.

The main reason the government now has a website promoting volunteerism is because the internet is now almost universally available, something that was not true when GHW Bush initiated his "Thousand Points of Light" campaign.

[edit on 2009/6/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
so she an expert in politics now,preaching to us,because she slept with the guy.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by pauldamo

More so than you I would wager.

I really can't understand why people are so against this when it can have positive benefits such as building safer and closer communities.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I always contribute. . . . .

. . . . . . to global warming!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I waited for her to tell me that I was to serve the government.

And waited.

And waited.

And it never came.

You're a political troll. Why the hell did you waste our time with this thread? What are you, twelve?

And people say the IQ of this forum isn't falling...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I have spent more time in the service of my country than both Obamas' combined.

I have always paid my taxes, which is more that could be said for half of his administration.

And they want ME to pay more, give more.

-I just barfed a little bit in my mouth!!-

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join