It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Blast Radius of your City ! -Must see

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
So, basically, when they say the asteroid is upon us i have to move to South Africa?

With their crime rate?

Options?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by thedman

Yep if i was there and within 1/2 mile i'd rather die in the actual blast at least it's quick as it should just evaporate you....i think thats what it does...

ok i'm gonna hold up in a hillside cave....

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Awesome find! I have been wanting that info, but I haven't taken the time to find it! I found out I am in the sunburn range for everything but the largest Nuke and the Asteroid! Assuming they struck the Capital Building downtown. I suspect that is where they would aim.

Star and Flag!

Of course they may leave the gov't intact so we'd be stuck with them and a nuclear fallout problem.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
What the heck for?

Going for total planetary destruction on a biblical scale are we?

[edit on 22-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

Nope. I'm just outside the outside circle. So I'm OK unless it's bigger than the largest yield.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
kinda cool but very depressing i try not to plan on disaster but "its so interesting"!!!i already sent link out but its not that great doesnt take into acount for topograghy??

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Star and flag for you!

Thanks to that link, I now know that im safe from a nuclear attack on Richmond or D.C. However, I have a feeling I wont be surviving an asteriod impact

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
OMG ! thx you guys for posting these !! I've been litterly looking for them for the last 3 years~! I've seen them before but couldn't remember where the exact site was!

S&F for sure!!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
I like this simulator alot better:

meyerweb.com...

How do I input the long and lat into the map? I thought where was a way but it might be locked down to a specific metropolis...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JScytale

Originally posted by XXXN3O
reply to post by SharkBait

I checked this out and im pretty surprised.

I was always under the impression that nukes covered far more ground.

Looks like id be fine from initial blasts from any city near me unless it was an asteroid, then id be toast.

Its the fallout thats the worst part anyways is it not?

from the looks of the map, it is severely underestimating the destructive power of a nuke or its only the "everything in here got vaporized by the fireball" radius and not the shock wave.

not to mention, yes, fallout is by far the worst part and it covers a huge area. look at the puny little circle the tsar bomba (50MT) draws on the map, then bear in mind it could cause third degree burns at 100km and caused damage 1000km away (the tsar bomba shattered windows in finland).

the fireball *alone* was 8km wide, and the resulting mushroom cloud was 64km tall and 40km wide. now factor in high-altitude winds and that fallout plume is covering a *massive* area. you wouldn't want to be on the *coast* one went off on.

Nope, the circle look pretty accurate to me, not underestimated. The outer blast circle Fits well with the damage radius for an overpressure of 0.5 psi, which is enough to break 50% of windows, and not much else.

And again, there are NO bombs currently in service of anywhere near the magnitude of the Tsar Bomba. It was a test, it was only a test. A huge explosion, but not enough bang for the buck, and uncontrollable.

Fallout is a problem, but not an unmanageable one. Can't really predict where it is until the actual explosion, but it also steadily decreases over time.

Thermal radiation: the color and texture of the material it hits has an effect on the absorption/flammability. for example, a black piece of paper will burst into flame at a far greater distance than a white sheet of paper from thermal radiation, because the black paper absorbs more of the thermal energy, and the white paper reflects more of it. The thermal radii are measured in calories delicvered at that distance, not damage ability, which is affected by several other factors, such as albedo of the recieving material, and weather conditions (it doesn't transmit as effectively through fog, haze, rain, etc.).

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by davedat2

There is a good chance that an astroid will hit water- The world being much more water than land. this would surely reduce the Impact field but hit a wider coastal area range.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
nice thread

if liverpool was nuked, i will be safe, unless its a meteor or a tsar bomb.

either way

the link was very interesting

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Here is some info on the 2nd WW Nukes.

In both cities the blast totally destroyed everything within a radius of 1 mile from the center of explosion, except for certain reinforced concrete frames as noted above. The atomic explosion almost completely destroyed Hiroshima's identity as a city. Over a fourth of the population was killed in one stroke and an additional fourth seriously injured, so that even if there had been no damage to structures and installations the normal city life would still have been completely shattered. Nearly everything was heavily damaged up to a radius of 3 miles from the blast, and beyond this distance damage, although comparatively light, extended for several more miles. Glass was broken up to 12 miles.

In Nagasaki, a smaller area of the city was actually destroyed than in Hiroshima, because the hills which enclosed the target area restricted the spread of the great blast; but careful examination of the effects of the explosion gave evidence of even greater blast effects than in Hiroshima. Total destruction spread over an area of about 3 square miles. Over a third of the 50,000 buildings in the target area of Nagasaki were destroyed or seriously damaged. The complete destruction of the huge steel works and the torpedo plant was especially impressive. The steel frames of all buildings within a mile of the explosion were pushed away, as by a giant hand, from the point of detonation. The badly burned area extended for 3 miles in length. The hillsides up to a radius of 8,000 feet were scorched, giving them an autumnal appearance.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

The problem would still be flash fire as it enters the atmosphere depending on its size, and its burst if it explodes in the air. Also, hypercanes.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
all the people saying "if an asteroid hit id have to move to ___", bear in mind the amount of dust kicked into the atmosphere would stop sunlight from punching through and kill almost all plant life on earth and as a result, almost all life. That includes 100% of humans.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SharkBait
www.carloslabs.com...

This is a kinda sick site- but if you go onto the site type your city name , then at the Bottom select the type of weapon and then just right of that press Nuke it!

Like i was saying "sick" but maybe might save your life if you have Knowledge of where not to be.

Don't forget to flag me if you like this

I`ll flag your ass alright.

In the case of massive nuclear war you are screwed nomatter where you live. The radioactive fallout will take care of that.

What is all this crap about "be safe" and #.

Bro, your post is devoid of any real value other than entertainment, and worse, it. promotes a mindset of fear and doom.

Stuff like this keeps popping up everywherre, 2012, aliens, now this nuke baloney, and invariably right after the first post come the chearleaders "wow great info, thanks for the contribution...".

Even of youtube you can see this on the comments.

I have a suspicion that theese kinds of posters are intentional panick spreaders (some are very obvious).

Theese doom mongers can be spoted right away - if you use your brain to think for yourself, and dont accept all the crap they serve you on a silver platter that is... which is kindof rare theese days.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by randomguy]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SharkBait
www.carloslabs.com...

This is a kinda sick site- but if you go onto the site type your city name , then at the Bottom select the type of weapon and then just right of that press Nuke it!

Like i was saying "sick" but maybe might save your life if you have Knowledge of where not to be.

Don't forget to flag me if you like this

I AM SO SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even a fatman can kill me.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomguy

I`ll flag your ass alright.

In the case of massive nuclear war you are screwed nomatter where you live. The radioactive fallout will take care of that.

That is incorrect, and as a matter of fact, sounds EXACTLY like the no-nuke doom and gloomers of the 80's that led me to find out the facts for myself.

What is all this crap about "be safe" and #.

Bro, your post is devoid of any real value other than entertainment, and worse, it. promotes a mindset of fear and doom.

How is wishing saftey on others, and posting information that could save a life that was otherwise unprepared, promoting a 'mindset of fear and doom'?
To be honest, I can see how your statement above about being "screwed no matter where you are" would promote exactly that.

WHO'S the 'doom and gloomer' again?

I have a suspicion that theese kinds of posters are intentional panick spreaders (some are very obvious).

Theese doom mongers can be spoted right away - if you use your brain to think for yourself, and dont accept all the crap they serve you on a silver platter that is... which is kindof rare theese days.

Again, who? the OP, or YOU?

And thanks. I DIDN'T just accept the 'crap' that you're handing out. I rejected it YEARS ago, did my own research into the matter, used my brain, thought for myself, and reached my own conclusions.

Where's your support for your statement? Mine can be found by beginning with a book written by the bomb makers themselves, called "The Effects of Nuclear Weapons". Look it up, track down the references, and enlighten yourself.

THEN get back to me about how I can't think for myself.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I think we're all forgetting that a terrorist nuke could have far more horrifying consequences than we all think.

Remember where the bomb will most likely be detonated: a ground level. As such, while the initial damage may be more limited compared to an air burst (ICBM's programmed to destroy cities usually detonated their 1 MT warheads at about 10,000 feet above the ground), a ground-level burst will throw up a HUGE amount of highly-radioactive debris into the air as fallout, and as such we could see deadly amounts of fallout spread as far as 40-50 miles downwind. For example, a 1 kT "improvised nuclear device" detonated at ground level will throw up thousands of tons of lethal fallout, and we could have mass casualties 40-50 miles downwind from fallout radiation effects.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

I live in northern Houston. If this script were correct, I too am safe from everything except the 50mt bomb (and asteroid, obviously), assuming it struck downtown Houston.

However, that is just according to this script. On the website it says the script does not factor in terrain and the height of the explosion, and I am assuming it does not factor in winds either. So you and I are not necessarily safe, unfortunately.

reply to post by SLAYER69

It's funny how weak humans look compared to what the universe/nature (I'm atheist) can dish out. We parade around with our little toys like we're tough #, but our strongest weapon can't even destroy a major city.

We're over-matched. Perhaps we should stop polluting. Karma can be a real bitch.

Funny stuff! Here's to hoping an asteroid hits!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this, It a relief for me because the closest city to me is Cleveland, OH (30mins away) and it would take the Tzar Bomba to hit my House! Modern nukes are nowhere near that big.

I was honestly shocked by how small the blast radius acually is on these nukes.

If WW3 broke out, I'd probally live. Then I break out the AK and camp at my house.

I don't read these things, But They would only nuke major cities right? They don't have every square inch of the country targeted in some manner do they?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join