It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Blast Radius of your City ! -Must see

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here but don't ICBM's rain multiple warheads on there targets like 3 to 7 warheads per missile? So that calculator maybe next to useless

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Well look at those interesting sites. The bombs are one thing and bad enough but check out the Asteroid effect. That makes the bombs look minor. The asteroid hit is unreal. Wipes out USA, most of Canada, Mexico and the top of S. America.
I can't imagine that much damage from a asteroid. How can this be??

China can have what's left....

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SharkBait

Me too. Just think, if Houston was nuked, the prevailing winds would carry the fallout to east Texas and Louisiana. On the down side, I'd probably be at work in Houston when the thing hit.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
One thing to keep in mind is that calculator assumes the bomb will hit at whatever point Google Maps considers to be the center of town. The real likely target would be the industrial parts of your town, so when you're looking at that map you need to imagine the same sized circles centered around the selected town's industrial district.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
After I looked at these sites I got to thinking if a person or group really got hold of a bomb like these and set it off. We thought that 9/11 was bad. That would be nothing compared to a nuke.
I wonder if the USA could recover from that damage and tens of thousands of people .....gone in a instant. Japan did but the nukes are worse now.
Really.... take a minute to think on this perhaps real possibility.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Its not going to be tens of thousands if they hit New York city-Some 10 Million people work in New York city each day, Now depending on the size of a Blast and which part of NYC its detonated that figure could more likely be 2-5 Million.

There is some 18 Million people in the New York surrounding areas, Fall out could take that number to over 10 Million effected. NOT COOL.

It would crash our stock market which means the “little” Financial crisis we just had would seem like nothing in the bigger scheme of things.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This may sound weird -- but this is a refreshing tool to use. If "they" nuke the Barksdale AFB, which is a 10 minute drive from my house, I will be perfectly safe
Unless the Russians drop their Tsar Bomba, that is.

Anything under ~20 megatons and i'll be alright

Nice to know

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
thank you so much bro, i have BEEN wondering about this...needless to say i would be pretty much killed in any of those scenarios lol
(i live near los angeles)

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SharkBaitIt would crash our stock market which means the “little” Financial crisis we just had would seem like nothing in the bigger scheme of things.

They would freeze the markets for days, possibly weeks. So I don't think it would crash the economy. People would just say "wtf, what do we do now?"

The president would probably declare martial law and put a nation wide curfew into effect for a few days. (Just a guess)

After 9/11 they froze the markets, so you would expect them to freeze them after a nuke attack. Also, the NYSE has a built in circuit breaker that shuts the NYSE down for a period of time in the event of a fevered sell off:

On the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), one type of trading curb is referred to as a "circuit breaker." These limits were put in place after Black Monday in order to reduce market volatility and massive panic sell-offs, giving traders time to reconsider their transactions.

At the start of each quarter, the NYSE sets three circuit breaker levels at levels of 10%, 20%, and 30% of the average closing price of the Dow Jones Industrial Average for the month preceding the start of the quarter, rounded to the nearest 50-point interval. As of the first quarter of 2009, these levels are 850 points, 1,700 points, and 2,600 points respectively. Depending on the point drop that happens and the time of day when it happens, different actions occur automatically:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

The real mortality rates would start to accumulate when people outside the blast zone area die from fallout exposure or from sudden onset of cancer and leukemia. It would probably take about 18 months to begin calculating the correct figure.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well I just tried to nuke my little town....and it was gone.
Every bomb wiped it off the map!
Kind of funny. I wonder what effect mountains would have on a nuclear blast?

The meteor one...took out all of southeast alaska!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Don't forget to flag me if you like this

I'll Flag It Anyways...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
For those with Microsoft Excel (or equivalent program) or calculator able to
do partial exponents can use this program to calculate lethal damage radius

Here are formula for calculating lethal blast radius for nuclear weapons

y=yield (in tons)/2500

Thermal (3rd deg burn) - Y^.41 (radius in meters)
Blast (4.6 psi overpress) - Y^.33
Radiation (500 rem) - Y^.19

Below are results for 1 kiloton (1000 ton) yield

Thermal 687 meters
3rd deg flash burn

Blast 739 meters
4.6psi blast force

Radiation 840 meters
Lethal 500 rem

Can see even for this relatively small nuclear weapon anybody in open
within 1/2 mile is screwed!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
OK, newb question. I used the highest yield nuke. An asteroid? We're all pooched.
Is there a higher yield than what's in this test?

What the heck for?

Going for total planetary destruction on a biblical scale are we?

[edit on 22-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Yea, I guess if an asteroid hits anywhere in the contiguous (sp?)US we are all straight screwed.... So other than that it would be bad but not ANYTHING like the asteroid. I am anxious to see what the color scheme is and how it relates to to the bombs effects. (Sorry if this has been addressed already but I am not going to go through the entire thread)

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Why would china bomb the U.S., They given eminent domain over our

property????

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Reply to intrepid

LOL, yea I have a 100 gigaplanck antimatter/quantum vacuum bomb formula to plug in, yea it would pretty much vaporize a 500 AU radius.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Just a wild guess, but if one were to go off...the amount of traffic on ATS just might require Intrepid to go into some sort of super heavy-handed mod stance. Kind of the old "nuke it for orbit, just to be sure" sort of a thing. Besides, anything can be bought for the right price and few beers thrown in to sweeten the deal.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

It's bad enough that the Asteroid would eradicate all forms of life on Earth. He wants to blow the damn thing to bits just for good measure.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Ugh... I'm screwed whatever happens. If it's a suitcase nuke, I'll be alright, but if it's anything over that there will be certainly be radioactive rain up my way, north of Boston where the prevailing wind blows.

This is somewhat disturbing but also enlightening at the same time, just shows you how close we all are to destruction.

also: the Tsar Bomba is one nasty son of a bitch.... wow... how many of those do the Russians still have?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join