It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we see ETs as carbon, and water-based life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I mean they could be silicon, or even gold-based life.

Like this picture here shows an example of a silicon based life form (what it may look like)

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Bob Lazar stated that the EBEs he back engineered the tech from were silicon based rather than carbon. He said that although they were humanoid, the way their bodies worked was more like plants than human. Also, Mr. "X" from Project Camelot (now deceased) had said the same thing.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
or how about ets that arent even material beings.... ets that are etherical.... no one should assume anything history has always proven that those that assume are almost always wrong

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Humanity prefer to see aliens as bi pedal humanoid carbon based or water based entities because they can relate best to entities similar to themselves in appearance and behavior. I would think there would indeed be silicon based aliens in the universe. I know that there bio-cybernetic aliens that exist naturally due their planetary atmosphere and environment they live in. There are plenty of sentient alien beings that humanity would probably shrug off as a lower life form due their current preconceived ideas and perceptions of what they class as intelligent and normal. I actually hope that that humanity does get disclosure. Not just from from intelligent aliens that they are aware of, but also from other alien species. That do not fit neatly into the perceptions of what humanity expects an alien to be, either in appearance or intelligence.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
check out my topic, on a subject just like this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Deus Ex Machina 42

aha Plasma beings, Energy beings, Etheric beings(interdeimsnional beings) these are not from our dimension but they do excist, well who said humoinds was the only living form of entity

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Alot of it is arrogance and assumption. The problem with science is that they don't leave a lot of room for speculation in a lot of places. See, we only know of carbon based life so we assume all life is carbon based and needs water to survive; this assumption, while faulty, is very common.

Another assumption is that all life must have cells and DNA, and as someone mentioned earlier, that notion could be overturned with the discovery of non-material beings.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Alot of it is arrogance and assumption. The problem with science is that they don't leave a lot of room for speculation in a lot of places. See, we only know of carbon based life so we assume all life is carbon based and needs water to survive; this assumption, while faulty, is very common.

Another assumption is that all life must have cells and DNA, and as someone mentioned earlier, that notion could be overturned with the discovery of non-material beings.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
You may be right. According to this crop "circle", the ones who contacted us are carbon and silica based:

Of course, their could be varying make ups but the ones who sent us this are this way.

My boyfriend and I were talking about this and he said to me that most scientists agree that if there were other life forms out there and they weren't carbon based, the only other possibility (in their minds) would be silica based.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

well , he has a good point

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot

I agree, science shouldn't assume too much. I liked the star Trek episode where they found a silicon life form on a planet they thought was "lifeless" and were getting ready to terraform, that was a good illustration of how such assumptions can backfire.

While I wouldn't rule out silicon based life, or non-corporeal energy beings, or other alternatives, there actually are some reasons besides our natural bias to look for something similar to ourselves, that other life would be more likely to be carbon based. Carbon is somewhat unique regarding its bonding flexibility with other atoms, so based on this knowledge in chemistry, and not necessarily our bias, carbon-based life does seem at least as likely if not more likely than other forms of life. But I don't think that extends to cells and cell walls, there could be carbon based life completely different from our own which does not have the cellular structure, as suggested by Mr Headshot.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

there is very few EBE`S ETE`S what look as humans, and these are only calld humoinds , cuz we are basicly from the same race core, and the human scientists are still only kids, they cant grasp whos who in the ballroom of the galaxys

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watchdog-Finland

there is very few EBE`S ETE`S what look as humans, and these are only calld humoinds , cuz we are basicly from the same race core, and the human scientists are still only kids, they cant grasp whos who in the ballroom of the galaxys

If life evolved from scratch elsewhere it seems highly unlikely that a humanoid form would develop, so if there are other humanoid life forms it seems plausible the similarity would be the result of panspermia or exogenesis. We've certainly found chunks of mars on earth so that theory is not totally implausible. But beyond that, I agree, I would expect life which evolved elsewhere to be different in ways we might not even be able to imagine or expect right now.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Yeah, carbon is one of those special elements, it's pretty perfect for the formation of life as we know it.

I remember an x-files episode where they found a sulfur based life-form in a volcano. Of course, it was a mutated human

Extremophiles are still changing our opinions about life though, we're finding life in more and more extreme places. Our common opinion of extreme is rather modest in my opinion. Anything is possible.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shoomoo
I mean they could be silicon, or even gold-based life.

Like this picture here shows an example of a silicon based life form (what it may look like)

upload.wikimedia.org...

For the same reason that you see silicon based lifeforms as rock or crystal...

Carbon in its crystal form is diamond, yet we are soft flesh and blood... why would silicon be any different?

Now here is a 'being' made out of silicon..

Silicon rubber... its every where and its soft and pliable, though a little tougher than human skin. (forget what your thinking price tag is $6,000.00
)

Silicon and Carbon are in the same atomic structure group, which is where the idea of silicon based life came from in the fist place...

Gold having the atomic structure it has prevents it from combining with other molecules, hence its value and non tarnish characteristics and thus would be a poor candidate for life.

Now Plasma entities... those are likely enough... beings of pure energy, something we should become upon ascension. Do a google on Plasma Life Forms and you wil find much research

[edit on 23-6-2009 by zorgon]

new topics

top topics

join