It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stocks Slide as Global Economic Worries Rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Lowered expectations for the global economy are giving investors more to be wary about. Stocks are retreating after the World Bank predicted the global economy will shrink 2.9 percent in 2009.

is.gd...

I guess trillions of dollars weren't enough to plug the bottomless pit

IMHO, this week will see nothing but losses across the board for investments

[edit on 22-6-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Well that is because everything is nothing but an illusion, prosperity was nothing that smoke and mirrors, now that reality had set I think the markets will never be the same again, no matter how many bubbles are created.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Low oil price pushes markets dow

Stock markets have seen large falls as weaker oil and metal prices weighed on commodity stocks, and a World Bank report dampened sentiment.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Good time to buy in. I took a gamble on July X MON XLE CSCO GOLD calls earlier today.

Buying an index fund works reasonably well, too.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
I took a gamble on July X MON XLE CSCO GOLD calls earlier today.

It's musical chairs for the real players and farcical gambling for lemmings...

The dumb money is about to be monkey-hammered

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Maybe so but at the same time I just keep having this nagging feeling in the back of my head to buy more lol.

Reason being this is how overnight millionaires are made.

You stick with a good company stock and when the investors panic you invest for pennies on the dollar quite literally in today's stock swings.

In the end you either make a good chunk of change or the dollar is worth nothing anyways so it doesn't matter you lost it all and no one will accept the cash anyways.

I'm telling you guys it's a no lose situation. Here's what I've done and it's working like a charm.

I selected somewhat stable stocks, stocks I know if they bottom out it's pretty much the end of the dollar.

I then set a price and tell myself if this stock hits this price I'll buy whatever I can afford. I usually set the price pretty low and when it does or if it does I buy it. Chances are by the end of the day I make money. Then I write a price down after it makes a profit saying next time it hits this price I'll buy more. When it does I buy more and it always goes back up.

By using this method I have not lost any money to date of my total initial investments. Sure it goes up and down some days more drastic than the next but it seems to be working out pretty well.

Considering you can get stocks right now for under 5 a share heck some under a dollar but not too sure I would invest in those dollar ones anyone can just say aw screw it instead of going to the bar tonight I'll buy a few stocks. Best part is no hangover in the morning and you might actually be richer than the night before.

Before I buy anything though I do major research to see why it is low. Longest I spent looking into one company was 2 weeks because it was under a dollar too bad I didn't just get it at that price lol turned out to be a good deal but oh well.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

Sounds to me like you're having fun....nothing wrong with that...but if you took the same money and purchased "real" things with long term intrinsic value, you have ZERO probability of losing your entire investment, no matter what happens..

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I agree completely that the markets are about to see a big dip again. I have already adjusted my 401k to hopefully not take as much of a hit over the next bit of time.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Not a surprise really, I've been watching it and waiting for another plummet. One friend recently picked up some stocks that are already below profit now and probably will continue to fall; needless to say I've been reminding him that I told him it would happen.

Of course what good is all that possible money given that it has no real value other than as toilet paper or a napkin?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I really wouldn't be surprised to see the major markets recover before the end of the day...after all there is a ton of taxpayer money being used to hold them at these levels...the PPT has some powerful allies now...but no amount of intervention will stave off the inevitable correction of 50 to 80% from here in the long run..

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
States Turning to Last Resorts in Budget Crisis
www.nytimes.com...

Numbers On Welfare See Sharp Increase
online.wsj.com...

Budget crisis forces deep cuts at Calif. schools
apnews.myway.com...

Yes things are sure looking up, not.

new topics

top topics

join