It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A tribute to Neda and the sheer bravery & spirit of all Iranian women

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
To the people criticizing this post. You are missing the point, it's not really about one person, Neda. It's what she represents symbolically, i.e. the oppression of the people in Iran and their current struggle.

And how funny that some are calling this propaganda or manipulative or contrived. For the first time in history the people doing the actual protesting and defiance are the ones who are also doing the mainstream reporting via internet, youtube, twitter, and with cellphone cameras!

So now I guess they're (the people protesting in the streets of Iran) trying to manipulate us with some kind of propaganda? Wow. And by the way that video was released on the internet way before the main media started showing it in it's heavily censored form. We couldn't even see her face when TV media started showing it.

I just wanted to add that I am surprised by the anti-Iranian tone in this thread, as well as the misogynistic attitude.
No one's diminishing the struggles and atrocities in Iraq, or any other place.

So were feeble minded idiots because we're using the symbolism and imagery of what happened to that girl as a basis for broader understanding of what's happening there?

If it's a powerful symbol and it moves people towards a greater good why should it be unimportant or why do you need to diminish it?

[edit on 22-6-2009 by Electro38]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I don't see a revolution - just people protesting an election result
Were the council tax riots in Britain in 1990 a revolution? Over 100,000 people took to the streets and hundreds were hurt and hundreds arrested.....

[edit on 22-6-2009 by Curio]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Those middle east countries have been trashing women and their rights for centuries.

Why is it just now people are starting to care about it???

That's a not so smart question, honestly.

How about for one, media...and the fact that you could see it happening LIVE.

I also think it's because our impression on Iran. I know a lot of people are going to deny, but I guarantee a large percentage of people thought Iranian people were brainwashed followers of the current regime.

When people of the west started seeing the protests, they realized that these people are just like us. The new generation wants change. They witnessed the USA demand change and get it (No matter how worse or better it will become - and all conspiracies aside). We got the change we want...or thought we wanted.

The younger generation wants change. The difference is we are seeing Iranians FIGHT for change, peacefully and getting attacked and killed. Not to mention that Neda wasn't even protesting the time she was killed.

I lost my train of thought due to a important phone call so take this post for what it is LOL.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
does anybody wonder why we compare the death of iranians to death of iraqis? isn't that like some kind of subconscious racism? why wouldn't you compare the death of iranians to the death of chinese or russians? iranians and iraqis are two completely different cultures you shouldn't just automatically associate the two in your mind. ya racist bastards lol

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Those middle east countries have been trashing women and their rights for centuries.

Why is it just now people are starting to care about it???

That's a not so smart question, honestly.

How about for one, media...and the fact that you could see it happening LIVE.

I also think it's because our impression on Iran. I know a lot of people are going to deny, but I guarantee a large percentage of people thought Iranian people were brainwashed followers of the current regime.

When people of the west started seeing the protests, they realized that these people are just like us. The new generation wants change. They witnessed the USA demand change and get it (No matter how worse or better it will become - and all conspiracies aside). We got the change we want...or thought we wanted.

The younger generation wants change. The difference is we are seeing Iranians FIGHT for change, peacefully and getting attacked and killed. Not to mention that Neda wasn't even protesting the time she was killed.

I lost my train of thought due to a important phone call so take this post for what it is LOL.

Very well said, excellent points.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curio
Were the council tax riots in Britain in 1990 a revolution? Over 100,000 people took to the streets and hundreds were hurt and hundreds arrested.....

This is much more of a revolution than those because of how large the percentage of Iranians that are involved in this. At least 1 in 6 Iranians living in Tehran were at the protests last week which means well over 1 million people.
I don't think the UK government had to call in tanks and their elite combat units to put those down.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Thank you for sharing those photos with us. CNN showed the Neda video uncut a couple times last night, and looking into her eyes through the camera as she dies and the blood starts to pour from her mouth and nose is a very, very moving and dark thing. It makes me want to be there, it makes me want to bring a painful death to the coward who targeted and intentionally shot an unarmed woman in the heart.

To the one trick pony posters, who are unable to form any thoughts outside of blaming the US and Israel for everything, there are hundreds of other threads about just that. This is a thread honoring the women of Iran who are fighting for their freedoms, and a tribute to an unarmed woman who was murdered by her own government for trying to make her voice heard. It's a FAR stretch to compare unintended casualties caught in the middle of wars between armed factions, to the outright murder of unarmed citizens by their own government, simply for disagreeing. The same posters for a long time have been praising the Iranian regime, simply because they hate Israel and the US. Must suck to have your heroes exposed for what they really are in front of the world, and to see that they are indeed worse than the governments you hate the most.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe

Originally posted by Curio

This is much more of a revolution than those because of how large the percentage of Iranians that are involved in this. At least 1 in 6 Iranians living in Tehran were at the protests last week which means well over 1 million people.
I don't think the UK government had to call in tanks and their elite combat units to put those down.

It's also much more of a revolution due to what it is they're (Iranians) fighting for. It's a lot more than taxes...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by masonwatcher

:shk: Jeeeeeeeeze .. look at the video.
You look into her eyes as she dies for freedom.
It's VERY haunting.

You are a male muslim, right?
Islam isn't known for treating women very well.
You are that cold towards a womans death that you try to deflect
and bring in Israel as the bad guy, as you usually do, even with this?

Someone turn the heat up .... it's freezing cold in this thread.

She died involuntarily for the election result she objected to. Palestinians die for freedom when they face off a tank with a rock.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher
She died involuntarily for the election result she objected to. Palestinians die for freedom when they face off a tank with a rock.

No, i'm sure she died because of the pure hatred the extremist basiji a-hole felt for a woman who was speaking out against the will of the government. The bastard pig sucker took deliberate aim and shot her through the heart. It doesn't make it better or worse when an innocent Palestinian dies and if an Israeli soldier shoots an unarmed person on purpose, they deserve to burn in the very same hell. But it has nothing to do with this topic. I suspect, since another poster said you are a muslim and since you hate Israel so much that you also hate the idea of a woman speaking her mind. The Iranian youth are fighting against that backwards BS, and I support them 100%, and even wish I could stand beside them.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

The question still remains, what is the motivation behind this sudden and inflated concern over this matter for people who don't like the Iranian regime?

Like I said previously 100s of 1000s of people have died in the ME over the past 7 years and we recently recovered from the horrors of the Gaza atrocities but the death of one demonstrator has captured the imaginations of some including the usual Israeli apologist crowd.

I will tell you something, this lady ain't no Rachel Corrie.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I understand the point you are trying to make, I guess it boils down to the fact that the death of this woman is so closely filmed, that you feel as if you are there looking into her eyes as the life leaves her. It's an extremely graphic and powerful video, it's not just a bunch of words on a screen, which unfortunately after so much death in the world we as a species have become desensitized to. The video unlocks emotions we haven't felt in a long time, emotions that reading death tolls just doesn't bring out in the same way. I'm no Israel apologist, and I feel for the Palestinian people, but they demonize themselves (or allow themselves to be demonized) in a way by targeting innocent Israelis, even though they feel it's their only recourse. This situation is different also in that for once, instead of rallying against the west, they are rallying to be our friends, so you will naturally see more support for them from people in the west.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
She stands just as this picture did in 1989

When one man stood in front of a row of tanks and held them back.

It became a symbol of strength and show of human spirit in the most dire of circumstances.

Sometimes it takes these kind of images to spark and instill the fighting spirit in people.

I only hope and pray that what is happening in Iran now does not go the way the 1989 revolt did in China.

They were crushed and silenced.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by Darkblade71]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Before the media turns this into a fake father daughter moment...

It was not her father in the video.

Here is the true information

She was a 27-year old student, part time worker at a travel agency
The man in the blue and white shirt is her teacher, not father
Her father is nowhere in the video.

still sad though, just tired of seeing some father/daughter propaganda

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
"Have you ever seen a person die this dramatic under these circumstances in front of your eyes"

Yes I have and I am so glad there were no cameras rolling or their deaths could have also been made into a dark circus.

I respect your sentiments but beautiful and ugly people die all the time and it is sad that had this girl been a shriveled up prune, I sadly doubt you would have made such a fuss.

What a world

[edit on 22-6-2009 by Dissemination]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

We know that you try to turn every thread into your anti-Israeli rhetoric and that blame is never with Iran or Palestine.

The issue is not about only one woman. Its about the fight of Iranian women against oppression that has been ongoing by since decades.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38
To the people criticizing this post. You are missing the point, it's not really about one person, Neda. It's what she represents symbolically, i.e. the oppression of the people in Iran and their current struggle.

And how funny that some are calling this propaganda or manipulative or contrived. For the first time in history the people doing the actual protesting and defiance are the ones who are also doing the mainstream reporting via internet, youtube, twitter, and with cellphone cameras!

So now I guess they're (the people protesting in the streets of Iran) trying to manipulate us with some kind of propaganda? Wow. And by the way that video was released on the internet way before the main media started showing it in it's heavily censored form. We couldn't even see her face when TV media started showing it.

I just wanted to add that I am surprised by the anti-Iranian tone in this thread, as well as the misogynistic attitude.
No one's diminishing the struggles and atrocities in Iraq, or any other place.

So were feeble minded idiots because we're using the symbolism and imagery of what happened to that girl as a basis for broader understanding of what's happening there?

If it's a powerful symbol and it moves people towards a greater good why should it be unimportant or why do you need to diminish it?

[edit on 22-6-2009 by Electro38]

Fair enough. We are not disputing the need for an umbrella symbol to represent a movement. Many of our points are based on the question of "why does it always have to be a woman"? Men are being victimized in this world by the elites all the same, yet it seems that women are the only ones people seem to care about. This is an equality matter, no matter where you are in the world. Men are being overlooked as the symbols they should be as well. Why not have a symbol that covers men and women alike? Why just a woman? Ok so, alot of men are doing the oppressing over there,but they're the men of a tyranical government also. The men in the streets fight for equality and freedom. In the states, however men are getting looked over in droves, even forgotten. The male is the minority now and are oppressed by women these days and the favor they seem to be getting from government. I'm just saying, why not use this man as a symbol?Graphic Content- -Please do not open if squeemish to graphic images. This guy died the same as Neda, yet he lies in the street, not a martyr for his cause, but a carcas to be overlooked while a pretty female gets all the attention because of simply being a female. With all due respect to women, I am just a little tired of the double standard of women being victimized (the same as men) in this supposed equal world while they also get to scream "I am woman hear me roar"...are you a victim who should have the world pity you for every injustice that happens to a woman or are you the "lioness that roars" and don't need all of this extra attention and favor from government? Like someone said back a few posts, a million men can die and nothing, yet one woman dies and the world turns over on their ear. It just seems like when I look into the dictionary under 'equality', this will not be the representation or definition I will be reading about. Let's give some of the men credit over there as well, only then can we be assured that we are headed in the right direction concerning equality. I had better silence myself from any further posts though. I have heard of many on here actually losing their accounts for speaking out against feminism and against the ostensible hypocrisy of equality between men and women. On that note, I digress any further steps toward the line in the sand. I do, however, think the men over there need a little credit though as they are marching and dying right beside of the women.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by Phenomium]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

??

Sigh,

Want to know why women gets an ear? Ask yourself why a baby gets so much attention when its kidnapped or abused.

Both are made to be protected. Woman can 'roar' all they want. It's cool, but when its all said and done; they are still sensitive, nurturing women, no matter how much they try to hide their innate traits.

Men are men, we are made to protect, we are made to fight. It's our natural trait.

And this will never never never change. An innocent female getting killed will always have an added effect for the simple fact that men look at woman as the nurturers and the beings they should protect from such things, it will not change.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
BOY oh BOY

this was tribute to Neda, and the other woman of Iran who are taking part on the ground in a revolution of humanity over TPTB.
why does that upset some people. Get over it. Its not Man vs Woman. watch some videos on you tube, watch men and woman helping each other, watch men and woman dying, watch men and woman showing huge amounts of compassion in protecting their aggressors when they are out numbered...

Its about humanity and Neda has become a figure head over the internet in the peoples struggle to keep this event alive and the momentum going when all the MSM journalists are missing and the people themselves have had to become the Journalists.

That is the revolution here, the people with the aid of technology have the power to make their own story, they have to now, and they are. Neda is their symbol, not the MSM's. I have not seen her on television, not here anyway, not yet.

with their reporting from mobile phone video, twitter, facebook etc they are using the internet as their lifeline to the world and the world is responding.

This could not had happened a few years ago. This is an exciting time because you can take part even if you cant help physically you can think about your own rights and the way they can taken away and the ways that people around the world are finding other means to put them back.

For Neda to die while looking at us, filmed from a mobile phone, uploaded to the internet and spread through once meaningless social networking sites should mean something.

Don't think too much, if you feel shame for all the atrcoities in the world you couldn't help stop before, then realise this is now and now this is happening.

Go with the flow.

Or just ignore it like nothing is happening.

ok i feel better now. sorry for the rant.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
reply to post by Phenomium

??

Sigh,

Want to know why women gets an ear? Ask yourself why a baby gets so much attention when its kidnapped or abused.

Both are made to be protected. Woman can 'roar' all they want. It's cool, but when its all said and done; they are still sensitive, nurturing women, no matter how much they try to hide their innate traits.

Men are men, we are made to protect, we are made to fight. It's our natural trait.

And this will never never never change. An innocent female getting killed will always have an added effect for the simple fact that men look at woman as the nurturers and the beings they should protect from such things, it will not change.

Yes,......but at what cost? The inevitible oppression of men in the end for giving women power and the sword while we men turn into the subserviant ones? I'm sorry, but Hillary Clinton and Condi Rice as well as a myriad of other hardened women out there, I could only surmise, that you would need a jackhammer to get to their softer side. Unfortunatley, women are being trained these days NOT to nurture their softer side but to get away from it and to create a side that is harder than that of a man's nature. This is the new woman being created, not what we are all used to. So I ask you at what cost to all men will we continue to coddle and protect that which doesn't want coddling or protecting, but still loves to have that card to play when needed at our expense? Again, I may lose my account over this, simply for speaking against the favor of women over men these days but it will only validate my claims. That women are being protected and coddled while able to run roughshod over men with a sword provided by our governments. Men need an organisation of our own now, not to protect us from women, but from how government is using them to obscure our every thought, word and intrinsic value in life, indeed to oppress the fighters you speak of. Again, I thank the fallen men in Iran for their additions to the ideas of freedom for women and men. I recant any symbols (at all) that don't include men AND women as an equal. Who knows maybe I will start this organisation for protection of men myself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join