It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haunted Joplin: Peace church Cemetery.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tartarspoon

btw, I love a good ghost hunt also.

Do you live anywhere near Arkansas? Perhaps we can shake the spooks out of someplace, someday.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Hey mrwupy! I also use to live in Jo Mo. I have been to the "Spooklight" and have seen it, and it also use to float up to cars, and also it ended up in the woods next to us. Kinda "spooky", but fun. Been going since the late sixties, early seventies (parkin, ya know), but it seems to have dimmed since then. The best time to go according to the old timers, is after a good rain or thunderstorm. I had a friend so scared of it, we had to leave!!
I didn't want to, because I was use to it, but it just scared the livin daylights out of her!!
Anyway, it is real, but I moved from there in 2006 and went there again before I left, and it was still there, but like I said, it seems not as bright as it use to be!!

Jerry Wills has a some film on it on his website that has been on the Kevin Smith show regularly, I'll give you the link when I am done here. But yeah, go check it out. I have never heard of the Peace Church Cemetary, or I would have went there. I use to sit in graveyards all the time, and I have had some strange things happen to me!

One graveyard in which is on CC hwy east of Goodman going towards Longview, I just went to sit and listen to my music. As I was sitting there, of course it was a hot sultry night there, my stereo started screwing up, it was a cassette playing Stevie Ray, and what was weird is he had just died.
Okay, right before my cassette started messing up I had my window down and I turned my head lookin around and I saw my breath!!! I went, Whoa!! Then my cassette started playing funny, I tried to take it out, wouldn't come out, then my radio came on, wouldn't turn off!!! It freaked me out soooo bad, that I took off down the road, had to stop on the side of the road and pull my wire to my stereo out of the fuse box just to get it to stop what it was doing!! Whew!!

I will never ever forget that!! There are a lot of haunted places around SW Missouri, and I have investigated a lot of them through the years! Anyway, just thought I'd tell ya my stories from there.
Here is the link to Jerry Wills website, scroll down, it is the Joplin Spooklights.

www.xpeditionstv.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I really want to spend a night looking for the Joplin Spook Light. I'm hoping I can set it up soon and bring the footage to ATS.

I'm going to make damn sure no rain is in the area though.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Just want to let you know though, they aren't as free with you going there much anymore, the cops patrol and will tell you to leave if you hang around too long. If you watched Jerry's film, he basically trespassed!

But maybe they won't be around when you go and just explain that you are doing a documentary or something. It is on the Okla. Mo. border. They do have a sort of museum, but I'm not sure it is open anymore. Just talk to the locals. Of course I see you are from Fayettevile, so you know that they can be pretty friendly. Hope you get some good shots, that'd be great seeing that area again! And no, I wouldn't want to be in your situation with that storm like that again, even though I love thunderstorms and miss them sometimes! That would have been a trip. Loved the 3 lesbians and the pink ouija board!! I may know them!!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by stardust1955

But maybe they won't be around when you go and just explain that you are doing a documentary or something.

I have Press Credentials, I'll tell them I'm on a public road covering a legitimate story.

If I end up hog tied in the back of a police cruiser, well, as a writer I'll let everyone know how that turns out.

I don't see that happening since I have serious respect for law enforcement officers....But if it does......Oh the story I shall tell.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Actually, they are pretty nice to ya, but yeah, that'd be sooo funny, and you are a good writer, you kept my attention, and that is plus for me!
Anyway, good luck on your journey in my old stompin grounds, I'm 2200 miles away from there now. Will be watching for it, I'm on here everyday!
Can't wait!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Stardust thanks for the spooky lights story and vid.

Loved it. Any theories about what they might be?

I also noticed some other things in the vid. Such as the light that "sweeps" past, very fast, not round like the others, very ghostlike, I thought. Did you see that?

And when Jerry is speaking at the end, saying his goodbyes, to the lower left behind him there is another unusual light.

I thought it was great. Thanks for posting it.

(more more more)

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Thank You Ladyinwaiting, I've had some pretty scary and interesting things happen there, and in graveyards. And of course Jerry thinks it is a portal of some sort. But.....The legend of Spooklight is that during a major thunderstorm or snow storm around that area back when it was mostly Indian Territory, and Indian maiden and her lover were caught up in the storm and she went missing and his love for her was strong that they say that is him looking for her with his oil lantern as he also perished I do believe, looking for her. Been a long time since I've heard the story, but that is basically the legend of Spooklight.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I live Illinois, about 6 hours away from Fayetteville. not too far, but far enough

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
WOW! I am from Webb City, MO! Spent 30 years in the Joplin area. I have seen the Spooklight on many, many occasions! It is in Hornet, MO. I can drive you right to it!

Been in a number of haunted houses and cemetaries. Great UFO stories. Jesse James, Bonnie and Clyde.

I once followed a cave from a creekbed all the way to a sinkhole, climbed up and found myself inside the airport!! (not much of an airport though)

The "Underground" is a vast array of Limestone caves that are used for storage and warehousing. Featured in several threads here on ATS as having other Nefarious uses!

Gravette, AR is within an hour's drive and it is featured in several ATS threads for underground alien activity!!

Grand Lake is within an hour's drive and is famous for its "bus-sized" catfish that clog up the dam! It once had a Bull Shark live their for a couple of years until fishermen finally caught it!

Extinct Woodpeckers have been seen in the Mark Twain National Forest a couple of hours away!

WOW again! What a treat to find other people that are near that area, or have been there, or are interested in it!

I am so excited!!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I was just reading up on Peach Church cemetary, and I didn't realize this is the one that was again made famous by the Carl Junction satan-worshipper murders!? They used to meet there!

My ex-wife went to school with all of those guys. I knew the murderers and the victim and their sibling's and parents!!

Wow again! I can't wait to get back home and visit!

www.4stateexplorers.freewebspace.com...

www.prairieghosts.com...

My ex-wife's sister is quoted in this book!
books.google.com... i=3AdySs_NCt7ktgfKtJmNBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I was just reading up on Peach Church cemetary, and I didn't realize this is the one that was again made famous by the Carl Junction satan-worshipper murders!? They used to meet there!

While researching the cemetery I too learned of the Satan worshipers. I was also warned that on some nights the place gets visits from the KKK for ceremonies.

It's a spooky place and I hope to return before long to finish my investigation.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

While researching the cemetery I too learned of the Satan worshipers. I was also warned that on some nights the place gets visits from the KKK for ceremonies.

It's a spooky place and I hope to return before long to finish my investigation.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by mrwupy]

Please contact me if you do! I would like to join you, and I am very familiar with the area. I live in Florida, but it would be a nice trip to go visit. I moved away in 2001, but I visited 3 or 4 times per year up til 2008. I have not returned since then.

I am pretty sure I can walk from that cemetary to the home of the victim! I still know is sister and father, but we are not in contact. I wouldn't want to disturb them.

There is certainly a KKK cave within a mile or two of there that I have visited on many occasions. A lot of weird stuff on "Black Cat Road!"

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
This is too cool, I am 2200 miles away and hearing about stuff I'd forgotton about. The KKK caves especially. Late 70's early 80's, me and a friend of mine were always really curious about all of this stuff and would always go check it out! We found out how to get to the KKK caves, went up there, and there was a gate that said, keep out. Soooo, we drove down the road about 2 or 3 miles and parked the car and hiked till we found it.

We are both "sensitives" and we got in there and felt very leary about staying too long. It was just a weird and spooky feeling being in that cave, but exciting at the same time, so I know where that is at, brought back some great memories this thread here! We use to go into all kinds of caves back there. Around Noel, Pineville, and yes, the Jesse James Caves. Neosho is a great one too as I use to work in the caves for Teledyne and use to sneak into the ones next to it, we actually drove into one of them, the water started getting deep and it was very, very scary, no telling what was "really" back there! Thanks Mr Wupy and all the other contributors. I can still see Webb City too, as I use to go there a lot, have some very good friends that use to live there, as I did too at one time!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

The "Underground" is a vast array of Limestone caves that are used for storage and warehousing. Featured in several threads here on ATS as having other Nefarious uses!

One of those uses was supposedly by the Spanish to stash a hoard of gold because they were being harassed by the local Indian population. They were killed before they could return to claim it.

That's why tomorrow I'll be spelunking in the area. A friend and I are heading into some caves to try and contact the Spaniards. Hopefully they will give us an EVP of where the gold is actually located.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by stardust1955

I love Noel, Pineville, and Neosho! I want to take my wife canoeing in Noel Labor day or Memorial day one year. We used to do that almost every weekend!

reply to post by mrwupy

Have fun!! I never heard of the Gravette, AR caves when I lived there. Now I can't wait to get back and look for them. There are some pretty scary threads on ATS about these caves.

I have spelunked a lot of caves along Spring River. The coolest one was just off Hwy 43. We headed into about a 5 ft cave, knee high in water. It opened up after a little while and we hiked a mile or so. Eventually it got too small for me, but my two buddies crawled into a cavern, climbed up the side of a sink hole and found themselves just off the end of a runway inside Joplin Airport!! That was about 15 years ago so the sinkhole is probably repaired, but the cave will probably still be there!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Great Story! Living across the state line in OK, I can tell you that the weather in this region can change at a moment's notice. I read the post to my roommates and they all began to laugh when you said something about a tornado watch!

Anyway, I've been to the spooklight area a couple of times. I saw it once but the pictures didn't turn out very well. It was early on in my investigations and I learned the valuable lesson of using the correct film for light conditions when using an old school camera.

You might also want to check out the "Spookville Triangle" which is an area that runs from Jopin, Mo to Columbus, KS and then down to Miami, OK. There have been a number of odd happenings in the area, from UFO sightings to ghosts on the side of I-44.

If a group of ATS folks get together for an investigation up there, drop me a line. I have some basic equipment and am just a couple of hours away. It would be great!

spookville triangle
Spooklight booklet

The second link is a transcription of a booklet published locally about the Hornet Spooklight some time in the 1950s. It's information value is somewhat questionable but it is a good look into some of the attitudes about the lights (and the people of the region) during that time.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by soontide

Okay, now this makes sense with the lights now, since you mentioned that area there, there is suppose to be an underground base between Danway and Delaware Okla.. Go check it out. Maybe that could be the answer for all the lights around there. I just remembered about the map, and all those are close to that underground base there in the corner of N.E. Okla.. You may have seen the map with all the underground bases drawn with the tube shuttle system. And, another one "at" Grand Lake there. But from where I got this info was a guy named Jason Guenther and it doesn't sound like a very pleasant place, but that could be all disinfo too just to keep us away from those military underground installations. This guy said that the one between Danway and Delaware is (medical experimentation, research, bodies kept in a coma-state for transplants. Location for implants, including implants for mind control.)

Sounds a little scary. But if you want a real adventure, and you are very close to there, you may go on a little excursion!! Don't want to tell ya about the one at Grand Lake, that really goes out there from his explanation. When I had read it before, all I thought about was what happened to me when I was 12 there in Neosho, Mo. Me and my best friend went out in her back yard one morning, and it had snowed only an inch, and we found about a 16' burned out circle in the field, no melting around the edges, but the brown grass was burned in a circular pattern. Still stuck in my mind to this day. She took a picture of it, and all that came out was white. So, when I saw the map of that, and looked how close it is to all that area you just mentioned, the spooklights, and my incidents (not just one), that just came to mind and I just found it again and I do have the map in my pictures now. I would put it up, but it is late and I am very tired. Maybe tomorrow. But anyway, I did get the towns that I had forgotten about, and now this all is making a little sense if it is true. It is 'very' close. Just get your atlas out and you will see.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

This is making me homesick, I love it there too, maybe I'm suppose to come back there!! Maybe someday, all my family is back there and we always went to Noel and Pineville, all my relatives live around there on my Moms side of the family. I miss camping and just having a good ol country time. I still get teased out here with my accent I didn't think I had!
And if I was there, I would go, I have digital camera and digital camcorder, and was planning on getting InfraRed lenses for my camcorder just to do stuff like this! Now I'm really getting homesick!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by soontide

The second link is a transcription of a booklet published locally about the Hornet Spooklight some time in the 1950s. It's information value is somewhat questionable but it is a good look into some of the attitudes about the lights (and the people of the region) during that time.

There used to be a little pool hall at the end of the Spook Light road. The guy who ran it was called "Spooky". He had literally thousands of pictures of the light from up close and far away. They were very good pics and they just about wallpapered the whole place. I would love to know where they all went when the place closed down. The light hovered over the backseat of my dad's convertible once when we were kids!

A guy we knew lost his mind out there one night and committed suicide the next day! He started talking about the stars moving in the sky, and how he was actually a cat not a man, he took off and ran through this long field until he was out of sight, we jumped the fence to go find him and all of a sudden he was right in front of us!! He said he would be dead by the end of the week and the next day he jumped out of a speeding car!

I saw a woman in a long white flowing dress standing beside the road one night. It was kind of foggy, we were driving back from Seneca, MO to Joplin, MO. My friend pointed her out, and I slowed down as we passed her and she was very pale and sad looking. We turned around and went back but could not find anything. Just woods. No woman, cars, houses, or anything! The spooklight is said to be an Indian Maiden carrying a lantern and searching for her brave. (One of the stories anyway, I think there are others.)

Ripley's Believe It or Not came out and did a week long investigation in the 80's. They got some pretty good footage that they aired on their show, and they could not find any explanations for the light.

We should plan a trip around Halloween!! Several of us could meet up and visit all the old "haunts" in the area!! My wife would love to go see the places I used to hang out as a kid.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join