It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haunted Joplin: Peace church Cemetery.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I recently had the opportunity to visit my family, who live in Joplin Missouri. While there I heard the story of the haunted cemetery known as peace church. Being an investigator of the paranormal I felt the need to look up the stories and investigate for myself as to what might be paranormal and what is pure fancy. The story I’m about to tell you is absolutely true.

In 1950 a man named Billy Cook went on a murdering rampage. His killing spree went through several states until he was finally captured in Mexico. He was returned to the United States and in December of 1952 he was put to death in the gas chamber of San Quentin prison.

His body was returned to Joplin but no one wanted anything to do with it. It was agreed that he would be buried at Peace Church cemetery, but he had to be buried outside of the cemetery proper and in an unmarked grave.

From that time forward the stories began of shadowy figures that vanished when approached. Strange lights that circulated through the cemetery and noises and voices that had no origin. Many believed that Billy Cook was trying to make it into the cemetery, and finally find some peace.

Since I was in town I decided to check it out and see if there was any truth to the story. I assembled my team, which would consist of my little sister Daisy, three lesbians with a pink ouija board (Who have asked not to be named) and myself. Hey, you work with what you have at the time.

During my research I had read that the cemetery was now marked off limits. “No trespassing,” signs were up and you would be arrested for entering the grounds. A daylight visit was in order to find out the truth of these claims. The claims were false, but the cemetery was depressing.

I suppose the only thing worse than being dead is being the forgotten dead. Grass was knee high and stones were toppled. No one had cared for this place in a very long time. No one would be coming to care for it anytime soon.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/de51f8400fe0.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/309409e8ff4a.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/78bd78ebd3e5.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fdacc07129d3.jpg[/atsimg]

I waited for nightfall to begin the investigation. Things were shaping up nicely. Storms were in the area and lightning screamed from cloud to cloud as the atmosphere charged with energy. I love cloud-to-cloud lightning, all the beauty of the heavens with little chance of getting zapped into eternity. This would be a night to remember.

Shortly after 10 PM we set off for the cemetery. I had an IR DVD camcorder, a digital camera and a digital voice recorder to catch any signs of the paranormal. If anything were to happen that night, I had no doubt I’d be prepared to bring the evidence to ATS.

I had checked the weather channel; Storms were in the area but not where we were heading. There was also a tornado watch in effect but I wasn’t worried. We had a good team. My little sister beside me, the three lesbians in the back seat and myself, headed for a haunted cemetery on a full moon night with a tornado watch in effect.

What could possibly go wrong?

The drive was uneventful right up until we turned onto the road that led to Peace Church Cemetery. At that exact moment all hell broke loose. The heavens opened up and rain began to pour in quantities not seen since the days of Noah. I couldn’t see the road, accept for those brief moments when the lightning struck a few feet away from my car and I was blinded by both the light and the shear terror of the moment.

When I finally found a place to turn around we were actually passed the cemetery. I just hadn’t been able to see a safe place before we were well passed it. Heading back towards town I had the eerie feeling that the paranormal was sending me a message. This may not have been the night to go ghost hunting.

As we drove back towards Joplin on that desolate road, the lightning picked up it’s pace. Crashing on first one side of the car and then the other, as if we were being chased away. The rain had not let up for even a second as the explosive thunder grew louder and louder with every nearby flash.

I did the only thing a sane man could do at the time. I began to pray. Not just the prayer’s of the scared but also the prayers of the soon to be dead. I was making deals with God.

“LORD!!!!! Get me through this! I beseech you! I’ll kick these lesbians out right here if you want me to! I’ve heard you don’t like’em Lord, but their friends of mine. Just give me a sign though and I’ll send them to you!”

At that point we had made it onto 7th St. in Joplin and it didn’t look like a street. I’ve seen whitewater rapids that were more calm and peaceful. I had to take this street for a few miles before I could turn for home so I kept up the praying.

“Just give me a sign LAWD!!!! I wasn’t trying to tempt you or question you tonight, but if you demand a sacrifice, I GOT THREE!!!!!”

At that point the back end of my car began to rise up and float away. Fortunately I have front wheel drive and the weight of the motor kept the front wheels on the ground. As I pulled away and onto higher ground I knew I’d gotten the sign I had asked for. The lesbians were ballast. Without them we’d have been washed away for sure.

Turning to my sister I asked, “Does it ALWAYS rain like this in Joplin?”

“I’ve never seen rain like this in my life.” She answered back.

It was slow going, but we eventually made it back to her house. Everybody was shaken from the experience. I honestly believed Mother Nature herself had chased me away from a paranormal investigation. I’m almost 50 years old and I’ve never seen anything like that.

Fortunately all my prayers had been kept quietly inside my own head so no feelings were hurt that night. I still have several crazy friends in Joplin, not to mention some even crazier family. None of them visit ATS so my secrets are safe.

It was a paranormal investigation gone totally wrong. These things happen when you search for the truth, regardless of what the truth might be. It’s the only investigation I’ve gone on that tried to kill me, even if what tried to kill me resides only in my own overactive imagination.

I’ll be going back to Joplin before long, and perhaps then Mother Nature will not be so angry.

I will complete this investigation.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Not much of a ghost story. However the writing style was excellent. Have you written professionally? The style reminds me of Jim Butcher (wrote "Dresden Files")

Next time... check the weather channel!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I got a good chuckle over the lesbian ballast line.Maybe someone/thing?didnt want you investigating that night.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
OK, so first of all you try to trade "ME" in for a little sista and not one but 3 lesbians? hahahah, "That was your first mistake!"
Secondly didn't you know that I am one of Gods favorite Ghost investigators? You will be wise to phone me up next time you set out to investigate a place as scary and obviously evil as this one turned out to be.

Now seriously mrwupy, you have to be kidding? Your back end was actually floating? I am so glad to know that you and your friends and family are safe and unharmed.

So once you realized you had passed the cemetery you did not go back to just sit and see if you could capture something, anything?

It had to have been bad because you are a pretty big and tough guy. But it does seem like you did the right thing, had you waited and then tried to drive back to Joplin you may have been swept away.

So maybe the Big Guy was listening to your prayers after all...

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArcAngel
Not much of a ghost story. However the writing style was excellent.

It was a ghost story gone terribly wrong. Sometimes things like this happen on investigations, and at the time it can scare the hell out of you. I've had much more fun ghost adventures.

ATS Ghost Hunters: Antar and mrwupy at the Crescent Hotel.

Still, regardless of the reason that this turned into a disaster, I want to go back and complete the investigation.

Thanks for the compliment on my writing style, I do what I can with what I have. I've been published here and there, but nothing serious...yet

[edit on 21-6-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
I got a good chuckle over the lesbian ballast line.Maybe someone/thing?didnt want you investigating that night.

I have that exact same feeling. Ma nature drove my butt away from that place. Hopefully when I go back she will be more kind.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
OK, so first of all you try to trade "ME" in for a little sista and not one but 3 lesbians? hahahah, "That was your first mistake!"

You were in Arizona interviewing Shaman's. I look forward to those interviews being published in the news forums by the way, still, I was there and had the opportunity.

You know, Joplin also has the ghost light, we could go chase it and find out if its real or not. We should be there at sunset to see it. Then hit the cemetery a few hours later.......

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Tell me about the Joplin Ghost lights...

And you know if we ever do that story from my family Cemetery we can talk with the Caretaker who says that a cemetery is haunted always it is just people who are more open at night.

[edit on 21-6-2009 by antar]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Wonderful, scary story!

Of course, the town of Joplin and probably most of that county were also experiencing the same storm at the same time. Because the lightning was so close you may have felt it was aimed at you, or at the cemetery, but there were a lot of other people who probably had a similar experience with the storm. It would be easy to take it personally but that would not be the kind of scientific detachment that ultimately a paranormal investigator needs.

That said, I would be scared out of my wits if it happened to me. I would also begin to wonder what influence the executed guy had with heaven...or hell...whichever one was delivering divine retribution upon Peace Church and its neighbors.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Star and flag - great story. Is Janis around the Joplin cemetery?

Just wondering.

Also, I am reserving judgement - I believe you, actually.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
You are ONE hilarious writer.

More photos and investigations coming up, I hope!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Hey, Someone that was in my old stomping grounds.
I have not been in joplin for over 10 years now.

I think i know where the cemetary is you were talking about, although has been quite a while.

Sounds like you got caught by a wall cloud and a twister.
for it to pick up the back of the vehicle you sould have looked out your window and up... been in that position a few times, a bit scary.
Could be paranormal, but in that area, freak storms and suprise twisters are not uncomon if you dont know what to look for.

The Joplin lights i have been to several times, never saw anything though, lots of debates on what it is, gasses, headlights, ghost.. i've been told some stories that were quite interesting about it.

A nother place for you to check out if you go back that way is Erie Kansas, there is a Cemetary out past the edge of town. (erie is about 30 miles maby 40 from joplin.) Look for the statue named Marcus. Interesting history, i've seen a few things personaly there that just make you scratch your head and wonder.. never had the equipment to document anything.
But plan on going a few nights, take photo's
Legend/ rumor has it that the lady the statue is of, is actualy her. From the story, she got sick and died at a young age, the husband could not bear to not see her any more, so instead of making a statue for her grave, they poured cement on her to make sure the likeness was right.

Now not saying i belive the legend, but it is a interesting place to check out, lots of potential for activity.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
Wonderful, scary story!
It would be easy to take it personally but that would not be the kind of scientific detachment that ultimately a paranormal investigator needs.

It's much more fun to take such things personally. My choices were simple, I could have written, "We got rained out" or I could believe Mother Nature and maybe all the forces of evil tried to kill me. The latter makes for much more adventure.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by KarlG
More photos and investigations coming up, I hope!

Oh yea. I have a few planned, I just hope the next one is indoors.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
More. More. More. More. More. More. More.

And next time, don't be so quick to make a sacrifice of your fellow-ghost hunters.

They may come back to haunt you.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
More. More. More. More. More. More. More.

And next time, don't be so quick to make a sacrifice of your fellow-ghost hunters.

But that's the secret of being a successful ghost hunter, always make sure you can run faster then the person your with.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
All this long story and what was the result......nothing, but a little rain. Poor baby perhaps you can make up something better next time....
IMO
Don't bother....stress is bad for the heart.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by merky]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by merky
All this long story and what was the result......nothing,

I would rather be out there trying and investigating and seeing for myself, than sitting behind the keyboard all day.

Sometimes the investigations will go to total crap, as this one did. I can still share it with my friends here on ATS.

The journey is what makes this whole trip worthwhile, regardless of the journeys outcome.

Love and light,

wupy

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Isnt that the truth! I loved your ghost caper and the way it turned out. I meant what I said about it (the energy) keeping you from a very serious accident later had you stayed and tried to ride out the storm to catch something for the sake of our readers...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Wow, what an adventure! I couldn't stop laughing when you mentioned the lesbians. You have a great writing style keep it up

btw, I love a good ghost hunt also.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join