It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total eclipse to paint Moon red

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This is one for cmdkeen tonite The eclipse will be visible from 2052 BST to 2208 BST Lunar eclipse so depending on the weather and where you are it will change in colour from blood red to a brownish colour

The Moon is to turn blood-red during a total lunar eclipse in UK skies, the Royal Astronomical Society has said.
The total eclipse will already be under way as the Moon rises on Tuesday evening but will only become visible as the Sun sets and the sky darkens.

A dim reddish-brown Moon should climb slowly above the south-east horizon.
Society member, Dr Jacqueline Mitton, said: "Lunar eclipses are a fascinating and beautiful phenomenon, and no two are quite alike."

BBC SPACE

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
SPA
Sky and Telescope
ESA
BBCspace
Sky At Night

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The bible says that in the end that the moon will turn to blood along with the oceans and rivers...

I don't believe that the bible explains exactly how... but this could be it...

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Woo, I've heard something about a red moon...

Doesn't look like I'll get to see it here in the states, though
Sigh. Oh well, I'll recover

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
All the cool stuff can tbe seen in the states

Correct me if I am wrong. But I
think only the east will be able to see the eclipse.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Revelations Chapter 6, verse 12: "And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood" -I have no idea why I know that other than it sounds ominous.

This NASA eclipse map shows that we will miss it in the US. There is a good chance of seeing a lunar corona, though.

I found it on SPACE WEATHER today.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Well, that figures, I would have missed it any way because I'm usually asleep at night
But, maybe antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov... will post something??
At any rate, Thanks se7en for posting

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
with ANY lunar eclipse the moon will turn a shade of red. some of the light from the sun refracts through the atmosphere of the earth, and heads to the sun. the atmosphere is thicker at edges of the earth like that, so the light travels through mroe pollutants. this pollutants disperse the light, and cause the redness. i have pictures from a lunar eclipse last october if anyone wants to see.

didn't read the article, but the eclipse is visible in eastern europe, most of africa, aisa, indonesia, australia, new zeland, and some of antartica.

oh, and there's at least two, more commonly three, and sometimes four or five lunar eclipses a year.

also, if anyone wants me to explain what causes an eclipse, just ask.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Red moon in the morning
Sailors take warning
Red moon in the night
Sailors delight

Old method of predicting storms for sailors. Guess it just reminded me of that.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
also, if anyone wants me to explain what causes an eclipse, just ask.

That's where the sun, earth and moon line up? And, depending on the alignment, it is either a solar or lunar eclipse?

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
That's where the sun, earth and moon line up? And, depending on the alignment, it is either a solar or lunar eclipse?

a solar eclipse is when the sun, the moon, and the earth line up (in that order).

lunar eclipse is when the sun, the earth, and the moon line up (in that order, also). they're more common than solar eclipses because the earth casts a much larger shadow than the moon.

EDIT: i also forgot to say that lunar eclipses only happen at full moon and solar eclipses only happen at new moon.

[Edited on 5/4/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Phew for a second there I thought my post was going to turn into end of the world with the posts of people talking about the bible and red moons etc . I just ment this post to be for people who might take an intrest into al unar eclipse and get to see the moon a nice shade of red also if anyof you have a chance to take any pictures id like to see them on here

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
hey sprectre i think this is it buddy, better start praying

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
this will be awsome but its June 8th's Sun -Venus- Earth alignment that those end of times talk will resurface, but who knows that will be the 1st time humans will ever see a DIRECT alignment of Sun/Venus/Earth according to speculators, an this very well might be a marker in the acients calendars.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

a picture from when the moon was still low on the horizon, the redness is from the penumbra of the earth's shadow. for more pictures, go here: community.webshots.com...

the thumbnails look shotty, but they're better when you see them. if anyone wants to see the originals (just more space around the moon) then lemme know.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Nice pictures Keen the 1748est looks the darkest red in colour you have a clue to which country will have the darkest in red im exsepcting the uk to be that kind of colour

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
Red moon in the morning
Sailors take warning
Red moon in the night
Sailors delight

Old method of predicting storms for sailors. Guess it just reminded me of that.

Are you nautical man then Zed? cos what you just said is exactly what my late grandfather used to keep telling me.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
thanks!

as for where will it be the darkest red? just start watching the moon as soon as it comes above the horizon, that is when the eclipse will begin. a lunar eclipse basically goes from sunset to sunrise... the penumbra (outer, dimmer shadow) of the earth is what gives the red color, the umbra (inner, darkest shadow) is what blacks out the moon.

sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov...

[Edited on 5/4/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Interesting, this eclipse happens to be centered over the Middle East, just as the Venus transit June 8 will be.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Unfortunately I don�t think the lunar eclipse that is expected tonight will be visible from North America.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Just found verification that North America will miss the show. This sucks.

North America will miss out on the entire show, as the moon will be below the horizon during midday and afternoon hours. Weather permitting, some Europeans will have a chance to see the very end of the event.

edition.cnn.com...

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by kinglizard]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join