It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed Law Allows AG Holder to Block Gun Sales to Over a Million Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Proposed Law Allows AG Holder to Block Gun Sales to Over a Million Americans

blacklistednews.com

New Jersey Democrat senator Frank R. Lautenberg plans to introduce legislation designed to cancel the Second Amend rights of well over a million U.S. citizens this coming week, according to the New York Times. “Mr. Lautenberg plans to introduce legislation on Monday that would give the attorney general the discretion to block gun sales to people on terror watch lists,” the newspaper reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Looks like we'll soon find out if they're going to be allowed to use the Homeland Security Watch List to do an end-run around the Second Amendment. This legislation is set to be introduced tomorrow, so there's nothing we can really do at this point except wait and see. I hope this legislation get placed back in the garbage where it came from.

TA

blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I don't know which is scarier, the obvious skirting of the Second Amendment or the fact that there are "well over a million Americans" already on this "terror watch list".

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
I don't know which is scarier, the obvious skirting of the Second Amendment or the fact that there are "well over a million Americans" already on this "terror watch list".

Is it possible to file a FOIA request to find out if someone has been classified as a terrorist?

Or will someone simply have to try and buy a gun to find out?

What rights do American terrorists have?

[edit on 21-6-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

It is scary. They define 'terrorist' so vaguely that you can end up on the watch-list for picking your nose too much and that's no accident.

reply to post by In nothing we trust

Is it possible to file a FOIA request to find out if someone has been classified as a terrorist?

Been wondering that, myself. I'll do some checking.

TA

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

It is scary. They define 'terrorist' so vaguely that you can end up on the watch-list for picking your nose too much and that's no accident.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this EXACTLY what we were all saying would happen back when they were passing the PATRIOT acts?

Also, isn't this the sort of thing that the Second Amendment was created for? (that just put me on the Terror Watch List)

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Good question.

I might be wrong but I think they can deny a FOIA request based on "National Security" regarding "ongoing investigations"

Either that or you'll get a piece of paper with "well over a million" black lines.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

You're 100% correct on both counts: I believe this is directly related to the patriot act and the Second Amendment was put in the Constitution to protect us from these types of government intrusions. Oops...I just mentioned the 'C' word...guess i'm on the list too.

TA

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Here we go: Information on filing a FOIA request to see if you're on the list.

So you meet the general requirements of being on the watchlist, but how do you find out if you specifically are on the watchlist? This can be done through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.

You can file a FOIA request to see if you're on it, but who's to say that filing said request won't land you on it if you weren't already?

TA

[edit on 21-6-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This will stop absolutely nothing. Now they stop people from buying legal guns that can be traced by the forensic fingerprint of the bullet but created a much bigger problem.

People will be buying fully automatic, untracable guns which spit more lead at a higher rate. Ask yourself who's the real morons?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

That external quote is pretty scary too, how nonchalant it is about your government possibly thinking you're a traitor. I'm pretty sure we all "generally meet the requirements for being on the list", I know I do for carrying around a copy of the Constitution.

Also, I don't really think any "domestic terrorists" are buying registered weapons. I mean one of the most common types of "terrorist weapons" are IEDs, Improvised Explosive Devices.

I refuse to believe that they are ignorant as to the ease with which one can obtain an illegal weapon, there's more to it than that.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revealation

People will be buying fully automatic, untracable guns which spit more lead at a higher rate. Ask yourself who's the real morons?

I would think this law would spark a true black market for weapons in the United States. Which would be untracable. Arms smuggling into the US by mexican drug lords might become more profitable than drugs.

It really is a dumb move. At least right now they can track terrorists purchase of weapons.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This is a move made out of fear. Gun sales skyrocketed right after the elections in November, 08. TPTB are trying to plug the holes in the dike.
Placing regular citizens on terrorist watch lists,is incomprehensible. They have to demonize several people to forward the adgenda.Disallowing weapons is a first step.
It's to the point where they will do what they're going to do,and the people will do what they have to do.

Terrorism is in the eyes of the beholder isn't it? I believe terrorism to be people that would limit personal freedom and use strong arm tactics to force submission,while drowning them under massive debt. But that's just my opinion

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45

Placing regular citizens on terrorist watch lists is incomprehensible.

I believe terrorism to be people that would limit personal freedom and use strong arm tactics to force submission,while drowning them under massive debt.

So citizens who pay taxes to support the interest on the debt, which is where the government gets its money, are being classified as terrorists. It's kinda like biting the hand that feeds you isn't it?

What is the incentive of the average taxpaying citizen to continue to support the debt and the government if the government views you as an enemy of itself?

It's kinda like they extort you, beat you up, kick you to the curb and then arrest you for blocking the flow of traffic in the street. Very bizarre behavior for a government of the people.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
As if the typical American could by a true automatic weapon. Despite popular belief gun shows don't sell them. It sounds to me the powers that be are going to do a Hugo Chavez and not give up power.

top topics

join