It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health Insurers Refuse to Limit Rescission (Canceling) of Coverage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well, now you can hear it straight from the horses (top insurance company CEO's) mouth!

Health insurers refuse to limit rescission of coverage

Lawmakers ask three executives if they'll stop dropping customers except where they can show "intentional fraud." All say no.

Executives of three of the nation's largest health insurers told federal lawmakers in Washington on Tuesday that they would continue canceling medical coverage for some sick policyholders, despite withering criticism from Republican and Democratic members of Congress who decried the practice as unfair and abusive.

The hearing on the controversial action known as rescission, which has left thousands of Americans burdened with costly medical bills despite paying insurance premiums,
******SKIP******
policyholders with breast cancer, lymphoma and more than 1,000 other conditions were targeted for rescission and that employees were praised in performance reviews for terminating the policies of customers with expensive illnesses.
******SKIP******
Rescission was largely hidden until three years ago, when The Times launched a series of stories disclosing that insurers routinely canceled the medical coverage of individual policyholders who required expensive medical care.

I say take away their licenses for being an insurance company, put'em out of business!!!

All it is, after all, is a license to steal after people have paid them their premiums for health insurance than they cancel them when they are diagnosed with an "expensive" illness!

If the government would actually work on what is REALLY wrong with our health care system, from the cost of malpractice insurance, drugs, new technology, and including how health insurance companies "work", I believe we would end up having a much better health care system here in the US than with a government-run health care plan for all.

[edit on 6/21/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
well, this is clearly fraud, you have breach of contract, confessions given in open testimony about deliberate breach being actively sought and rewarded....the executives should be tried and imprisoned.

it would be like me going into a car dealership, signing a contract, handing the cash over for the purchased car, and the dealership takes the money and refuses to give you the car and then throws you off their property.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Yes, I agree. If they actually worked on rooting out the source of high prices then they could solve those problems and we the taxpayer would not have to worry about them burying our great grand children in debt. Or even worse with government run health-care where most of these people with these conditions would be left to rot.

But that means asking lawmakers to do the job that they were hired to do.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Recission has been in effect for decades, my family's bills partly caused an insurer to drop my father's workplace from their cleint list in the early 1980s, but it won't stop under a restructured system either, especially if medical care is socialized. That system only provides palliative care to patients who develop certain chronic or fatal diseases, not curative treatment. That's why so many Canadians come here for heart surgery, cancer treatment and other procedures, often out of pocket.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Let Obama make a presidential decree (this is not the term i want, but can't remember the correct term) that this stop or remove the corporate boards of these corporations and place them in federal pen.

He does not need approval for something like 90 days.

I bet if they spent 90 days in general population with the threat of 90 years, things will change and change "NOW"!

If Obama really is for the people and not the corporations, he will do it, but yeah, I am not holding my breath.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
confessions given in open testimony

Almost forgot to add the video of their testimony/confessions!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

especially if medical care is socialized. That system only provides palliative care to patients who develop certain chronic or fatal diseases, not curative treatment. That's why so many Canadians come here for heart surgery, cancer treatment and other procedures, often out of pocket.

Not trying to be rude but you dont seem to have a clue as to our Canadian health care system. I pay higher taxes and my government spends a huge portion of it on our health care not military and weopons and we have extremely good healthcare thats why statistically we live longer and have a better wuality of living. My grandma is 83 and she recieves plenty of prevenetive medicine same with grandpa, my dad is a type 2 diabetic and he recieves what I call curative medicine? My Brother was in a fire when he was young and they gave him whats called "Million dollar skin" to make his face virtually scarless!

My girlfriend just had a baby for FREE! I hear thats expensive in the USA if uninsured and in Canada simply if you are born here you are covered. Being covered here from my personal experience living in Ontario and Alberta, we get whatever we need and our doctors look to treat and prevent what they can. Just my familiy alone must cost alot and we dont have to pay anything for it so I think we have an excellent system up here from personal experience.

Also not trying to go off topic just correcting someone and showing how the Canadian system doesnt allow for these parasites to operate like that and rip people off like that.

[edit on 21-6-2009 by Slickinfinity]

new topics

top topics

join