It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fishing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
saltwater, deep whenever possible. my catch is always best served as soon as it comes out of the water:

media.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

woah nice Tuna !

looks like a blue or yellow fin ? what bait were you using ? bet that was some good eating

i agree nothing like hooking a monster fish down deep. i was on a Charter out of Daytona, 50 miles off the east coast and snagged a 30 lb. Grouper on a live Pinfish that was down 100 ft.

it dam near pulled me over the edge of the boat

we caught over 100 fish that day, Smoker Kings, Big Red, Huge Red Snapper, Jack Cavels. ( i have pictures but not in digital form
)

the Jacks were like hooking into a forklift going in the opposite direction

cooked it up the same day, along with some mahi-mahi , best dam fish fry ever. made the Beer taste even better !

ATS should have a fishing tournament or maybe sponsor a team on the Pro Bass tour ?

[edit on 23-6-2009 by easynow]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Blogstalker

Personally I prefer my fish baked with just a touch of bread crumbs and seasonings. A lot of fish has such a delicate taste I don't like to loose it in batter, sauces and wine etc.

Although a good fish and chip once in awhile is great.

i agree with you on that

i prefer my fish broiled or baked, but if the batter is perfect fry'd is hard to beat. you need the right oil and it has to be at the right temperature. if you can make all that happen correctly, you still get that nice flavor like a Broil.

Grouper chunks with some fries ! dayyum i am gettin hungry now

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I have owned a guide/outfitting fly fishing business in the past, fishing the streams and rivers here in the Rocky Mts.

sounds like a dream come true, why did you get out of the business ?

I also love fishing for Bones on the flats in the Keys, Belize and Mexico. Also for Specs and Reds in the intercoastal waterway, Padre Island, Texas.

never caught a bone fish, looks fun though. i have watched alot of fishing shows that featured that prey.

i hear ya on the intercoastal Reds ! i caught some monster Bull Reds near Ponce Inlet...that's a fight !

Very seldom do I eat anything I catch. If I wanna eat fish, I go to Red Lobster.

Red Lobster doesn't even come close to some of the fish cooks i have had. two different worlds there. they have good rolls though

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

awesome Chadwickus

now that looks fun, those Barramundi look like a cross between a Snook and maybe a Striper ?

thanks for the video, i have caught Sunshine Bass back to back just like they were doing in the video. what a blast.

i hear ya on the "trawl" thing. when i can't get them Sunshine Bass when casting i go to the trolling tactic. works everytime

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

C. thanks for the video. And EasyNow, thanks for starting this thread. It reminds me that I need to spend more time on the water and less time on the www.

Here is my home water. The beautiful San Juan in the Land of Enchantment.

www.youtube.com...

sure no problem whaaa, thanks for the great replies

that looks like a great river fishing place. i have never caught anything on a flyrod, but would love to try something like that in your video. that trout looked healthy. river fishing is one of the best ways in my opinion.

now go catch some fish and let us know how you did

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

I put a few more from various other trips into the album but I'm holding a yellowfin and a mahi mahi and the other dude is holding another yellow.

That picture and there's another of me from another trip with that guy, was taken on St. Barths. The guy takes you out in his 21 foot boat and you are always pulling in fish. He's got these nets set up to trap seaweed and debris and in that trapped junk you get fish breeding. In the words of Patrice "baby fish attract bigger fish. bigger fish attract bait fish...bait fish attract our fish....our fish attract us....fish attraction"

We hooked a monster marlin, half a dozen mahi mahi and 5 yellowfin at about 75 pounds apiece before calling it quits on one excursion (2 and a half hours) and the others were just mahi mahi and smaller yellowfin but you always catch.

The other pic in the album is from an offshore trip a few years back. August, 100 miles off the coast of eastern long island. a birthday present for my dad. he battled the yellow in that picture for about 30 minutes before giving way to me.

I'm working a trip in the fall with a friend who has a deal with the scallop boats. They call him when they see the giant bluefin feeding off the back of the boat and he heads out with cases of beer in exchange for the call. He snagged a 735 pounder a few years back and, more recently, he landed one over 600 and the boat had 4 smaller (450 ish) on at the same time, all landed.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I think Red Lobster is an urban legend, I see the ads on tv but I have never seen one.

Crakeur, was that sushi grade tuna? If so that would be sushi heaven.

One of the first "real" freshwater fish I caught was in a stream near our house and as I was reeling it in an MDC cop decided it would be the perfect time to see my license (in Massachusetts they have to be visible). My shirt was covering it, and I didn't want to stop trying to land my first trout. My husband climbed onto the slippery rock to lift my shirt to show the cop and I got my fish.
I did let it go since I don't care for the taste.

My favorite catch was a big ole bluefish I caught off a charter boat from Gloucester, MA. I was the only person to catch a fish, I was quite proud of that. Poor husband wasn't doing so well... he was literally green colored and seasick. (he never drank before a charter again)

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by easynow

Currently I am addicted to catching huge Cats and Carp in the Rio Grande on a fly rod. A short bicycle ride from my home.

Very seldom do I eat anything I catch. If I wanna eat fish, I go to Red Lobster.

I have nothing against people keeping a few fish to eat but I prefer to catch and release so future generations can have something to catch.

Peace and tight lines!!

[edit on 23-6-2009 by whaaa]

I hear ya, I much rather see a fish swim away then frying on my stove. Specially if I can catch the same fish again, its like seeing a old friend.

I guess the one exception is my once a year bluefin trip. If we are luckily enough to catch one we usually keep it. Well we sort of have to after gaffing them just to get them on the boat.

Normally I am just a largemouth fisherman. I do occasionally go after carp from time to time.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by testrat]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by testrat
I hear ya, I much rather see a fish swim away then frying on my stove. Specially if I can catch the same fish again, its like seeing a old friend.

my rule is never keep something you don't plan on eating. I've released a few sails and marlin while the rest of my group was screaming about mounting the fish. I'm never sure if the fish live after the battle and the hook removal but they certainly do swim away so I assume they do.

Originally posted by testrat
I guess the one exception is my once a year bluefin trip. If we are luckily enough to catch one we usually keep it. Well we sort of have to after gaffing them just to get them on the boat.

where do you go? The guys I know who go, when they catch a giant (not too often), they wind up selling it for nice cheese.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow
reply to post by whaaa

I have owned a guide/outfitting fly fishing business in the past, fishing the streams and rivers here in the Rocky Mts.

sounds like a dream come true, why did you get out of the business ?

For many years it was a dream come true; But it grew to where I had 3 drifters, and 3 other contract guides and secretary. That was never the plan and insurance and fuel cost knocked most of the profit out. I now am a part time contract guide myself for a couple of outfits in Durango and Taos.

The fishing is alway great, sometimes the catching isn't so hot.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I usually go tuna fishing off the coast North Shore of Massachusetts. Even if we don't catch any tuna, we can usually go out a little deeper and at least hook some cod.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I think if you are not going to eat it then release it as well.It is after all a life thats not worth wasting.
To respond to Easy Now from his last reply....I am a simple guy and don't even own a tackle box.I carry a pack of hooks and a pack of sinkers and my 25 dollar rod.
Most fishermen would laugh at me but I still catch alot of fish with that 25 dollar rod.
I am gonna try your lure you reccomended and see what happens tho.
I am taking vids of it so will let you guys see if I get anything or not.
Its all in fun tho and I am gonna be happy to just get out there even if I had no bait on the dang hook.
Happy fishing guys!!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

thanks for sharing the pics with us and nice dolphin

that is one of my favorires, i have only caught two in my life time but i sure would like to get on them again. i got lucky when a whole school of them appeared out of nowhere and i managed to get one on the hook and left him in the water (hooked) so the others would stick around.

that was some good eating. put the fish in aluminum foil with lemon butter and put it on the grill. best ever.

yea that's kinda cheating with the fish attractor but it's a great idea. wherever there's food you will find something wanting to eat it !

i bet that fish wore your dad out , that's a big yellow. i never caught one of those before
maybe one day. funny you should mention that area though, as a kid my dad took me out in the same direction off Long Island. we got a few sharks is all i remember. i was born in Queens but grew up out in Lake Ronkonkama.

dam 700lb. bluefin ? holy moly, better be strapped in a chair for that one

here you go...

yea i would trade some cases of beer for that !

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

thanks whaaa, yea i can understand that. i guess if your operation gets too big it becomes all work and no play kinda thing. i'd rather do it part time like you are and enjoy it.

i meant to ask you..what are you catching those Carp on ? what do you use for bait ? vegetables or ? just wondering.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

well keeping it simple is good sometimes. the fish don't really know how much you spent on tackle ...lol

i can't guarantee you will do good on that Beetle Spin but i will tell you i have caught hundreds.............. of different kinds of fish on it.

the size of the fishing line can be a factor. smaller diameter line will cast further with that lure. the knot you tie is very important if you hook a monster on it.

i use a what they call a clinch knott on most of my lures.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow
i meant to ask you..what are you catching those Carp on ? what do you use for bait ? vegetables or ? just wondering.

On cloudy days carp will hit an artificial like a wooly booger, stripped along the bottom. But they will hit vegetables almost all the time. My favorite is lima beans because they are heavy and sink. Corn works well.

or....make paste of dry dog food and cheerios mixed with Dr. Pepper and wrap it around a hook.

www.carp-usa.info...

A 30lb carp on a 6wt. flyrod is some of the greatest freshwater sport known to any angler.

My purists trout flyfishing friends heap scorn on me for fishing carp but they just don't know.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

hmm... interesting they will hit that wooly booger. didn't know what kind of artificial to use on them. i never caught any but i have seen hundreds of them in my Bass Honey Hole. the Hydrilla got really bad and the water management people stocked the lake with Carp to eat it. i would always see them in hurds but i was more interested at the time in catching those monster Bass.
about ten years later they decided to take out all the Carp out of the lake (they were eating too much) and i noticed the water management guys out hunting them in a Air Boat.

they were using a Bow to fish for them....

My favorite is lima beans because they are heavy and sink. Corn works well.

or....make paste of dry dog food and cheerios mixed with Dr. Pepper and wrap it around a hook.

yes i have heard of the lima bean and corn/peas before. a few people told me about it but i ain't never heard of the cheerios,dog food and Dr. pepper ! sounds interesting. not sure how it stay's on the hook but i will take your word on it

A 30lb carp on a 6wt. flyrod is some of the greatest freshwater sport known to any angler.

no doubt that is a good fight. check out this supposed world record....

some more nice ones...
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 24-6-2009 by easynow]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
the guy who goes for the giant blue fin told me they don't use the chair unless the fish is a monster so, when they were all hauling in 350-450 pounders they were doing it standing. one of the guys that was with them is a skinny little dude and they said they were so worried he was going overboard that they tied a rope to him. the others all knew to lean against the side of the boat and use the leverage to keep the fish in one place.

I only made that one trip off the coast of Long Island. Normally, I fish within 20 miles of the beach and we get some smaller stuff in that close. 25 pound and under false albies, the random small bluefin (5-10 pounds), bluefish (tons of bluefish), stripers and fluke.

We used to see all kinds of life in close to shore. Giant turtles, whales, etc. Now, offshore, in the gulf is where you see most of the large life. That trip with the pod of dolphin? we saw leatherback turtles bigger than the back of the boat - very big - manta rays leaping out of the water and a few whales. we still see baby whales along the beach in the fall but it's pretty rare.

we did catch an ocean sunfish once. we used to see them all the time, they'd swim up to the boat and hang out in the shade. you could lean over and touch them. so, we're drifting for fluke and my line takes off. tons of boats out that day and everyone was moving around to see what the hell it was the little kid was fighting. took me a long time, my dad had to back up on the line a bit to ease the struggle but, eventually, we saw it. it wasn't one of the huge ones but it was big and it was just laying there. my dad leaned over, I climbed down to the platform by the engine and we managed to get the hook out without much fuss.

for those of you that don't know what an ocean sunfish is:

mine was not that large.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I'm going out for yellow fin tuna next month. Can't wait.

Bill Dance bloopers.

[edit on 25-6-2009 by KEMIK]

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join