It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fishing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
anyone like to fish ?

what's your favorite, salt or freshwater ?

also looking for batter/cooking recipes, if anyone knows a good way to deep fry'em... let me know

[edit on 21-6-2009 by easynow]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I once fished with my dad... back in the early 80's.
We were out on a saltwater shallow near Biloxi, my dad played in
a jazz band and my mom was in New Orleans doing her stuff.

I caught a fish... it was my first and I remember the sadness that
crept over me as my father yanked the hook from it's gaping jaws.
I vowed there and then as he dropped it into the bucket that I would
never fish again... the clothes fishermen wear leave a lot to be desired
too.
I tended to stay back at school and attempt to make friends there.
Later, I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show?
and I got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate?

I think it was a snapper?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I have fished plenty but not so much these days... My husband however is a fanatic. Fresh, saltwater doesn't matter.

To eat I would rather eat saltwater.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
As for the batter......try buttermilk for frying. TRUST me.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I love to fish but I only get freshwater fish where i am.
My old standard for cooking fish is using lots of lemon to get rid of the fishy smell and taste.When cooking fish indoors it will take the smell away so your house doesn't wreek of fish.
Pepper and garlic with onions wrapped in foil on a fire is my favourite way to cook fish.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Can't go wrong with a big fat freshly caught barramundi

Lightly battered with a bit of lemon

YUM!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

thanks for sharing your story.

saltwater shallows can be a great place to fish and i have caught alot of snapper in places like that. live shrimp or a piece of squid works best imo.

snapper are some of the best eating fish. many moons ago i was a cook at a seafood restaurant and we had Brazilian Snapper that was the bomb.

commercial fisherman wear funny clothes because things can get messy when you have hundreds of fish in the net/boat.

not sure if i want to hear about the whistling belly-button trick

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blogstalker

thanks Blogsalker,

i can understand the "fanatic" part

imo a good day on the water is a thrill and if you ever get in a school of fish in feeding frenzy,salt or fresh, it's something you will want to do again. it becomes addictive to find the same situation again.

but yea i hear ya on the saltwater fish being a better eat, but i have had some fresh water fish that are a completely different taste and texture that are also very good.

a nice clean bass filet, cooked correctly can be delicious.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben Niceknowinya

buttermilk...

yes great idea thanks. sometimes it makes the batter to thick but i will experiment with it again.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

thanks DrumsRfun,

what kind of fish are you catching ? i have over 20 yrs experience fishing freshwater and would like to know where and what kind.

usually ,i add lemon to enhance the fish not to hide anything

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

big fat freshly caught barramundi

thanks Chadwickus,

barramundi ? rings a bell but i can't say i have ever tried that before. is it only found where you are at ? how big do they get and what's the best way to catch them ? what kind of bait ?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Well my next fishing trip is next week.I finally get some holidays so I planned a little trip.I need some time to think so I am going alone.
I'll be gone for a week on the Madawaska River in Ontario,Canada.
I am looking to catch some smallmouth and some largemouth bass as well as maybe a good catfish just for the fight they give..
For breakfast if I can find a good creek,I would love to get a few brook trout.
I also love eating perch.
I can't wait til Friday!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

I'm in the Food & Wine industry.....& I'm a big time foodie.
Simplicity is a beatiful thing man......

The key is to let it drip, b4 you fry it. Don't cake it on.....and not thick......but not watered down either....but more syrupy in texture.

Also, works best for white flat flaky fish even.....The best would be flounder. Bass, etc...
Make sure to fillet no more than 1/2 inch, otherwise your batter will burn b4 the fish cooks thru.

DO NOT use for Salmon or other oily fishes.....if you're going to fry up an ioly fish, I would suggest doing a dry rub. Spices decided to compliment your palate....and definitely add a lil acidity....a bit a fresh lemon does the trick.
And don't go spending big bux.....simple pancake batter does the trick just fine.....

Let me know how it tasted!

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

sounds awesome !

i love fishing rivers/streams. my favorite is a place called Alexander Springs located near the St. Johns River in Central Florida. it actually flows into the St. Johns

i have caught thousands of largemouth Bass there and since the water is so clean, the fish taste excellent.

i was in north New Jersey many years ago camping/fishing on a river and i wanted to catch some trout. i have never used a fly rod and only had my Bass tackle at the time.

i waded out in the river and was casting a Beetle Spin and caught five trout. it was a great time, one i will never forget for many reasons.

try that beetle spin is my advice and please let us know how your trip went.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben Niceknowinya

The key is to let it drip, b4 you fry it.

yes i agree, to much batter is not good. i have used a light batter and you needed to cake it on or not let it drip. i guess it all depends on the batter recipie and what kind of filet it is ?

i have noticed it's not easy to get the same results everytime.

good advice on the oily fish
thanks i will remember that one

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Personally I prefer my fish baked with just a touch of bread crumbs and seasonings. A lot of fish has such a delicate taste I don't like to loose it in batter, sauces and wine etc.

Although a good fish and chip once in awhile is great.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
[edit on 22-6-2009 by TruthJusticeFreedom]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by easynow

I am a passionate fisherman. I have owned a guide/outfitting fly fishing business in the past, fishing the streams and rivers here in the Rocky Mts.
Concentrating mainly on the world class, catch and release San Juan here in New Mexico.

I also love fishing for Bones on the flats in the Keys, Belize and Mexico. Also for Specs and Reds in the intercoastal waterway, Padre Island, Texas.

Currently I am addicted to catching huge Cats and Carp in the Rio Grande on a fly rod. A short bicycle ride from my home.

Very seldom do I eat anything I catch. If I wanna eat fish, I go to Red Lobster.

I have nothing against people keeping a few fish to eat but I prefer to catch and release so future generations can have something to catch.

Peace and tight lines!!

[edit on 23-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by easynow

I think Barra is pretty common around the world, it goes by different names though.

This vid is good, despite being an informercial for lures it shows one way to catch them, I prefer to trawl with the lure.

Once they're on they're great fun, good fighter, likes jumping.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
C. thanks for the video. And EasyNow, thanks for starting this thread. It reminds me that I need to spend more time on the water and less time on the www.

Here is my home water. The beautiful San Juan in the Land of Enchantment.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 23-6-2009 by whaaa]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join