It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you survey the skys at night?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Hey folks,
About 2 weeks ago, I poked around on the mufon website and seen someone closeby reporting up to 12 sightings a night...contacted him just out of curiousity and he told me how to look for "them".

simple steps:
Once the sun goes down and you start seeing the first stars at night, go outside for a couple hours with binoculars (and bug spray)...you will see plenty of moving starlike objects.
Now, he gave me a couple websites to check for the traffic of space for satellites, debris, etc:
For the USA: this one is the easiest to schedule - www.spaceweather.com...

and a nice nasa realtime tracker: science.nasa.gov...
click on the 3d option for the popup...it can update every 1/4th second

Anyhow, I did all this, and within the first night, seen something, then the next night seen a couple more(overcast nights, so very limited..)
Then we had a couple clear nights and...well, last night, seen 8.

What they look like: Well, some are almost as bright as jupiter. they move in what I call a leapfrog movement (sometimes almost stopping, sometimes speeding up bigtime). seen about 1/3rd of them change course suddenly, and sometimes after a quick stop, they blink out of existance (not sure what...zips off superfast or simply goes invisible...anyones guess).

So, theres something up there...they dont blink like aircrafts...they arent satellites, I talked to an astronomer about the possibilities of weather balloons in the stratosphere and he said balloons dont move like that (they move very slow and never turn..also extremely hard to see with the naked eye..and even binos), Ball lightning would pop out of existance after a few seconds, and if it was meteors, they would be...well, incredibly huge..along with the fact that they dont turn, stop, etc.

I know more of what they are not than what they are...I make no claim whatsoever as to what they are..just something unidentified...which is exactly what a UFO is

So, I am wondering how many others on the ATS board here walk outside and look up for a hour or two after sundown...how many average you see a night, and any interesting ones that really stood out (the ones that stop, change course always stand out to me,)

Anyhow, peace.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Good thread mate and nice too see you have thought about using the real time satelite tracker, yeh ive been also using that running upstairs from outside to check if its a satelite.

I love astronomy and always on a clear night, find myself looking up.
Also like you I have seen thes brighter objects that move, fast and silent. sometimes dissapearing.

its a UFO TO ME, I cant explain it, too slow for meteors and stuff soo dunno..

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkey76
yeh ive been also using that running upstairs from outside to check if its a satelite.

I suggest bringing a watch and a little pad, when you see em, just jot down direction and time seen...then you can simply crosscheck what was where during the time. hell of alot easier than running up and down whenever you see one (and possibly missing a few in the meantime)...although, you are certainly doing a more health conscious method. heh

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I'm the same i see a few each night and all at a few hundred feet
more than ever being seen this year...which tends to be a signal or warning for something...

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth

...which tends to be a signal or warning for something...

What makes you draw that conclusion...first off, these things have been in the sky since the dawning of history..in all the books of history, etc...I mean, this could actually just be a unidentified atmospheric phenomona which we have yet to document (I dont believe that frankly, but could be..belief does not equal truth)..
but that statement could be made for any point in history...ya, theres a bunch of things moving oddly above our head, always has been...I dont think we should read too much into the intent, else we start simply creating yet another mythology based on assumptions started by seeing something we cannot understand. (like the truth isnt hard enough to figure out)

Peace

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The skies are rich with cosmic activity my friend.

And it's ony gonna get better.

Love&Light

jacob

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
My vote...

CRITTERS Plasma life forms

They are harmless, they have always been here and they live in the atmosphere and space.

If you really want to see them see if you can borrow some night vision goggles. Generation 3 is best but those run around 3-4 thousand

OH and watch just before and around a big thunderstorm

[edit on 21-6-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
avid skywatcher, both day and night. I'd love to see something I couldn't explain. I've seen objects three times in my life that were unidentified, the last time about six years ago.

I use NV, although it is only a 2nd gen. I have great "seeing" here, with nearly a 360 horizon view and very clear air.

I go to www.heavens-above.com almost daily, to track known terrestrial satellites. I've not ever seen anything "leapfrog". I think that would be wonderful. I regularly take or attempt to photo the green flash, so often I'm taking photos at sundown.

OP, any additional info you can give us to help us to replicate your experience will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Zorgon for the tip....... I'll watch more closely around thunderstorms.

cheers all

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
OP, any additional info you can give us to help us to replicate your experience will be greatly appreciated!

Thats just it, I really dont know why some people dont see em, to me, its like seeing a fish in a pond, its just there and you wonder why some people cant see it.

Perhaps have a friend or two sit out with you so you can scan the skys in a larger degree?
I will say, there are times that it takes 20-25 minutes at times before seeing something (besides shooting stars, planes, helicopters, etc).

just look at stars, look at them for a few seconds with your naked eye, look for any oddities, anything moving, then move to a different section of the sky.

the person I talked to theorized that your seeing the sun reflecting off of the object, hense why you watch them right after sundown for about 90 minutes when they are most visible, after which, they are in shadow..
and I have not seen many after about 10:30pm here (which is about right...stars start coming out at about 9pm here currently).

Have binos closeby, but keep in mind the binos are to verify its not a airplane...use naked eye to spot em to begin with, else you are seriously limiting your field of view.

I tried something last night, I am agnostic and so no real structured religion or prayer. I have a love for science and a open mind about possibilities. I did a prayer last night...not a our father or anything...just stating my beliefs to date and possibilities I entertain (genetic manipulation, watchers, etc)...if anyone was listening in, they would have probably wrote it off as a dissertation of fringe science and quantum physics I was having by myself, but whatever...to me, it was fully based in a actual belief. During this "prayer", I seen 3...interrupting me each time...this was the most at a single time I seen...
Coincidence? maybe...but hey, if someone says dance on a leg and ring a bell and you will see a leprecaun...might as well give it a go and see what happens. I think if that does have anything to it, its not the words that mattered, it was the belief and intent of the words that mattered..it was stuff I truely believed...hell, if I was simply quoting darwinian science and applying it towards galactic evolution, it might have had the same effect...basically stimulating a different part of the mind.

again, this is all just shoot from the hip speculation...in all honesty, I dont know how to improve chances...so, try different things (someone suggested a flashlight to flash em when you see em and they will do some funky stuff...havent tried that yet.)

Theres plenty of people on the net that call themselves ufo summoners and such, and they do these prayers and all sorts and then go on about how since they seen something after they pray, what they pray for or to therefore is the only way...this I fully disagree with...if my agnostic arse can see the same and more things they see, then I could put the argument that simply a open mind is important, but frankly, I believe you dont even need a open mind to see em...again, its like seeing a fish in a pond...its simply there and cannot be denied...now, theories of what they are can be numerous.

So, to make a short story long
my suggestions are:
have binos closeby, but scan with the naked eye
do it after sun goes down for 2 hours
dont get bored...it can get boring at times...listen to some music (not too noisy though, nothing that detracts from attention)
have a friend or two help scan.
say a belief system that incorporates something greater than yourself on a galactic level (aka, prayer...if the our father works...sure..but just make sure the belief is there...not a hope, a actual belief..even if its silly or scientific).
be away from light pollution if possible

I find the best time is about 9:30ish timeframe...so dont get disappointed if you dont see within the first 20 minutes or so.

that help?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Was there a particular portion of the sky where these things were seen? I've used NV and other than what appeared to be meteors I've not had any luck with them. Not sure what genteration they are, thought they were 3rd, but may me 2nd.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraclete1
Was there a particular portion of the sky where these things were seen?

All over, different areas, different paths, different speeds, and often it changes.
I am not special btw, I am not a prophet, I dont believe anything is trying to contact me, etc...so dont think that your discluded. if the night is clear tonight, go sit around for a hour or two right after sunset, worst case senario, you have a calm night under the stars, so that in itself is a reward. have a steady eye, a couple of em I seen came into view for a minute, sorta poked around a area...stopped, and then disappeared...barely moving a erm...foot or two (hand extended in front of you as a measurement) in the sky. if I was to liken it to anything, it reminded me of someone whom had his car stall...rolled a bit, stopped, turned the engine over, moved and took off...then some simply beam across the sky...
when I say a leapfrog movement, I was just trying to say it was inconsistant speed (which would be a satellite or big meteor path)...meaning it goes slow...then fast, etc...

you will get a strange feeling also when you see em, but that could be just psychological.

anyhow, just scan as much of the sky as possible...dont move your eyes too fast, some of em can be quite dim and you may pass by them at a glance...a slow steady scan...but obviously the best seen are when they fly right overhead in that area. maybe less atmospheric interference.

oh, and I suggest being on a reclining lawn chair or something that doesnt give you neck problems.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I live a couple of hundred yards from the sea on the south coast in the UK...

I regularly look at the sky, its so clear compared to London, haven't seen anything ever!!!!! gutted.....

Got my night vision binoculars just in case though......

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by slinkey10
I regularly look at the sky, its so clear compared to London, haven't seen anything ever!!!!! gutted.....

That sucks...not sure why.
I am wondering if I need to start filming these things, but I think that the camera wouldnt really do it justice maybe, along with the fact that I am frankly not interested if people believe me or not..I would rather just tell people where to look and see em yourself verses me trying to convince people the stuff I see is actually there...

maybe its one of those things that your mind filters out because of some sort of disbelief...I read somewhere that the mind spends 80% of its power filtering things out so that reality makes sense..sorta like, in a snowstorm, unless its insanely bad, you can see trees and such fine, seeing through all the falling snowflakes to where they are simply ignored...or, if you focus in and purposefully see the snowflakes, you can see individual flakes falling from the sky...maybe this is sorta like this, your conscious mind is looking at space, stars, etc...so your mind tends to block out the things that dont fit...
just a theory...I mean, I am open to other concepts.

I live next to the beach (In Florida) and seen plenty of these things going east towards and over the ocean, so its not like they fear water. lol.

I find it highly improbable that it could be some sort of location issue...aka, they dont like flying over the UK in case Dr. Who shows up or something..but who knows..one thought is that these things are secret squirrel american military high altitude spacecrafts or whatnot...and so one would see them over the US moreso than the rest of the world...but thats a bunch of bullocks imo.

I think I vote for the subconscious blocking theory...I go out wondering how many I will see, not if I will see any. the more sure I am going to see em, the more I see..its not a if, its a numbers game for me...but took me awhile to see the first one (it was a damn impressive superbright gotta be blind to miss it one)...and that was it for that night...second night, 1 more as I assumed I may see one...then I just changed my thought process, and instead of doing the wish thing, I was doing the more science based count thing...that might have unblocked me...but I really really dont know.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
My vote...

CRITTERS Plasma life forms

They are harmless, they have always been here and they live in the atmosphere and space.

If you really want to see them see if you can borrow some night vision goggles. Generation 3 is best but those run around 3-4 thousand

OH and watch just before and around a big thunderstorm

[edit on 21-6-2009 by zorgon]

I agree with this theory... I've just never had the nerve
to voice it!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

"maybe its one of those things that your mind filters out because of some sort of disbelief...I read somewhere that the mind spends 80% of its power filtering things out so that reality makes sense..sorta like, in a snowstorm, unless its insanely bad, you can see trees and such fine, seeing through all the falling snowflakes to where they are simply ignored...or, if you focus in and purposefully see the snowflakes, you can see individual flakes falling from the sky...maybe this is sorta like this, your conscious mind is looking at space, stars, etc...so your mind tends to block out the things that dont fit...
just a theory...I mean, I am open to other concepts."

Wish it was that! then I could do something about it...

I'm seriously not one of those people who are shut off or blinkered, I'm one of those people who go through life with their eyes open...

Weird though because I'm from London, and the sky's are so polluted and hazy there. I was looking forward to being where I am as its is SO clear, pretty amazing, was hoping I would see something as I'm back to London in a couple of mths!

Was thinking of hiring a laser to attract some attention?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by slinkey10

I was looking forward to being where I am as its is SO clear, pretty amazing, was hoping I would see something as I'm back to London in a couple of mths!

Was thinking of hiring a laser to attract some attention?

Just noticed the time, as your posting this, isnt this the prime time to see such objects over there?
I dont think its going to come across your moniter...shut it down, go outside, and chill there for a hour or so, else your just pretending to be interested...unless its a complete overcast of course.

good luck

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
lol....SaturnFX

My patio is opposite a street light, they switch them off at about 1am(to save money)

I always wait till then!

[edit on 21-6-2009 by slinkey10]

[edit on 21-6-2009 by slinkey10]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I sit outside and skywatch most nights when the skies are clear and it is very rare that I don't see activity of some sort---from shooting stars and satellites to actual ufo's.
The skies are very clear with no light pollution where I live so I am very lucky there.
Its also close to Menwith Hill.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Posted in a different thread that was several days/weeks old by me earlier today...

Originally posted by Vyncent
I've always been on the fence about UFO's...I'd always look up at the night time sky and think "They could be out there", it's kind of selfish to look at the sky and think that we are the only ones in this massive universe.

In my little corner of the world, nothing ever happens. It's always the same old same old day in day out eat, sleep, drink routine.

That is, until very recently.

Last Tuesday, my friend of 20 + years was over (The sky was crystal clear this night, I recall seeing the milky way, which typically isn't viewable from where I live) and I looked up and saw a massive...plane? (It did have the green and red blinking lights on each wing like a plane does) The thing had to be HUGE. It wasn't that high, it made no noise, and it had two massive rectangular shaped lights (although you could make out some sort of grillwork over the 'lights') on the back of it. I saw the same thing two other times that night. The first time, it was flying West to East, and the other two times, it was flying East to West. (I had gone back into my home between these sightings).

My friend left my abode around 1:30ish, and I stayed up the remainder of the night either reading threads on A.T.S. or playing a computer video game, can't remember which, but I took my dog out around 3:15 a.m., and that is when I started noticing that our oh-so lonely corner of the world isn't so lonely any longer.

There were lights, way way way up there that were moving, most of them South to North, I saw three of them that night, and one of them, before it was out of my line of sight, curved and illuminated itself faintly.

Since that night, the skies have been mostly cloudy/obscured by clouds.
That is, until last night. Again, I took my dog out and was smoking a cigarette with an eye on the sky. I first saw two of the same distant lights going the same direction, South to North.

I really didn't make much of these lights, until last night. The last light I saw was moving North to South, and it was dim at first, but the thing got very very bright for about three seconds, then faded back to its beginning state. I watched the thing for as long as I could see it, but it didn't do it again.
That sent chills down my spine. I once was on the fence, lol, I'm not any longer.

Heads up to those that live in the midwestern U.S.A ...I'm from central Illinois. Watch the sky between 3 a.m. and when the stars start to fade out from dawn.

I don't know what is up with all the U.F.O. traffic here...I don't live near any large military bases (lol, that I know of), our airport only has two runways, and I live on the outer edge of the city...

One last note. I have sat on my porch and observed this. All of these have been from straight overhead and down to the west. The eastern hemisphere of the sky is blocked by my house.

I find myself wishing I had the proper equipment to record these. I have an ANTIQUE video camera that still takes the regular sized VHS tapes and a Minolta Dimage Z1 digital camera with 10x optical zoom, 3.2 megapixels. I have tried photographing the night time sky with my digital camera before, but could see nothing.

Coincidence?

I did not view/read this thread until after I woke up.
Timestamp from original reply: posted on 21-6-2009 @ 06:11 AM single this post

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Vyncent

You're very lucky cos the skies in the midwest are amazing for skywatching, we crossed the midwest and stopped frequently to look at the stars.
I've seen 3 ufo's very similar to what you describe--they are out there alright.
Alien or military though, who knows ??

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join