It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Work Begins On New Mexico Spaceport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Ground has been broken on the construction site of Spaceport America, the world's first purpose-built commercial spaceport. Those behind the project say that it will help provide a new chapter in space exploration. When finished in 18 months' time, the facility will house Virgin Galactic's space tourism business and other firms working in the commercial space arena.

Edit to include Image.

Source

[edit on 21-6-2009 by bharata]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I did a search for this topic and could not find a thread on it.

I just love this kind of news, it really is exciting for me when I hear of a Space port being built and in my life time.

As soon as I can I will get up there and see our world.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by bharati]
I did a search for this topic and could not find a thread on it.

I just love this kind of news, it really is exciting for me when I hear of a Space port being built and in my life time.

As soon as I can I will get up there and see our world.

You wouldn't find a thread on a Mexican Spaceport as there not building a spaceport in Mexico... the spaceport is being built in New Mexico a US state that rests neatly between Texas and Arizona...
the space port is being built not to far from away from the VLA and Whitesands Missile range, kind of south central New Mexico, south of Albuquerque...
You can read local stories here

[edit on 21-6-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Sorry about that, I have changed the title now.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I wonder how long it will take for this to become affordable.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Thank you so much

I've been monitoring the development of this construction, apparently another port may be built in Scotland

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Nice, you completely inspired me to check that out.

And here it is!

Spaceport Scotland

It's going to be at RAF Lossiemouth. Sounds truly amazing.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyborg_Watson
I wonder how long it will take for this to become affordable.

Well from what I hear Virgin air will be offering the first rides... If I remember right you'll get something like five minutes in zero G for around $200,000 USD...

There hasn't been word if anyone else is going to offer rides so it could take quite sometime before normal folks like us can afford to stand in line for a ticket

[edit on 21-6-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by purehughness

And here it is!

Spaceport Scotland

Awesome our very own spaceport in the UK. Damn i hope i get to go up there in my lifetime, I bet that kind of experience would be mind blowing.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Meh i'll summon Sislix when she is in the area, who cares for 5 minutes of zero G's

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tempest501

Originally posted by purehughness

And here it is!

Spaceport Scotland

Awesome our very own spaceport in the UK. Damn i hope i get to go up there in my lifetime, I bet that kind of experience would be mind blowing.

Mind blowing till you land back down to find out you live in such a place.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Welcome to Spaceport Scotland...

...It's not simply the big boost for tourism, or the opportunities for hi-tech supplies and services. It's the spreading of the spirit of exploration and adventure that's taken shape in the sunshine of the Californian desert at Mojave.

Haha what a sham. They are talking about sunshine and happiness and all things HIPPY!! Lol nice find though

[edit on 21-6-2009 by ParaZep]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by bharata

Perhaps you might find this interesting as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Just read through it and flagged, its a topic that I have not been monitoring because I thought it was still way off in the future but it looks like we are a lot closer than I thought.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
With all of the issues going on economically, politically, and socially in the US, I can't believe that the New Mexico government even has the cajones to spend that kind of money on such an extravagant project at this time, especially when no one else is spending money on extravagance.

Where is all of the money [notice I didn't mention 'dollars'] that this project is supposed to eventually generate come from? And how long will it be before it generates a profit, let alone breaks-even? Meanwhile, is the wait worth the budget-tightening in other more important areas [social services, healthcare, etc.]?

Oh ya, that's right! I totally forgot, silly me! We really need a commercial spaceport right now.

Seems like more government waste to me...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Thats is kind of what I was thinking as well and also why I am so surprised that this project is going ahead. Why in the middle of a global recession is this happening? I mean get the economy back on track first then go all out buck rogers style.

But what if there is more to this than meets the eye, I will do a bit more digging an post my findings.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Ok I found this on the Spaceport America website.

Two independent studies have forecasted the future of Spaceport America with differing, but positive projections. A study conducted by New Mexico State University projects that by Spaceport America’s fifth year of operation, it will employ 2,300 people with a payroll of $300 million. Download the NMSU study. Futron Corporation predicts that by 2020, Spaceport America will employ more than 5,000 people with an excess of $1 billion in total revenues. Download the Futron study.

Source

Going by these figures it seems that it will be viable. Also with the lunar X prize up for grabs the amount of business potential is quite big. Now how this will better the poor people needs to be seen.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I thought Space was only accessible from Cape Kennedy.
New Mexico is a UFO port if anything.
The Sheriffs were checking everyone's rifle for the one that shot
at a saucer.
We don't even know have many houses have been hit by rookie
saucer pilots.

new topics

top topics

join